"Circus" era was bigger than "Back to basics" era (album / singles sales, streaming numbers, touring stats, analysis revealed inside)

Dinirocal

Like... who cares?  Circus was Britney's big comeback as a pop star after years of drama and bullshit, whereas Back to Basics was just another Christina album/era without any "comeback" hype to promote it.   Totally incomparable.  

Also, can we leave this "Britney vs. Christina" garbage in 2003 where it belongs?  Thanks. :byebitch:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i barely know anyone who knows lady marmalade, and the ones i do are more into pink than xtina. and im the only one of my friends that knows about dirrty or the sleazy video. however i can start humming/playing Amy, 3, or TTWE and everybody picks up the tune. same for HIAM, IWG, S&S, WB, and PG. 

5 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

Amy, TTWE and 3 have been forgotten. Circus was sucessful but not iconic. And people remember Dirrty and Lady Marmalade.

i barely know anyone who knows lady marmalade, and the ones i do are more into pink than xtina. and im the only one of my friends that knows about dirrty or the sleazy video. however i can start humming/playing Amy, 3, or TTWE and everybody picks up the tune. same for HIAM, IWG, S&S, WB, and PG. 

22 hours ago, The Greatest Show said:

I honestly dont care about success that much (unless its as bad as Bionic, Lotus, BJ or Glory)  I appreciate both albums for different reasons. Circus was Britneys comeback. It had great visuals, Music Videos and an impressive tour.

Back To Basics was visually stunning, was creative and had amazing lyrics and vocals. The Music Videos were all gorgeous and so was the tour.

Also I love How they all go together and have a theme.

B2B was a good era for Christina, but I thought she oversang most of the album

Stripped was  such a good balance between the different dynamics in her voice

12 minutes ago, Iexpectyouto said:

I get it depends on where you live. dirrty was a hit in Europe so a lot of people remember it PG, WB and Amy didnt do well here. Most people I know havent heard of those songs. And most people dont even seem to recognize Britney on WB.

"Circus" just brings great memories to me.  "Womanizer" was massive and its music video was pure classic Britney, the "Circus" music video is like the most stylish thing she's done and "If U seek Amy" was fierce, she looked beautiful and I loved the Tour it had a stellar production and its easily among her Touring trinity. I also loved the comeback campaign / story.

3 minutes ago, The Greatest Show said:

I get it depends on where you live. dirrty was a hit in Europe so a lot of people remember it PG, WB and Amy didnt do well here. Most people I know havent heard of those songs. And most people dont even seem to recognize Britney on WB.

well i live in the southern us. as scandalous as britney was, christina basically got blacklisted after stripped. she was "trashy". i listen to her a good bit, but her music wasnt really played here. your body got some attention, plus feel this moment, moves like jagger, and say something. but she hasnt really been big here solo since what a girl wants

5 minutes ago, Iexpectyouto said:

well i live in the southern us. as scandalous as britney was, christina basically got blacklisted after stripped. she was "trashy". i listen to her a good bit, but her music wasnt really played here. your body got some attention, plus feel this moment, moves like jagger, and say something. but she hasnt really been big here solo since what a girl wants

yeah I remember that. The Dirrty MV was banned in a couple of countries and she was radio banned.

Thats another difference in Location. Fighter, Beautiful, Aint no other man, Hurt and Keeps getting better did very well here. (most of them In the US too tho)

Seriously some of you are going to downplay Dirrty and LM... Dirrty may have underperformed but the video was huge and Christina is the main female anyone will associate with LM... I mean the girl has made no impact or iconic songs or videos in the last decade apart from her collaborations at least leave her the couple she has from 15 years ago :orangu:

Also some of you are confusing impact/iconic to yourself as a fan and to the GP is too very different things... for britney In the last decade I would say maybe womanizer, circus, work ***** & ttwe.... 3? PG? Really?... no... it was good in that moment and then forgotten... 

22 hours ago, InTheZone4U said:

Seriously some of you are going to downplay Dirrty and LM... Dirrty may have underperformed but the video was huge and Christina is the main female anyone will associate with LM... I mean the girl has made no impact or iconic songs or videos in the last decade apart from her collaborations at least leave her the couple she has from 15 years ago :orangu:

Also some of you are confusing impact/iconic to yourself as a fan and to the GP is too very different things... for britney In the last decade I would say maybe womanizer, circus, work ***** & ttwe.... 3? PG? Really?... no... it was good in that moment and then forgotten... 

i just took a poll in my class. one person knows lady marmalade. another knows dirrty, because i showed her the video three years ago. but everyone in here knows 3 and pg. 

46 minutes ago, Iexpectyouto said:

i just took a poll in my class. one person knows lady marmalade. another knows dirrty, because i showed her the video three years ago. but everyone in here knows 3 and pg. 

No offence but you must be a younger fan... Britney has been active in the industry in the last decade unlike Christina so it's understandable that younger generation only knows Britney and her songs... but for the oldies like me who lived through those years Christina made an impact with those 2 songs and videos (at that time)

On 11/05/2017 at 0:49 AM, GrotesqueDiva said:

I agree, Dirrty for example wasn't successful on the charts, but in the end had a long lasting impression on the public, unlike successful songs like Circus and TTWE. I do have to say Dirrty made an impact 'cause of the sleezy video tho.

I agree. Nobody cared about the Hot 100 in the late 90s/early 2000s. TRL is what mattered and Dirrty, Slave and other so-called "flop songs" smashed in that show. Another thing is that the Hot 100 doesn't measure impact. Dirrty had impact (same with Slave). Whatever song was number 1 at the time, (most likely) can't relate.

even though circus is my favorite britney album, ı think back to basics is better.and the same goes for the tours, tcsbs is my favorite tour by britney but ı love b2b tour more.for me, stripped and back to basics are better than britney's nine albums and stripped tour and back to basics tour are better than britney's tours.

On 12.05.2017 г. at 10:27 PM, britisthecolor said:

even though circus is my favorite britney album, ı think back to basics is better.and the same goes for the tours, tcsbs is my favorite tour by britney but ı love b2b tour more.for me, stripped and back to basics are better than britney's nine albums and stripped tour and back to basics tour are better than britney's tours.

Go see Jesus! :byebitch: 

On 5/11/2017 at 5:45 PM, sibode said:

See Lana Del Rey? She has been HUGE, but ppl got used to her and her new music is almost invisible

Actually Lana hasnt made the effort to be a populair "pop" star like she did with Born To die/Paradise. She gained the fame and audience, and then went on to do whatever she wants. She gets that freedom from her label and it suits her. She knows she has to do other things than she does now to get number ones, sales, etc to be a Britney or Katy or whoever. but she doesnt give a **** and doesnt want to be that. A lotof people here dont get Lana nor her work ethic. She's not a pop star.

Archived