Truth tea: Why Britney lost the Best New Artist Grammy to XTina in 2000.

Guest StrawberryKisses

On 12/26/2016 at 11:31 AM, BraveNewSeth said:

I don't want anyone to downvote me for saying this, but Christina's debut album is arguably better than Britney's. Better production, better lyrics, it doesn't sound as dated. Of course the highs on BOMT are better than the highs on Christina's debut, but comparing album tracks, songs like Love Will Find A Way and So Emotional >>>>>>>>> Soda Pop and E-Mail My Heart.

Also, Christina was more successful than Britney IN THE U.S. Christina had three number one singles and a top three single on her debut, while Britney only had one number one single and the rest definitely underperformed. Tho they only underperformed because Britney didn't release physical CD singles when they were crucial to a songs chart performance back then.

OMG yes, tbh when it comes to which debut album I listen to the most songs from, Xtina wins hands down

So Emotional - I thought it was about interracial domestic abuse

Love for All Seasons- Still a BOP!!!

Somebody's Somebody- I love the heavy Notorious B.I.G influenced ending

Those are just album cuts, the singles we big hits too, especially since "Reflection" was used as the them for Disney's 'Mulan" ANNNND Xtina was singing in English AND Spanish

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest StrawberryKisses
3 minutes ago, Joey Angel said:

OMG yes, tbh when it comes to which debut album I listen to the most songs from, Xtina wins hands down

Those are just album cuts, the singles we big hits too, especially since "Reflection" was used as the them for Disney's 'Mulan" ANNNND Xtina was singing in English AND Spanish

SOMEBODY'S SOMEBODY :carpoolney:

Obvious :otears:

2 hours ago, Joey Angel said:

LMAO :unbelievableney:

But yes, I LOVE Christina's debut! It was actually my favorite album by her until she released Lotus lol. The singles are all 10/10 smashes, but even the album cuts slay. I've been getting my life to Love Will Find A Way over the past few days. It's late 90s bubblegum pop goodness at it's best. And surprisingly, her Spanish songs are really good too! I usually don't like songs in different languages because I like being able to sing along, but Genio Atrapido (sp?) is a BOP.

On 12/27/2016 at 1:15 AM, Arya said:

CA was more mature and its better but we have to keep in mind that Britney recorded the album when she was 15-16 years old. The album was released when she just turned 17 years old.

CA was recorded when Christina was 17-18 years old and it was released months before her 19th bday so it makes a difference that  GIAB was released when she was 2 years older than Britney was in BOMT.

Britney was even Younger when she released oops than xtina was when CA was released.

i dont think their ages had anything to do with it i mean they are only ONE year apart. it's just their labels and who they chose for them to work with. christina's sound is more soulful/r&b while britney is more pop. they pretty much still are.

15 minutes ago, BOBIBCFBG said:

i dont think their ages had anything to do with it i mean they are only ONE year apart. it's just their labels and who they chose for them to work with. christina's sound is more soulful/r&b while britney is more pop. they pretty much still are.

They are one year apart but britney recorded bomt when she was 15-16 years old and bomt the single wws released when Britney was 16 years old. Christina recorded CA when she was 17-18 years old and GIAB was released when she was 18 years old. Christina is older than Britney and GIAB came almost one year after BOMT. 

I think the fact Christina wasnt as young as Britney when she got the record deal might have smt to do with it. Soda pop and email my heart is still chidish for a 17 years old (the age Britney had when she released bomt), but imagine an almost 19 years old singing? Itd be more "cringeworth" imo.

Anyday, ia with u but i also think the age has smt to do with it too.

On 12/28/2016 at 0:03 PM, Arya said:

They are one year apart but britney recorded bomt when she was 15-16 years old and bomt the single wws released when Britney was 16 years old. Christina recorded CA when she was 17-18 years old and GIAB was released when she was 18 years old. Christina is older than Britney and GIAB came almost one year after BOMT. 

I think the fact Christina wasnt as young as Britney when she got the record deal might have smt to do with it. Soda pop and email my heart is still chidish for a 17 years old (the age Britney had when she released bomt), but imagine an almost 19 years old singing? Itd be more "cringeworth" imo.

Anyday, ia with u but i also think the age has smt to do with it too.

i just dont think a few years made a difference. like i said, their sounds came from who their labels chose for them to work with. i mean take OIDIA - that was released in 2000 and Genie was 1999 yet still sounded more mature than Oops

On 26.12.2016 at 2:10 PM, StrawberryKisses said:

Not trying to start a war between fanbases, but having just re-listened to Xtina's debut (I was sad okay :otears:)

• Britney worked with Swedish producers for majority of the album. She was flown to Sweden.  XTina worked with AWARD-WINNING writers such as Dianne Warren. All of Britney's writers for BOMT were unheard of in the US. There comes the first snub.
  • COME AT ME... but Xtina's debut is much more DEEP (not 'better') in lyrical content than Britney. BOMT was about Soda-Pops and Emailing hearts. XTina had beautiful, strong ballads on this record. So Obvious. I Turn To You. Reflection.
  • Christina had a more sophisticated, mature image. Her music was heavily R&B influenced, which became very popular during the millennium. Max Martin's BOMT work sounded much like how he helped Robyn in 1995.
  • This is where it hurts. Both Xtina and Britney had brilliant voices... but from an elitist and music critic perspective... Christina had a more 'true' voice. Britney's voice was kind of gimmicky. Max Martin was stupid here. Britney didn't need to get that 'baby' voice. @I'mSoCurious was pure pop without having to have that nasal voice. XTina was a success using her real voice.

Of course Britney is still the living legend... but having both stanned both of them when young, they were really to good artists of their own. I'm not biased. I only stated disliking XTina after Stripped because her image was too raunchy... and apparently she became quite the diva.

Mno. That's like saying both Madonna and Mariah have brilliant voices. Why y'all keep playing? Xtina has the voice and she deserved that Grammy. Let's move on. 

2 hours ago, Бри́тни Спирс said:

Mno. That's like saying both Madonna and Mariah have brilliant voices. Why y'all keep playing? Xtina has the voice and she deserved that Grammy. Let's move on. 

You can have a great voice without being a belter like Mariah or Christina........I mean Britney has a very unique voice which is where the "both have brilliant voices" comes from I'm sure! 

Has any of you even watched a concert dvd of christina? Sure Britney can dance and had great production but Aguilera was not that much apart in her beginning years, nobody can deny. And that whilst singing most part of it live (and at that time she really wasn´t screaming that much). 

Pay respect when it is due.

I love both, though christina isn´t my cup of tea when it comes to personality. 

Archived