Truth tea: Why Britney lost the Best New Artist Grammy to XTina in 2000.

Guest StrawberryKisses

Guest StrawberryKisses

Not trying to start a war between fanbases, but having just re-listened to Xtina's debut (I was sad okay :otears:)

• Britney worked with Swedish producers for majority of the album. She was flown to Sweden.  XTina worked with AWARD-WINNING writers such as Dianne Warren. All of Britney's writers for BOMT were unheard of in the US. There comes the first snub.
  • COME AT ME... but Xtina's debut is much more DEEP (not 'better') in lyrical content than Britney. BOMT was about Soda-Pops and Emailing hearts. XTina had beautiful, strong ballads on this record. So Obvious. I Turn To You. Reflection.
  • Christina had a more sophisticated, mature image. Her music was heavily R&B influenced, which became very popular during the millennium. Max Martin's BOMT work sounded much like how he helped Robyn in 1995.
  • This is where it hurts. Both Xtina and Britney had brilliant voices... but from an elitist and music critic perspective... Christina had a more 'true' voice. Britney's voice was kind of gimmicky. Max Martin was stupid here. Britney didn't need to get that 'baby' voice. @I'mSoCurious was pure pop without having to have that nasal voice. XTina was a success using her real voice.

Of course Britney is still the living legend... but having both stanned both of them when young, they were really to good artists of their own. I'm not biased. I only stated disliking XTina after Stripped because her image was too raunchy... and apparently she became quite the diva.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest StrawberryKisses
1 minute ago, Britney M. Carey said:

In general it comes down to who has better vocal ability and album lyrical content, you mean that?

:chershade: You said it, not me

The Grammys are v corrupt, but even before that they were out of touch and old fashioned. Christina was the new mariah, Britney was the new Debby Gibson. BOMT had one #1 single and two top 10's, CA had like three #1's and four top 10's. Lyrical content, musical production, vocals....it was a no brainer for them to give it to Christina in 1999. But of course we know how the story goes after that...:foh:

22 minutes ago, StrawberryKisses said:

:chershade: You said it, not me

33 minutes ago, StrawberryKisses said:

Not trying to start a war between fanbases, but having just re-listened to Xtina's debut (I was sad okay :otears:)

• COME AT ME... but Xtina's debut is much more DEEP (not 'better') in lyrical content than Britney. BOMT was about Soda-Pops and Emailing hearts. XTina had beautiful, strong ballads on this record. So Obvious. I Turn To You. Reflection.
  • This is where it hurts. Both Xtina and Britney had brilliant voices... but from an elitist and music critic perspective... Christina had a more 'true' voice. Britney's voice was kind of gimmicky.

No dahling it was you first :)

Britney had better sales and charts in everything...albums (everyone knows that so no need for providing proof)
//Xtinas debut album had average sales for 1999 (While Britney and Backstreet Boys were selling over 20mil)//

+ "Baby one more Time" sold more in the US than Christina did worldwide.

and while Brit didn't have much of a good charting in the US, she had more global singles..

UK:
...Baby One More Time: #1, 1,545,000 copies sold (5th biggest female single of all time)
Sometimes: #3, 460,000 copies sold
(You Drive Me) Crazy: #5, 290,000 copies sold
Born To Make You Happy: #1, 340,000 copies sold

Genie In A Bottle: #1, 675,000 copies sold
What A Girl Wants: #3, 200,000 copies sold
I Turn To You: #19, 40,000 copies sold
Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You): #8, 110,000 copies sold

Germany:
...Baby One More Time: #1, certified 3x Gold (750,000)
Sometimes: #6
(You Drive Me) Crazy: #4, certified Gold (250,000)
Born To Make You Happy: #3, certified Gold (250,000)

Genie In A Bottle: #2, certified Platinum (500,000)
What A Girl Wants: #18
I Turn To You: #65
Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You): #23

France:
...Baby One More Time: #1, certified Platinum (500,000)
Sometimes: #13, certified Silver (120,000)
(You Drive Me) Crazy: #2, certified Gold (250,000)
Born To Make You Happy: #9, certified Silver (120,000)

Genie In A Bottle: #3, certified Gold (250,000)
What A Girl Wants: #11
I Turn To You: failed to chart
Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You): #41

Australia:
...Baby One More Time: #1, certified 3x Platinum (210,000)
Sometimes: #2, certified Platinum (70,000)
(You Drive Me) Crazy: #12, certified Platinum (70,000)
From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart: #37

Genie In A Bottle: #3, certified Platinum (70,000)
What A Girl Wants: #5, certified Gold (35,000)
I Turn To You: #40
Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You): #9, certified Platinum

And it's the same result in Italy, the Netherlands, Sweden, Ireland, Denmark, etc.

:truthtea:

Britney was the IT girl.
There were so many copies of her (Mandy,Jessica (and even Xtina tbh)).
There were even ANTI-Britneys (P!nk and Avril).

So the impact is clearly a Britney win here yet AGAIN. :drinky:

------------

The "Baby One More Time Tour" grossed almost 3 times as much as Christina's debut tour (with less shows).:zoomzoom:

Christina Aguilera in Concert did 13,500,000 Dollars.

Some big names were edged out of the top 20. Rockers Pearl Jam landed at #28, with $15.9 million in revenue, while Christina Aguilera found herself at #33, earning $13.5 million.

x
(Britney was/is always bigger in touring.Xtina even needed Justin (or they both needed one another tbh) to go on tour.)
:lollistare:
----

I agree about the thing that Xtina worked with people with closer relations to the Grammys and stuff (although I am pretty sure artists who worked with foreigners, won too)...
I don't know about the "deep" lyrics..if this is the only reason for winning then.. :ehum:
oh! lets not forget +the deep voice.. or something
it will be really dumb if they chose the winner just based on those things too..

Just accept it...the Grammys aren't anything different from the other awards...there IS politics and you probably can PAY for it! (Kanye even said that Bey said she will perform if she wins a certain category) :yeahsure:
Like Beyonce having more wins than Mariah,Whitney and Janet combined?
like...Bey is great and all but I don't think she should have more grammys then them combined.(that is why only bey fans defend the grammys tbh)

idk...that's my opinion:mariahstare:
58 minutes ago, Soni said:

Britney had better sales and charts in everything...albums (everyone knows that so no need for providing proof)
//Xtinas debut album had average sales for 1999 (While Britney and Backstreet Boys were selling over 20mil)//

+ "Baby one more Time" sold more in the US than Christina did worldwide.

and while Brit didn't have much of a good charting in the US, she had more global singles..

:truthtea:

Britney was the IT girl.
There were so many copies of her (Mandy,Jessica (and even Xtina tbh)).
There were even ANTI-Britneys (P!nk and Avril).

So the impact is clearly a Britney win here yet AGAIN. :drinky:

------------

The "Baby One More Time Tour" grossed almost 3 times as much as Christina's debut tour (with less shows).:zoomzoom:

Christina Aguilera in Concert did 13,500,000 Dollars.

x
(Britney was/is always bigger in touring.Xtina even needed Justin (or they both needed one another tbh) to go on tour.)
:lollistare:
----

I agree about the thing that Xtina worked with people with closer relations to the Grammys and stuff (although I am pretty sure artists who worked with foreigners, won too)...
I don't know about the "deep" lyrics..if this is the only reason for winning then.. :ehum:
oh! lets not forget +the deep voice.. or something
it will be really dumb if they chose the winner just based on those things too..

Just accept it...the Grammys aren't anything different from the other awards...there IS politics and you probably can PAY for it! (Kanye even said that Bey said she will perform if she wins a certain category) :yeahsure:
Like Beyonce having more wins than Mariah,Whitney and Janet combined?
like...Bey is great and all but I don't think she should have more grammys then them combined.(that is why only bey fans defend the grammys tbh)

idk...that's my opinion:mariahstare:

Not true honey, not all of it anyway. Bomt sold 10 million in the us . Christina's debut sold like 18 million worldwide. Some sources say more than 20 million. So what your saying is actually very inaccurate...., of course Britney always had more success,  but there's no reason to diminish xtina, with something so obviously inaccurate lol

4 minutes ago, austsilva said:

No Christina almost never sold more than Britney and especially with they're debuts 

Bomt sold what like 28-30 million ww. Christina's debut did sell 18 million, and like I said some sources say 20 +. That's just the facts lol. To say xtinas debut sold 10 million ww or less id just such a blatant lie from biased Britney  fans. There's no proof of it whatsoever lol. Her debut was 18 million and probably even 20+. Deal with it 

14 minutes ago, Danishfan said:

Not true honey, not all of it anyway. Bomt sold 10 million in the us . Christina's debut sold like 18 million worldwide. Some sources say more than 20 million. So what your saying is actually very inaccurate...., of course Britney always had more success,  but there's no reason to diminish xtina, with something so obviously inaccurate lol

BOMT sold 14,200,000 in the US while CA sold around 8mil worldwide (not including US which was around 9mil) (CA - ESTIMATED SALES: 15 million )

Anyways u are right..I shouldn't have tried to bring another artist down just to prove how much more bigger Brit was..sorry!

Xtina is a great artist!

And her fans have always tried it with BritBrit but it is clear here that Brit is massive compared to Xtina.

but yea...

5 minutes ago, Soni said:

BOMT sold 14,200,000 in the US while CA sold around 8mil worldwide (not including US which was around 9mil) (CA - ESTIMATED SALES: 15 million )

Anyways u are right..I shouldn't have tried to bring another artist down just to prove how much more bigger Brit was..sorry!

Xtina is a great artist!

And her fans have always tried it with BritBrit but it is clear here that Brit is massive compared to Xtina.

but yea...

Again xtinas debut sold 18 million. There's plenty of proof on this lol.

edit. The album, Christina aguilera sold 9 mill in the us, and 17 million ww. 

Max Martin wasnt unknown in the US he was just known as a pop producer for BSB, NSync and Robyn. I do think you're right on a few things - Christina's album was a little more mature and Britney's was more just fun. Their albums are still like that (Britney's are way better).

I do think it came down to voices though and as annoying as Christina's screaming is, she's definitely the stronger voice. Plus she sings live.

2 minutes ago, Danishfan said:

Again xtinas debut sold 18 million. There's plenty of proof on this lol

CA sold more than BOMT? 

1 minute ago, BOBIBCFBG said:

Max Martin wasnt unknown in the US he was just known as a pop producer for BSB, NSync and Robyn. I do think you're right on a few things - Christina's album was a little more mature and Britney's was more just fun. Their albums are still like that (Britney's are way better).

I do think it came down to voices though and as annoying as Christina's screaming is, she's definitely the stronger voice. Plus she sings live.

CA sold more than BOMT? 

No nowhere near. She did 17 million ww and 9 in the us. 

I agree that Christina's album was better than ...BOMT, but we all know that she won over Britney simply because of her voice.  It's as simple as that.  It had nothing to do with the music they were doing, or that Britney was a dancer, or that Christina had a more adult image, etc.- it all came down to the fact that Christina was the type of big-voiced, belting diva that the Grammys love, whereas Britney...wasn't.  

2 minutes ago, Danishfan said:

No nowhere near. She did 17 million ww and 9 in the us. 

8 minutes ago, Danishfan said:

Again xtinas debut sold 18 million. There's plenty of proof on this lol.

edit. The album, Christina aguilera sold 9 mill in the us, and 17 million ww. 

At least provide receipts??

14mil

to

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7439077/ask-billboard-britney-spears-career-sales-how-big-a-hit-will

Britney's US 10 mil

(couldn't find other receipts...I was looking at these tho: x&b)

As much as I love Britney at the time It made sense to pick Christina. Grammys arent about album sales. These days they are about who buys them but at the time they were about vocals, lyrics and production. I think the people who decide who gets the Grammy probably saw her as a dancer who was trying to sing. They didnt take her seriously and probably only nominated her because she was super successfull. I wouldnt have given her Best new Artist baack them and I am a Britney fan. And back then I wasnt really into Christina.

Archived