Can we agree that “Lucky” is one of Britney’s best videos?

Personally, I think everything about this music video is beautifully crafted, & it’s insane to me how the song basically depicts her life, in a sugarcoated sort of way. There’s like a dark subtlety beneath the lyrics, which almost feels like she’s reservedly venting to the world — & it brings a much deeper significance to the song. It’s definitely a brilliant concept (song/video) — the storyline, wardrobe, theatrics, & her playing both characters — which again, ironically symbolizes Britney singing about/to herself. Hands down, one of her best, & most iconic visuals of her career.

Here’s the video:

Share your thoughts.

• Love 3

I love it so much! and yes I agree, it’s one of her best videos. If you see interviews from that time she was saying she didn’t relate to the song so much but I definitely feel like the pressure started very early in her career, especially during the oops! era. It seems like with every year it went by, the song’s meaning just hit deeper.

• Love 3

I still don't completely understand what it is about. I mean what it REALLY is about. There's so much meaning to it. I'm gonna try.

I see it as there's a higher self (someone or spirit who sees the bigger picture or what's best for her) of Britney telling her that there is so much more in life and that she's not happy doing what she's doing, being a hollywood star.

And in the obvious ways: why does she cry if she has everything - fame, beauty, health and wealth?

There's the thing about the smile that hides the tears that nobody sees.

She's so lucky / She's a star - maybe she's not a star in the sense of a hollywood star? The girl in red is sitted on one. She is lucky but not in the way they have told herShe is a star, but not a hollywood star.

721155dade391ab5b3e663824d98c61e.jpg

edit: just updated what I said @DoYouDare? :)

Edited by Fita
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, Fita said:

I still don't completely understand what it is about. I mean what it REALLY is about. There's so much meaning to it. I'm gonna try.

I see it as there's a higher self (someone or spirit who sees the bigger picture or what's best for her) of Britney telling her that there is so much more in life and that she's not happy doing what she's doing, being a hollywood star.

And in the obvious ways: why does she cry if she has everything - fame, beauty, health and wealth?

There's the thing about the smile that hides the tears that nobody sees.

She's so lucky / She's a star - maybe she's not a star in the sense of a hollywood star? The girl in red is sitted on one. She is lucky but not in the way they have told herShe is a star, but not a hollywood star.

721155dade391ab5b3e663824d98c61e.jpg

edit: just updated what I said @DoYouDare? :)

It means that despite having everything, she somehow feels empty & alone.

I updated to acknowledge your re-edited interpretation:

Perhaps her true happiness is indeed outside of Hollywood (if that’s what you meant) — but I also think that despite her amazing career/talents, her personal struggles have overshadowed everything good from that, so she’s unable to feel that happiness/satisfaction, even if she wanted to.

Hence, the connection with the video/song meaning. It’s definitely open for interpretation, but you’ve made a really good & solid analysis, for sure.

Edited by DoYouDare?
  • Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.