If The Conservatorship Was As Bad As We Think… Why Did Britney Lose The Lawsuit ?

3 hours ago, Pinky98 said:

The fact is, what happened to Britney was legal in the US. When you’re under a conservatorship you have no rights and they can do whatever they like in your ‘best interests’.

There will never be justice, because in the eyes of the law it was fine 

This. Britney was always going to be facing an uphill battle trying to get justice against her abusers because technically everything that happened to her while under the conservatorship was legal. There would’ve been no use in Britney trying to sue her handlers when she would’ve had to testify and relive her trauma over and over again.

The fact that she was able to even get out of the conservatorship in the first place was a miracle. 

• Love 5
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, Bingjmljr said:

If the conservatorship was as bad as we are made to believe, why has there been no justice? I believe in two sides to every story and I think as Britney fans we hated the idea of her being forced to live a life she rejected. I just don’t understand legally, if things were being handled so poorly, how did Britney lose?

So dumb.

First, there was no lawsuit. They were just wrapping up the conservatorship finances and doing discovery in the process because Team Con refused to produce any material to Britney.

Second, there's only so much movement that can be done when Britney refuses to testify.

Third, a trial would have exposed a lot of sensitive info Britney probably didn't want out and we know Team Con would have played dirty.

• Love 1
  • Like 5

Because every move was covered by the approval of a judge. 
Jamie had the power to make every decision for her, vested by the power of a  judge and every expense and action approved after every year. 
Also psychological abuse is very hard to prove. 
Also If there would have been a trial (instead of a settlement) it would be very lenghty and impossible without Britney’s testimony. She would be called to the stand and absolutely brutalised by the defence. I think that’s why she settled, because she wouldn’t want to go through the humiliation of her most intimate private life being layed out in a courtoom, in a case that would be highly publicized.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Just because someone was wronged or treated terribly, doesn't mean it would be entirely won in a court of law. many victims don't always get the justice we think they would deserve in the court system. due to many factors an discrepancies. Many times people will stop fighting in court because that in itself it a struggle mentally and takes a toll emotionally because of reliving trauma. That does not mean they "lost".

Your Misogyny has entered the chat. it's giving "maybe she shouldn't wear a short skirt if she doesn't wanna get r@ped" by you saying that just because her mental health may have struggled that we should somehow not believe her. 

The fact that she has gone through all of this and still finds joy in life is proof that her mental health is stronger than you think. 

the way you're wording it and in your replies is trying to negate her experience by saying "what we were made to believe". as much as we know now, i'm sure we still don't know half of it and you should give her some grace instead of trying to somehow minimize her experience or judge her mental health without knowing fully what she has gone through. She has said herself there are things she has not even revealed, so how about letting her live her life post conservatorship and allow her to try to move on with HER LIFE? 

and your comment above stating "britney hasn't done anything to post conversatorship to show she's thriving" the fact that she is doing WHAT SHE WANTS WITH HER LIFE is her proof and she does not need to show it to you. or anyone else because it is for herself. 

seems like you're one of those "Fans" who want her to do what you want (another form a control) and to perform and be the pre-conservatorship britney that you want her to be. 

i would hate to be a friend of yours who needs help in times of struggle if you're already judging someone ( that you dont even know) so hard for their mental health struggles. 

Edited by josjo18
  • Love 5

I think there was definitely moments where Britney was taken advantage of and where it was abusive. But I don’t think it was all that bad at times. For years it forced her to get out of bed, brush her hair, take care of herself, take medication that probably helps her in ways, be a functioning human. We saw her out grocery shopping by herself, getting Starbucks all smiles. That Britney doesn’t exist anymore. She’s clearly struggling to take care of herself. As far as legal stuff, I’m not surprised. The system is corrupt and the right people never get justice. It happens every day where guilty people walk free. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, stronger1992 said:

I think there was definitely moments where Britney was taken advantage of and where it was abusive. But I don’t think it was all that bad at times. For years it forced her to get out of bed, brush her hair, take care of herself, take medication that probably helps her in ways, be a functioning human. We saw her out grocery shopping by herself, getting Starbucks all smiles. That Britney doesn’t exist anymore. She’s clearly struggling to take care of herself. As far as legal stuff, I’m not surprised. The system is corrupt and the right people never get justice. It happens every day where guilty people walk free. 

Britney: the conservatorship was demoralizing, stripped me of my womanhood, made me feel like a child at times and also made me depressed, angry and severely traumatized.

Fans: … but she smiled while getting her starbucks and had stylists do her hair :(

Let’s be serious for a moment. If we were to put every depressed or traumatized person in Britney’s situation simply so they can be forced to “take better care of themselves” (which would have the opposite effect on their mental health… conservatorships are for people who are legitimately unable to take care of their daily needs, not for people who don’t brush their hair or feel demotivated) a LOT of people would be in a conservatorship by now. 

• Love 3

Everyone else has provided plenty of reasons why they all got away with it.

The reason Britney didn’t “win” her lawsuit against her father right away has a lot to do with how conservatorships work and how difficult it is to fight them once they're in place, especially for someone in Britney's situation. 

First, when the conservatorship was established in 2008, it was done under the claim that Britney wasn’t capable of handling her own life and finances because of mental health struggles, and if I remember correctly, the doctor that signed didn’t even physically evaluated Britney. The state was in on the con and siding with Britney would have dismantled YEARS and YEARS of wrongdoing on their part.

Also, conservatorships are typically set up for people who are elderly, severely mentally ill, or physically incapable of managing their own affairs—not for a young woman who was still able to perform, tour, and make millions of dollars. That’s the first red flag.

But the reason the conservatorship was so hard to fight is because it basically stripped Britney of all her legal rights. Under the conservatorship, her father, Jamie Spears, had control over everything: her money, her career, and even her personal decisions like medical treatments. The courts put him in charge, and she wasn’t allowed to hire her own lawyer to fight it—she was stuck with the court-appointed lawyer. That alone is messed up because how is she supposed to challenge the conservatorship if she can’t even choose her own legal representation?

Over the years, her dad and his team controlled the narrative, and the system is designed to trust the conservator (the person in charge) unless there’s clear evidence of abuse. The thing is, abuse in conservatorships isn’t always easy to prove. Britney’s father and his lawyers would claim they were doing what was in her “best interest,” and it was hard for her to get enough traction to prove otherwise, especially when the conservatorship was raking in a lot of money for those involved.

Then there’s the issue of the courts. Conservatorships are extremely hard to get out of because the person under it is treated as if they are incapable of making decisions, and the burden of proof falls on them to show they’re competent. That’s why, for so long, Britney couldn’t really fight it. Even with all her public performances and work, they’d spin it as if she needed the conservatorship to stay “safe and healthy.”

It was only when she was finally able to speak out in court—after years of silence and the #FreeBritney movement bringing attention to the situation—that the public started to realize how bad things really were. She revealed she was forced into things like working against her will, taking medications she didn’t want, and being denied basic freedoms like driving her car or getting married.

The conservatorship should’ve been questioned and re-evaluated long ago, especially because of how much money was being made off Britney’s hard work while she had little to no control over her own life. But the legal system moved slowly, and the people benefiting from the conservatorship had a vested interest in keeping it going.

So, when you ask why she didn’t just “win” the lawsuit, it’s because the system was rigged against her for so long. It was an uphill battle to prove that not only was the conservatorship no longer necessary, but that it had been abusive all along. The court system tends to err on the side of conservatorship being in place until proven otherwise, and that’s why it took so long for her to finally get free.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Bingjmljr said:

Anyone on this site who thinks the understand what happened is delusional. As I said there are two sides to every story and unfortunately we’re getting our side from someone who is obviously struggling with mental health issues… so her side is not 100% reliable.

No we’re not, most of us got it from court docs before ‘Britney’ or whoever runs her IG was ever even speaking about it. There is no way in this world putting a 26yo woman in a probate c-ship under a claim she has DEMENTIA (and also never providing a capacity declaration) isn’t completely f-ed beyond all comprehension. Britney had a cleaner for a lawyer who made the mess go away because the reality exposes what a vile industry Hollywood really is where all these celebs preach justice and #MeToo but actually sit back and say nothing about the vile abuse they witness.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, stronger1992 said:

the reason for why some of those times were good were good was because she complied and accepted what was happening . You’re acting like she never brushed her hair prior to the conservatorship lol. It was 100% abusive at all times. She isn’t your doll and she doesn’t owe you all smiles while getting Starbucks or whatever you just said. 

Edited by rik
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Bingjmljr said:

I believe in two sides to every story 

They can have all the "side" they want from their perspective that will never stop me from questionning the reasons why a woman can have a job like this :

Remembering THE CIRCUS STARRING: BRITNEY SPEARS (Pictures + GIFS) - Page 2  - Britney Community - BreatheHeavy | Exhale

but is judged that mentally incapable and unstable so she cannot use her credit card or vote.

Their "side of the story" is cr.p :whitneyshade_whitney_Houston_mad_really_blink_seriously_hmm_umm_done:

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, knee Queen of pop said:

Britney: the conservatorship was demoralizing, stripped me of my womanhood, made me feel like a child at times and also made me depressed, angry and severely traumatized.

Fans: … but she smiled while getting her starbucks and had stylists do her hair :(

Let’s be serious for a moment. If we were to put every depressed or traumatized person in Britney’s situation simply so they can be forced to “take better care of themselves” (which would have the opposite effect on their mental health… conservatorships are for people who are legitimately unable to take care of their daily needs, not for people who don’t brush their hair or feel demotivated) a LOT of people would be in a conservatorship by now. 

Also Britney:

I don’t drink alcohol 

I don’t photoshop my photos

I never lip sync 

Im never getting married again

I’ll never date a man again 

I’ve never done dr**s 

I’ll never make music again 

not saying she didn’t suffer….but come on now 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.