Pitchfork finally reviewed “Blackout”

20 minutes ago, Style. said:

Beyoncé has 107 writers on "Renaissample," yet everyone hails it as a groundbreaking masterpiece, both critics and fans alike (lmao). So, the "she doesn't write" argument really doesn't hold up here.:hahaha_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

Fun fact: Gimme More alone is out streaming the whole Renaissance album alone, and that’s what she deserves tbh! :jordan-perfume:

Beyonce has credits in every song from renaissance from what I know, it doesn't matter if she really wrote or 500 other people wrote it "with" her. That's not the point.

But whatever, I don't think you will understand

Mean Girls Smile GIF by filmeditor

Edited by Dark Willow
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

Finally! Should be a 10, but it’s a start!

As someone previously mentioned 8.1 is super high for Pitchfork, especially their anti-pop (and honestly often anti-woman) biases. Ray of Light got 8.1. The Fame Monster got 7.8. Back to Black got 6.4.

But that they were even willing to review is a huge step forward! They knew it was good back in 2007 and even heaped praise on it (see article below) but you know they were too scared their snobby readers would turn on them if they gave Britney a high score back then. That they are brave enough to do so now I’m viewing as a step forward.

PITCHFORK.COM

Sour secrets of the suburban everygirl, virginal beauty off the rails-- it's a well-worn cliché that informs art from "Twin...

• Love 1
5 hours ago, theodoritasenorita said:

At that time or since its release? 

In general, I was wondering how other female artists’ album reviews stacked up.

I glanced at their site, looks like Fiona Apple is one of the only female artists to get a 10 rating. Which, you know, is very edgy I guess. :britoverit_britney_eyeroll_roll_eyes_annoyed_whatever:

14 hours ago, Crayboy said:

If I had to quickly critique Blackout, it would be that the lyrics are just not that real. I think there was an opportunity to go the route of Piece of Me, and have lyrics with real meaning behind them, which they didn't go for.

That, and why should I be sad is the worst song on the album, and could've been replaced by some of the demos.

For me it's an 8.5 though.

But if you remember Britney wanted the album to be FUN and not about her personal life! But we all know this is arguably one one her most personal album in disguise of a dark slutty pop record…even the review stated that gimme more a song about the paparazzi, the media, fans, non fans, everyone around was paying attention to her…but they disguised it as a pop song about s**

i think the album definitely deserves a 10 after all the disrespect it received…the media knew this album was Britney’s way of getting back at them, and her team, the media wasn’t happy they couldn’t make millions off the photos and interviews they would typically get from a Britney album release cycle. She gave them NOTHING. so they made a mockery of it, and they still are to this day. 

15 hours ago, Britney671 said:

Yeah a lot of reviewers don't give pop music the credit it deserves just because it's supposed to be fun. They'll give rappers critic acclaimed status for ripping other men to shreds but when women do it, theyre sassy and mean, not to be taken seriously. 

In Britneys regard, this album changed an entire music environment. It shaped fashion, music videos, trends, decades later; they dared give it an 8.1? However, any rap music and sad boy music gets a 10?, lol.give me a break. If this album got released by Kendrick Lamar it would be a 10.

This is a masterpiece, and I'm glad these reviewers aren't taken serious anymore. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, Emil87 said:

In general, I was wondering how other female artists’ album reviews stacked up.

I glanced at their site, looks like Fiona Apple is one of the only female artists to get a 10 rating. Which, you know, is very edgy I guess. :britoverit_britney_eyeroll_roll_eyes_annoyed_whatever:

BESTSELLINGALBUMS.ORG

US: 37M

BESTSELLINGALBUMS.ORG

US: 4.5M

So Pitchfork is like the Electoral College. At least Britney won the popular in multiple countries. 

• Like 1

Pitchfork is still very relevant among reviews and they generally don't give very high ratings to pop albums. They've never reviewed a Britney album before and it's really cool that they reviewed Blackout now, especially highlighting the fact that even almost 20 years after its release, it still sounds fresh.

Here are some albums by other artists.

Taylor Swift
The Tortured Poets: 6.6
Midnights: 7.0
Folklore: 8.0

Lady Gaga
TFM: 7.8
Chromatica: 7.3
BTW: 7.9

Katy Perry
Witness: 4.8
Teenage Dream: 6.8
Smile: 5.7

Rihanna
ANTI: 7.7
Loud: 7.6

Madonna
Ray of Light: 8.1
Like a Prayer: 9.0

Billie Eilish
Happier than Ever: 7.6
Hit me Hard and Soft: 6.8

Beyoncé
Lemonade: 8.5
Renaissance: 9.0

Nice review :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad:

Love the Joan Didion comparison.

And yeah also, an 8 is high for pitchfork. Like who cares about them but it's cool they decided to re-evaluate. It brings people to listen to the album who normally wouldn't. 

BRAT got an 8.6 for current reference.

The industry was different then, if she thought it mattered she would have fought for more "songwriting" credits. And therefore people would take her more seriously as an artist.

The vocal delivery alone on this album is pure artistry. And something only Britney could/can pull off. Yes they manipulate her vocals but the the raw material is her pure essence and persona.

Not everyone can do that :sipney_britney_starbucks_straw_sipping_drinking_spill:

• Super Mods

Omg they even found a way to shade JT in here:

The year before, Spears’ superstar ex had made a promise to bring **** back. I listen to Future***/LoveSounds today and cringe, less for the pleasures of millennial misandry than for how purely wack it sounds when played next to Blackout. Why is it that Blackout sounds vital today where Future*** sounds limp, though Danja’s fingerprints are all over both records? You could call it a vibe shift: Future*** marked the end of Timbaland’s 10-year reign as urban radio innovator, while Blackout looked ahead to our synthetic future. (Timbaland’s slick beats in the late ’90s and 2000s conjured images of hoverboards and flying cars, but it’s the melancholy futurism of TLC’s FanMail that resonates today in its 1999 vision of lonely androids refreshing their inboxes.) More than that, Spears understood something Timberlake didn’t: Abjection is a powerful aphrodisiac, and desire requires a void.

I love it :yesplease_yas_agree_preach: Basiclake could never

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.