8 years ago Britney released the first single off her last album: 'Make Me...'

It was released on july, 15, 2016.

Britney about the song in a interview [about G-Eazy]: Classic guy to work with, very down-to-earth and just basically a good person. He made thinks very easy on the set when we did the video... And this is my first single of my record Glory, hope you guys like it. :)

What was your first impression when you heard it?

Edited by Fita
  • Love 3

can't believe it's been 8 years! It's definitely not one of my favorite lead singles, tbh it's actually one of her worst (only counting first singles off studio albums) – but it's still not bad, which speaks volumes regarding her discography. But there were stronger contenders on the album imo. But it's a cute song and Britney loves it & wanted it, so that's all that matters.

• Love 4

I didn’t like it at first listen, but it slowly grew on me, especially the vocals on the verses and the middle 8.

Not very impressed by the G-Eazy feature though.

If Britney wanted it to be the lead single, it’s OK, otherwise I think there were stronger contenders (Love Me Down, Better, Change Your Mind, even Do You Wanna Come Over? had they removed the male vocals on the chorus). If they still wanted the lead single to be a mid tempo, they could have chosen Mood Ring or Man on the Moon.

I loved it so much, but the music video kind of downgraded my enjoyment. It's such a different and cool lead single for her, but everything collapsed after the music video fiasco and then the rest is history.

• Like 2

I love it so much when it first came out, different sounds, very urban-pop, I think she sounded  mature ( vocally), it was a fresh new sound for Britney and her repertory (musically).  The beginning it’s unique and ouououh it’s very catchy. 

geazy was unnecessary 

the video it’s horrible 

• Love 3

8 years?! Ugh time flies. I remember hearing it for the first time and I wasn’t sure. It definitely wasn’t the Britney bopstar sound we were all familiar with. It was definitely a vibe but it’s not a song I listen to today. Neither is the Glory album. We won’t even talk about the mess of the music video…

Edited by stronger1992

I can't believe we will soon be coming up on 10 years since Britney's last album.  I remember when the time between ITZ and Blackout felt like an absolute LIFETIME.

I loved Make Me, it felt so different for Britney at the time.  Even with the official video being what it was, she looked amazing in it.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

In the first 8 years of her career she released

• ...Baby One More Time
  • Oops!... I Did It Again
  • Britney
  • In The Zone
  • Greatest Hits: My Prerogative
  • B in the mix vol 1
  • Britney and kevin : Chaotic
  • Blackout
  • 25 singles with music videos
  • Multiple TV specials and tour recordings
  • A movie
  • TV show
  • And much more

It makes me feel so old :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:

Edited by Stannedforever
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, Stannedforever said:

In 8 years she released

• ...Baby One More Time
  • Oops!... I Did It Again
  • Britney
  • Greatest Hits: My Prerogative
  • B in the mix vol 1
  • Britney and kevin : Chaotic
  • Blackout
  • 25 singles with music videos
  • Multiple TV specials and tour recordings
  • A movie
  • TV show
  • And much more

It makes me feel so old :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:

Where’s in the zone? 
spacer.png

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Make Me was a nice breath of fresh air for Britney’s discography, and yet still very much her, and I love it! I think there’s an even better song in there somewhere though (some of the lyrics are clunky, she’s hard to understand at times, G-Eazy’s verse, etc).

I DO think it would have made for a nice first single if released in May and performed at the BMAs like originally rumored, followed by a bigger and more instant smash released with the album and performed at the VMAs (or both? Even a transition would be nice). But it definitely wasn’t strong enough to carry Glory on its own, especially with it being the follow-up to Butchered Jingles.

Top 20 and platinum thoooo! And she looked amazing the whole time 🔥🔥

Edited by e_ffen
  • Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.