Britney Owned A NYC Restaurant!?

I think she did it to appease her dad, but had no intent on supporting him or hoping he would succeed beyond putting up a front so he thinks she’s helping him to try to get him out of her space. He sounds controlling, right? At the same token, she’s stuck with him. Fortunately for her, I bet she thought going on tour would distract him from placing blame on her all the while making him see he’s the driving force in his demise and self-destruction of his life. I could just see him as an opportunist that's seething seeing her succeed and wanting to exploit their relationship for his own greed and advancement. I mean, who ended up orchestrating the conservatorship? I think it has been a recurring problem for her.…how do I get rid of my sociopathic father peacefully? Sadly for her, I think she could never quite find a way to appease him enough where he was no longer a big problem in her life. 

10 hours ago, Sasha Banana said:

Actually it was named after her favorite restaurant in Kentwood.

10 hours ago, MarshallMathers said:

It was both. I distinctly remember this from 2002. I will see what I can find from the WorldOfBritney.com archives.

I mean this in the nicest way possible but you're experiencing a Mandela Effect. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

• Love 1
10 hours ago, MarshallMathers said:

It was both. I distinctly remember this from 2002. I will see what I can find from the WorldOfBritney.com archives.

Yes, it was both. Nyla's Burger Basket was her favorite and she wanted to name it that, but couldn't use Nyla's name in that way, so since it was a fusion of her being in NY and LA, she got to use the name in that way instead.

15 hours ago, MarshallMathers said:

Also, here is one version of Nyla’s menu in case anyone is curious:

so many better dining options available in NYC. with a New Orleans menu like that it was doomed to fail

still fun to look at, she's always doing something interesting

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, outrageous122 said:

I mean this in the nicest way possible but you're experiencing a Mandela Effect. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

No, I’m not. This one doesn’t have a Britney quote, but this is one example of what we read back in 2002. Fans who really followed this in mid-2002 would see both explanations, whereas the mainstream press (which represents most of today’s available archives) weren’t even aware of the Nyla’s Burger Basket connection.

WWW.NEWSPAPERS.COM

Clipping found in Clarion-Ledger published in Jackson, Mississippi on 7/21/2002. Britney Spears Nyla...

Forbes also recalls this:

WWW.FORBES.COM

It takes more than a pretty face and a marquee name to run a thriving business. Ask these...

And so does this article, which says: Called NYLA, it was named after both New York and Louisiana – Britney’s home state. It opened in New York City in early 2002, and served authentic southern cuisine, with Britney taking influence from a restaurant she used to go to when she was a kid in her hometown of Kentwood.

CELEBMIX.COM

To celebrate CelebMix's fifth anniversary, we have decided to showcase five of our...

Edited by MarshallMathers
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

I remember turning on Access Hollywood and E! News when it opened — it was such a huge deal! And to piggy back off another user, celebs opening restaurants in the early 2000s was indeed a big trend. Pretty sure JLO opened one that year too. 

After finishing her book, I had wondered why she never mentioned this venture while talking about her NYC era, and I understand why. 

Edited by Gutterguppy
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, GirlOnTheMoon said:

Yes, she did. I remember I went there with my parents when I was like 10! I begged them for months to take me and they did... Back then I remember being really excited to go but I don't have any major memory from it. Years later I understood she didn't really own it, she just let a company used her name but the restaurant was a major flop and she quickly distanced herself from it. I think it was a money laundering scheme set up by her father. She's had plenty of business failures (all with her dad involved). I think a few years ago it came out she also bought stakes at some restaurant at Planet Hollywood, I think.

Speaking of failures...remember that smoothie shop Jamie opened on Venice Beach or wherever a few years later? The guy had no qualms about wanting to exploit his child and use her money for his own gains. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Gutterguppy said:

Speaking of failures...remember that smoothie shop Jamie opened on Venice Beach or wherever a few years later? The guy had no qualms about wanting to exploit his child and use her money for his own gains. 

Jamie wasn’t involved in Nyla. But you’re right - Britney funded JJ Chill for Jamie, which closed in 2006.

PAGESIX.COM

“It’s no surprise to me Britney doesn’t want him running her life. I can’t imagine him...

Edited by MarshallMathers
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MarshallMathers said:

Jamie wasn’t involved in Nyla in any way. But you’re right - Britney funded JJ Chill for Jamie, which closed in 2006.

https://shampoo/displayimage.php?album=8243&pid=298678

Sorry, didn't mean to imply he was. JJ Chill...that was the name! Ah, man. Wonder if he used her money to start up that cooking show he wanted to do. 

Appreciate you coming through with the facts, friend! 

Edit: Jesus, going through these photos. I hate that time period now :wontcry_tears_crying_sad:

Edited by Gutterguppy
  • Love 2
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Yes, she gave it to her father so he could do something but he burned the place to the ground just like with all her other enterprises.

EDIT: Oops wrong restaurant! But she did give one to her dad, and he didn't do anything with it. 

Edited by MissDebbie
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.