Britney's 1997 vocals are stronger than 1998 vocals

Her 1997 demos are vocally stronger than the 1998 ones. I think the baby voice transition actually happened in 1998, probably during the Max Martin sessions. As time went by, her vocals got weaker and weaker. You can notice it in the vocal sessions for "I Will Be There" they made her belt in the baby voice many times, and in the most unhealthy way possible. In the end, they only used the smallest part of it. Just imagine the strain and stress on her vocal cords... :sad_britney_ftr_for_the_record:

5 hours ago, LoveforBritney said:

You don’t think it was her choice to use the baby voice? I feel like it was part of her persona at that point.. 

Yes I know that, my point was that she did the voice transition in 1998 instead of 1999

4 hours ago, LoveforBritney said:

Also I disagree. I prefer the luv the hurt away over Whitney’s cover. 

Both is from 1997 :awks_britney_side_eye_awkward_2011_ff_femme_Fatale:

She has a beautiful voice. I like when she sings in her mid voice though. I don't think she forces a “baby voice.” I think her natural tone just has a unique quality such as Eartha Kitt, Tina Turner, Tionne Watkins, Robyn, Gwen Stefani, Lana DR, Ariana Grande. People do a baby voice to mimic her tone but it’s not that. She just has a sweetness, even in her low register and when she is belting. She sounds great singing show tunes. “I don’t care.” But that isn’t very pop friendly or commercial. She can sing a full range but sometimes it’s just too much for the song and it doesn’t fit. Like when Christina, Demi, or Jessica sing more soft and stick to the melody I think they sound much better. I adore them! Sometimes loud and belting rifts is impressive but it detracts from the song. Even the great Whitney could do that at times. All singers get comfortable in their bread and butter. I think personally thats what makes Mariah Carey so incredible. She knows when to hold back and be soft. She knows exactly when to let go and bring it home. Celine Dion and Kelly Clarkson have that natural ability too. Britney might not have the range of Mariah but she has the talent of knowing what the song needs. Taylor Swift, Miley, Billie and Selena also knows what tones fit their music perfectly. All artist have their own gifts thats what makes them so good. 

Edited by LordofTheMoodRing
  • Love 3

I think they were looking for a more pop vocal similar to what the Backstreet Boys and Robyn were doing.  At the time we had Celine, Mariah, Whitney etc so it was good they went with a style that would stand out.  Part of the reason Britney was so popular was that she seemed relatable and kids could sing along with her songs and put on imaginary concerts in their bedrooms. You can’t do that with Celine Dion! 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, RogerJohnson said:

I think they were looking for a more pop vocal similar to what the Backstreet Boys and Robyn were doing.  At the time we had Celine, Mariah, Whitney etc so it was good they went with a style that would stand out.  Part of the reason Britney was so popular was that she seemed relatable and kids could sing along with her songs and put on imaginary concerts in their bedrooms. You can’t do that with Celine Dion! 

I agreed until you mentioned Celine. Death rates soared since the 90s… Every butch is belting and bow riding to their detriment. 

Edited by LordofTheMoodRing

I don’t think the voice conspiracy theories are as deep as people think. It’s just the way she sings. She’s a talented vocalist who chooses to sing in a certain way and tone. I think her voice is unique and pleasant to listen to. Steve Lunt, the gentleman behind the development of Britney’s brand in the early days, did an interview on a podcast where he talks about this and stated that she came to them with that voice. Very interesting interview if anyone is is interested in listening.

PODCASTS.APPLE.COM

‎Show The Original Doll with James Rodriguez: Iconography, Ep Baby Voice - Britney Spears - A&R Steve...

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, PrinceAli89 said:

I don’t think the voice conspiracy theories are as deep as people think. It’s just the way she sings. She’s a talented vocalist who chooses to sing in a certain way and tone. I think her voice is unique and pleasant to listen to. Steve Lunt, the gentleman behind the development of Britney’s brand in the early days, did an interview on a podcast where he talks about this and stated that she came to them with that voice. Very interesting interview if anyone is is interested in listening.

PODCASTS.APPLE.COM

‎Show The Original Doll with James Rodriguez: Iconography, Ep Baby Voice - Britney Spears - A&R Steve...

I LoVe This PodCast! James is a smart and handsome fella!

I enjoy Steve Lunt talking about his perspective and vast involvement with artists in the music industry. 

• Love 1
  • Super Mods
7 hours ago, LordofTheMoodRing said:

She has a beautiful voice. I like when she sings in her mid voice though. I don't think she forces a “baby voice.” I think her natural tone just has a unique quality such as Eartha Kitt, Tina Turner, Tionne Watkins, Robyn, Gwen Stefani, Lana DR, Ariana Grande. People do a baby voice to mimic her tone but it’s not that. She just has a sweetness, even in her low register and when she is belting. She sounds great singing show tunes. “I don’t care.” But that isn’t very pop friendly or commercial. She can sing a full range but sometimes it’s just too much for the song and it doesn’t fit. Like when Christina, Demi, or Jessica sing more soft and stick to the melody I think they sound much better. I adore them! Sometimes loud and belting rifts is impressive but it detracts from the song. Even the great Whitney could do that at times. All singers get comfortable in their bread and butter. I think personally thats what makes Mariah Carey so incredible. She knows when to hold back and be soft. She knows exactly when to let go and bring it home. Celine Dion and Kelly Clarkson have that natural ability too. Britney might not have the range of Mariah but she has the talent of knowing what the song needs. Taylor Swift, Miley, Billie and Selena also knows what tones fit their music perfectly. All artist have their own gifts thats what makes them so good. 

I agree.

High notes isn't the only indicator of a good voice.

Its about vocal tone and emotional delivery as well and having a catchy sound to your voice.

Why else do you think Britney was so successful?

Cause she had all those other traits in her singing voice.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.