6 minutes ago, britneyleaks2006 said:

The vocal production is just Bloodshy & Avant's signature sound, It isn't unique to this particular song. They do it on Piece of Me, How I Roll, Kylie's Speakerphone, Sky Ferreira's "one" in addition to countless others.   They're all about those mechanical robot vocoder effects that you find all over their productions. 

The songs you pointed out are much easier on the ears. POM and How I Roll aren’t pitchy. I don’t mind the verses on Radar, but the chorus is unlistenable. I don’t know how any producer could hear that and think it sounds good. 

Edited by whenthedogscaneout
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, whenthedogscaneout said:

The songs you pointed out are much easier on the ears. POM and How I Roll aren’t pitchy. I don’t mind the verses on Radar, but the chorus is unlistenable. I don’t know how any producer could hear that and think it sounds good. 

This. All the way. Again, Radar had way too much vocal splicing and improper layering. It isn’t cohesive. I’d argue and say that the verses sound messy too but once the chorus kicks in, it just becomes straight up awful. 

POM and HIR are actually listenable and aren’t pitchy or make your ears bleed.

Edited by BadBunny
21 minutes ago, britneyleaks2006 said:

You're doing the most. I'm pretty sure it sounds like that on purpose.

They had a whole year to fine-tune the track for the Circus re-release, so if they wanted to smooth it out, they could've. The fact they didn't suggests they were going for that intentionally gritty sound. 

No, it wasn’t. Britney was going through the middle of a divorce and had to leave the studio rushed/early, therefore, the producers had to work with the limited vocals they had. Britney obviously wasn’t bothered but from an artistic standpoint — the song is incohesive, messy and the vocals sound cheap. Sure, it’s catchy at some parts but it’s nothing more than a C-grade filler track, at best.

21 minutes ago, britneyleaks2006 said:

These songs have a really conventionnal, run-of-the-mill production. I don't see what's so mind-blowing about them. These songs are just basic, like anyone could've done them. I never found any other song that sounds like Radar, it's just so Britney. Radar actually had that Britney signature sound. Glory, though? It's like anyone could sing it, nothing special. 

Babe there’s nothing special about Radar. Like I said, it’s a basic filler track — at best and you’ll find a lot of tracks that Rihanna’s GGGB and/or Rated R have the same feel. 

And no that’s simply untrue. Radar was definitely not Britney’s signature sound. Her signature sound is the classic Cheiron sound with an R&B twist that was first proposed to her with BOMT. That, and her Pop-&B productions with Darkchild (Lonely, Overprotected, Let Me Be, Satisfaction, Intimidated, etc.) Her love/mid-tempo ballads (Sometimes, BTMYH, Walk On By, etc.) and last, her mystical/trance material (Breathe On Me, And Then We Kiss, Over To You Now, TOMH, Don’t Hang Up, etc.) A special honor to her urban material as well (Boom Boom, Outrageous, Slave, Boys, etc.) and dark pop (Piece of Me, Gimme More, etc.) In no way is Radar Britney’s signature sound. In fact, that is an insult to her discography. Glory isn’t Britney’s signature sound either and I never claimed it to be.

Edited by BadBunny
9 minutes ago, britneyleaks2006 said:

There's nothing off-key in that song 

Maybe go learn music theory or something 

Lmao Bruh. It’s literally off-key and MULTIPLE unbiased people are telling you that. What are you? 16 years old? Telling me to go learn music theory when I’m a trained pianist and studied music theory as a minor in undergrad? Bye.

5 minutes ago, Peter Pan said:

Radar is a fantastic song and gets way too much hate imo. Most likely because it became a Circus track. I remember a lot less hate before that.

The Circus tour performance was quite fun. 

Because it aged like milk after 2008.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Crabo Lavender Turmeric said:

It flopped b/c it was released as a single despite being nearly 2 years old - the song is perfection imo. 

Also, I don't get the hate the video gets - Britney looked stunning + the video had a positive message

Radar aged like milk and was VERY of its time, that’s why. It didn’t garner the buzz it once may have had. For a promotional single? I can see it working. But as a single to end the Circus era? By 2009, the industry was gearing more towards Dr. Luke, Red One and Guetta EDM-style productions. The video didn’t do the song any favors either. Even the Disney Channel had better budget videos than the mess they made.

Edited by BadBunny
6 minutes ago, BadBunny said:

Radar aged like milk and was VERY of its time, that’s why. It didn’t garner the buzz it once may have had. For a promotional single? I can see it working. But as a single to end the Circus era? By 2009, the industry was gearing more towards Dr. Luke, Red One and Guetta EDM-style productions. The video didn’t do the song any favors either. Even the Disney Channel had better budget videos than the mess they made.

It was definitely not the best choice for the final single but they were contractually obligated to release it. 

Also, it was not that Radar's sound was too untrendy... Electronic music was all the rage in the late 2000s and early 2010s. The track was simply too old at the time of the release.  

A mantion, two polo teams and many more extras were hired. I highly doubt that If you seek amy costed much more to film

15 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

Honestly I don't think it would've been a massive hit but maybe at least a moderate top 20 or top 30 hit.

If Break The Ice peaked at #43 then Radar would have definitely peaked around the top 60 in 2008. Maybe with a somewhat decent video, Top 50 - if I'm being nice. It just wasn't radio friendly and the song simply isn't that good nor did it stand the test of time. sorry.gif

Like...no one goes to the club and goes, let's play Radar. sorry.gif

Edited by BadBunny
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Crabo Lavender Turmeric said:

It was definitely not the best choice for the final single but they were contractually obligated to release it. 

Also, it was not that Radar's sound was too untrendy... Electronic music was all the rage in the late 2000s and early 2010s. The track was simply too old at the time of the release.  

A mantion, two polo teams and many more extras were hired. I highly doubt that If you seek amy costed much more to film

Britney wasn't contractually obligated to release it as a single. Even if she was, Britney/her management could have easily bought her out of it if they really wanted to. I think it was ultimately Britney's decision bc she probably did like the song.

IDK, after If U Seek Amy being released as the third single -- nothing else really stood out on the album. And it's not that Circus is a bad album but it was just rather more dull and bleak.  sorry.gif Unusual You was plastered with this horrible vocoder that you can barely make sense of what she's singing. She sounds half asleep on tracks like Shattered Glass and Kill The Lights. Out From Under was a Bratz cover. Blur, while a good song, was not radio friendly. Mannequin is rather forgettable. L&L is purely awful. And so they were left with Radar. 

• Super Mods
37 minutes ago, BadBunny said:

If Break The Ice peaked at #43 then Radar would have definitely peaked around the top 60 in 2008. Maybe with a somewhat decent video, Top 50 - if I'm being nice. It just wasn't radio friendly and the song simply isn't that good nor did it stand the test of time. sorry.gif

Like...no one goes to the club and goes, let's play Radar. sorry.gif

Yeah perhaps.

I don't like Radar either.

Its honestly one of my least favorite songs from her but I did like the video.

She looked stunning in it.

• Super Mods
34 minutes ago, BadBunny said:

Britney wasn't contractually obligated to release it as a single. Even if she was, Britney/her management could have easily bought her out of it if they really wanted to. I think it was ultimately Britney's decision bc she probably did like the song.

IDK, after If U Seek Amy being released as the third single -- nothing else really stood out on the album. And it's not that Circus is a bad album but it was just rather more dull and bleak.  sorry.gif Unusual You was plastered with this horrible vocoder that you can barely make sense of what she's singing. She sounds half asleep on tracks like Shattered Glass and Kill The Lights. Out From Under was a Bratz cover. Blur, while a good song, was not radio friendly. Mannequin is rather forgettable. L&L is purely awful. And so they were left with Radar. 

Agree.

I think honestly the first 3 singles were the strongest material on the album cause other than that,

its either filler or songs that aren't single worthy.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

Yeah perhaps.

I don't like Radar either.

Its honestly one of my least favorite songs from her but I did like the video.

She looked stunning in it.

The Radar demo is better. I just can't stand the way she sings it and the vocal effects they used on the final. sorry.gif

The video was pretty crappy too. The clothes were cheap and her hair was giving Scarecrow colors. You can visibly see her messy extensions. sorry.gif After all, wasn't it sponsored by Kohl's? 

Edited by BadBunny
Just now, princessmimi said:

Agree.

I think honestly the first 3 singles were the strongest material on the album cause other than that,

its either filler or songs that aren't single worthy.

Yup, yup. You get it. Even FF had more single-worthy material. 

• Like 1
  • Super Mods
8 minutes ago, BadBunny said:

The Radar demo is better. I just can't stand the way she sings it and the vocal effects they used on the final. sorry.gif

The video was pretty crappy too. The clothes were cheap and her hair was giving Scarecrow colors. You can visibly see her messy extensions. sorry.gif After all, wasn't it sponsored by Kohl's? 

Yeah I dont like how high pitched her vocals were on the song, its almost like a chipmunk.

I read online a comment about the video saying that it was basically an advertisement for Kohl's.

Do you agree with that?

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block