"All Vocals by Britney Spears"

We all know that Britney never gets enough credit for her vocals, especially her vocal layering.  She often does backing vocals on her own tracks, and there are certain songs where the vocals are all hers.  I've been going through the liner notes of her albums and taking a look at which songs seem to be all Britney.  Some are very clear and say "All vocals by Britney Spears."  Others just credit her for providing backing vocals.  Others just don't credit backing vocals at all.  Bonus track are very hard to come by so I didn't include them here, but these are taken from the CD inserts...

The running list I have so far:

Thinkin' About You ("Backing Vocals: Britney Spears")
The Beat Goes On (No mention of backing vocals - and I think there may just not really be backing vocals on the song)
Dear Diary (No mention of backing vocals)
I'm a Slave 4 U ("All Vocals by Britney Spears")
Boys ("All Vocals by Britney Spears")
Touch of My Hand (No mention of backing vocals)
Everytime (No mention of backing vocals)
Womanizer (No mention of backing vocals - are all of those vocals hers?!)
Kill the Lights (No mention of backing vocals)
Mannequin (No mention of backing vocals)
My Baby (No mention of backing vocals)
3 (No mention of backing vocals)
Perfume (No mention of backing vocals)
Don't Cry (No mention of backing vocals)
Hold on Tight (No mention of backing vocals)
Invitation (No mention of backing vocals)
Just Like Me (No mention of backing vocals)
Better (No mention of backing vocals)
Coupure Electrique (No mention of backing vocals)

If I missed or misunderstood any credits, feel free to chime in!  My favorites:

Thinkin' About You - SUCH a vocal powerhouse.  A true Britney vocal Tour de Force!
Slave - Iconic & all Britney!  That layering! (Boys, too!)
Touch of My Hand - Absolutely beautiful layering.  And one of her best tracks!
Womanizer - She creates an exciting atmosphere all on her own here.
Mannequin - One of the most unique an bizarre performances, and imho, Circus's best!  The vocals really match the lyrics and I love it!
Invitation - One of her most beautiful songs!

I did run into a few confusing entries based on how they are credited on the CD insert:
Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know (Doesn't credit backing vocals, but there are clearly men on the track, no?)
What It's Like to Be Me ("Vocal Arrangement by Justin Timberlake" is an odd way of saying he's on the track too)
Body Ache (I know what everyone is thinking and I'm not here for conspiracy theories, but unlike most tracks on BJ, no one is credited with "background" or "additional" vocals, and MM is given a writing credit here, but no vocal credits)

Anyway - Queen is a killer vocalist who all herself can make incredible songs!  And this doesn't cover the dozens of other songs where she provides backing vocals and is supported by maybe one other person! (e.g. Breathe on Me!)

• Love 2

3 has some very minor backing vocals by Max Martin, but otherwise it's all her. But they are bgs that were made with melodyne from her regular vox takes.

The male vocals on DLMBTLTK are by the songwriter / producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange.

Regardless of main vox, Myah does harmonies on Hold on Tight & vocal doubles on Don't Cry.

Edited by Psuedonym
  • Like 1

I loved that Slave was 100% Britney. The chorus and getitgetit is so cool.

Womanizer definitely uses another vocalist for bg harmonies. It's Nikesha Briscoe from the producers 'the outsyders', there's a demo of her version. And her voice is more apparent in the stems.

Check out this video

I love the vocal layers.

"Thinkin'' About You" is a moment on her debut album and she performed that song with ease live.  That was a missed opportunity when lip-synching/"she can't sing" comments were getting louder. :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

I believe Pharrell is known for having artist doing all of their own vocals.  

I've always loved her vocals on "Touch of My Hand," especially during the chorus.  

Myah Jean credits as legit?  Plz.  :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

• Love 1
11 hours ago, filmandstage13 said:

Thinkin' About You ("Backing Vocals: Britney Spears")
The Beat Goes On (No mention of backing vocals - and I think there may just not really be backing vocals on the song)
Dear Diary (No mention of backing vocals)
I'm a Slave 4 U ("All Vocals by Britney Spears")
Boys ("All Vocals by Britney Spears")
Touch of My Hand (No mention of backing vocals)
Everytime (No mention of backing vocals)
Womanizer (No mention of backing vocals - are all of those vocals hers?!)
Kill the Lights (No mention of backing vocals)
Mannequin (No mention of backing vocals)
My Baby (No mention of backing vocals)
3 (No mention of backing vocals)
Perfume (No mention of backing vocals)
Don't Cry (No mention of backing vocals)
Hold on Tight (No mention of backing vocals)
Invitation (No mention of backing vocals)
Just Like Me (No mention of backing vocals)
Better (No mention of backing vocals)
Coupure Electrique (No mention of backing vocals)

My Baby is actually a nice pleasing ballad to listen to. I did listened to the Dolby Atmos version with headphones and it sounded great!

Don't cry and those first strings (guitar?) got me. And the melody too.

Coupure Electrique is a gem. Almost like a hidden gem. Etheric vocals just like invitation. :nynod_miss_new_york_ms_nodding_yes_yas_agree:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block