I deleted IG nearly 4 months ago and I've never felt better

• Super Mods

Some backstory for you guys:

I was never too big on social media, I had around 5-6k followers, lots of people I sent memes to, would post photos of my life (and body), and I thought I was feeling fine.

Here's the ugly thing social media does to us though: It makes us feel like **** without us even noticing. One day I randomly caught myself scrolling through images of all those hot guys and thinking to myself "jesus I'm nothing compared to them, I look fat compared to them, why do I even work out, what's the point if nobody thirsts over me like they do over them?"

And then, it hit me. 

Instagram made me feel:

1. Worthless
  2. Like everything I do I do for others and not for me
  3. Completely forget all my qualities
  4. That I don't live in reality
  5. That I need to compete with others
  6. That if I don't get thousands of likes, I am worth nothing

And I literally just deactivated it, just like that, I disappeared off of it. And it's been four months now.

The way I feel is a bit shocking not gonna lie. I feel like I can breathe again, I do everything for myself, including working out and working on my body, i do it for ME. When I travel I'm not overtaken with taking 1000s of photos so I could brag about it on IG. 

If I have lunch with my friends in a restaurant , I don't take photos of food. When I'm visting something (a museum, a city landmark, etc.) I take one photo so i have it and I genuinely enjoy the view, I feel it all, the experience is all mine.

And now I look at my friends (and my bf) how overtaken by IG they are. 

1. If we go have lunch, they need to take photos of it
  2. If we visit Paris (for example) they barely even see it, they see it through their cameras only
  3. If we are watching Rupauls together at someone's, 10 group photos need to be taken and edited
  4. If we are working out, thirst traps must be posted immediately (edited beforehand of course)

Me? I am just there, in the moment, I am not letting it pass me. And I'm not even kidding, everyone sees it. People keep telling me I look so calm and happy, AND I DO. 

If you needed a sign to deactivate your IG, this is it.

(Disclaimer: I am fully aware a lot of people have no issues with social media and feel absolutely fine with it, and to those people I say, I could not be happier for you, keep it up!) 

• Love 4
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods
2 hours ago, Broccoli Spears said:

I can relate so I’m happy for you as it sounds like doing so has been good for you and your mental health. I hope that continues for you.

thank you so much :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:I just felt the random need to share this with people, I don't know why. Maybe because I guess if anyone's having similar struggles, this could be a push in the right direction for them

• Love 1

I completely agree with you, I haven’t had an IG in years and it’s great because I never compare myself to others i just live in the moment. I even cut out a friend a while back because they were always on their phone.

Good for you though, I know it’s difficult for a lot of people to stop using it. 

• Love 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 11:20 AM, BUWYGF said:

Some backstory for you guys:

I was never too big on social media, I had around 5-6k followers, lots of people I sent memes to, would post photos of my life (and body), and I thought I was feeling fine.

Here's the ugly thing social media does to us though: It makes us feel like **** without us even noticing. One day I randomly caught myself scrolling through images of all those hot guys and thinking to myself "jesus I'm nothing compared to them, I look fat compared to them, why do I even work out, what's the point if nobody thirsts over me like they do over them?"

And then, it hit me. 

Instagram made me feel:

1. Worthless
  2. Like everything I do I do for others and not for me
  3. Completely forget all my qualities
  4. That I don't live in reality
  5. That I need to compete with others
  6. That if I don't get thousands of likes, I am worth nothing

And I literally just deactivated it, just like that, I disappeared off of it. And it's been four months now.

The way I feel is a bit shocking not gonna lie. I feel like I can breathe again, I do everything for myself, including working out and working on my body, i do it for ME. When I travel I'm not overtaken with taking 1000s of photos so I could brag about it on IG. 

If I have lunch with my friends in a restaurant , I don't take photos of food. When I'm visting something (a museum, a city landmark, etc.) I take one photo so i have it and I genuinely enjoy the view, I feel it all, the experience is all mine.

And now I look at my friends (and my bf) how overtaken by IG they are. 

1. If we go have lunch, they need to take photos of it
  2. If we visit Paris (for example) they barely even see it, they see it through their cameras only
  3. If we are watching Rupauls together at someone's, 10 group photos need to be taken and edited
  4. If we are working out, thirst traps must be posted immediately (edited beforehand of course)

Me? I am just there, in the moment, I am not letting it pass me. And I'm not even kidding, everyone sees it. People keep telling me I look so calm and happy, AND I DO. 

If you needed a sign to deactivate your IG, this is it.

(Disclaimer: I am fully aware a lot of people have no issues with social media and feel absolutely fine with it, and to those people I say, I could not be happier for you, keep it up!) 

I deleted my fb and insta one year ago and I'm not missing those

• Love 1
  • Super Mods

I totally understand.

I had social media for a long time but then I finally got rid of it in 2018 and honestly it was the best decision I ever made for my mental health plus it made events occurring in my life much more special because it was personal to me and not shown to the world like some reality show.

Social media is toxic and honestly only celebs and business people need it.

I think to have it for personal use can be pretty tough and you have to not let the negative sides of it get to you

if you do have it otherwise it can cost you not only your happiness but overall quality of life. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block