"Perfume" was released 10 years ago....

Last night, I was sitting in the bar and "Perfume" started playing. The video was on the TV. I realized it had been TEN WHOLE YEARS since this song was released. Literally, 10 years ago I was driving across country with "work bytch", "perfume" and "passenger" on repeat in my little car with my cat. I cried and cried because it was my first time moving away from home and I was moving over 1,000 miles away. "Perfume" aged so well IMO. It's Britney's last solo single while being an active artist. It has a slight 80s feel for me. Do you think this song aged well??? Does it have any nostalgic meaning for you? 

Edited by Y2Gay jordeezy
  • Love 9

It has a nostalgic feeling and to be honest the entire Britney Jean does. But some songs like Perfume... I guess I listened way too much to this song when it came out and years later too... So I kinda can't now, I always end up skipping it. I try to listen to the dreaming mix version but still... It gives me a bad taste in my mouth because I remember how they, the label, handled kinda badly the whole era. They just stopped at Perfume. They forgot the album and just focused on the residency (which is okay but I expected more singles). But I remember when it came out it was a big thing for us that Britney was singing again in her deep tone and really using it, that part is beautiful. And that was one the first songs she would talk about in the interviews before BJ was released. Lyrically, it's really sad and... just sad. Sadly desperate. Desperately sad.

8613396d942c34716b00ce46e6f6fbf69071ad5a

14019d63cf52cdaf3d8627d034ad011ba7b06a45

ea221940400885da64f7e5a5d3ba5a1edf6a9bec

f630025b6bc2894faf7e74ead2ca6be40fe37503

from tumblr @poisonparadise

Edited by Fita
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Ehju0901 said:

What bar were you in that this song would be playing lol?

Anyway, I’m not a fan of this song.  It’s too signature Sia, and has 0% Britney.

i think its by far the best on BJ imo. but thats a low bar. The dreaming mix is slightly better. 

Edited by Kevney
  • Love 2

I think it's a beautiful song from her vocally, it's pretty but also a bit sad and I think that's reflected in the video.

It's easily the best her vocals sound on the album across the production is really a stand out on the album.

I think she looks incredible in the video too, something about the white blonde hair on her at the time was really working.

I was in a transitional point in my life too when BJ came out, I had just started college and was trying to find my way.

So in a similar way I have memories and nostalgia tied to the album as a whole too.

• Love 3
  • Like 2
  • Super Mods

Man it’s been 10 years since her LAST solo song?? :umomg_britney_shocked_wow_omg_surprised_eyes_wide:

I think this song was honestly the start of her music flopping hard.

It was a sweet ballad but not single worthy.

Also based on what I’ve observed with the music industry, it is NEVER a good idea to release a ballad as the second single because it usually ends the momentum of the lead single and flops hard.

Very rare do ballads as a second single chart high or succeed.

Usually ballads are either the 3rd or last single released, not the second one.

I just wonder whose idea was it to be a second single cause releasing that song killed the ongoing success and hype she had from the Circus and Femme Fatale era.

Her music career was never the same after that.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Fita said:

It has a nostalgic feeling and to be honest the entire Britney Jean does. But some songs like Perfume... I guess I listened way too much to this song when it came out and years later too... So I kinda can't now, I always end up skipping it. I try to listen to the dreaming mix version but still... It gives me a bad taste in my mouth because I remember how they, the label, handled kinda badly the whole era. They just stopped at Perfume. They forgot the album and just focused on the residency (which is okay but I expected more singles). But I remember when it came out it was a big thing for us that Britney was singing again in her deep tone and really using it, that part is beautiful. And that was one the first songs she would talk about in the interviews before BJ was released. Lyrically, it's really sad and... just sad. Sadly desperate. Desperately sad.

8613396d942c34716b00ce46e6f6fbf69071ad5a

14019d63cf52cdaf3d8627d034ad011ba7b06a45

ea221940400885da64f7e5a5d3ba5a1edf6a9bec

f630025b6bc2894faf7e74ead2ca6be40fe37503

from tumblr @poisonparadise

I honestly think this was one of her most gorgeous mv so sad it’s underrated

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block