Thoughts on Xtina's "Bionic" 13 Years Later?

Thoughts on Xtina's "Bionic" 13 Years Later?  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love the album cover and Birds of Prey.

Other than that I don’t really get it. It comes off as messy and I’m always surprised by how many ballads are on it. Not Myself Tonight is fun but feels like a Gaga B-side.

I think if you take 5-6 of the songs on here you could make a decent EP. Her albums tend to be overlong for my taste. Even Stripped could have used some trimming, but at least that has some undeniable bops on it. (Btw it’s always made me chuckle a bit that Back to Basics was 2 discs despite being only 2 mins longer than Stripped).

I will give her one thing - it seems like an ambitious album even if it doesn’t work for me. And I’d much rather artists take unsuccessful risks than play it safe.

• Love 3

@filmandstage13 I agree with every word of your comment, and I forgot to mention how much I adore Bionic's album cover! 

For me Christina's albums are almost always bloated. I would probably make all of them shorter. I suppose, however, that the bloated thing is probably a symptom of her being creatively ambitious. If the aspects of her work I dislike are the price to pay to get songs like Fighter, Hurt, and Unless It's With You, then I'm ok with it. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, princessmimi said:

Tbh I haven't listened to the entire album, only a few songs and the ones I do like are:

1. You Lost Me

2. Woo Hoo

3. Not Myself Tonight.

Do you guys suggest I listen to the rest of the album or is it not worth listening to the entire thing?

I personally find the rest of the album to be unlistenable garbage. 🤷‍♂️ Others seem to like it for some reason 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 1:10 AM, i sometimes sing live said:

I listened to Bionic for the first time some months ago, and while I enjoyed a lot of the songs, I also thought it was a bloated mess. Months later, I lowkey like the album a lot. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing: Granted, it's still way too long, and many of the songs feel ill-fitting and out of place when it comes to the overall theme of the album, but on their own, most of the songs are great. In fact, the songs that fit the album the best are lowkey the ones I like the least. :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: Here's how I'd rank them:

my-image.png

For an album that's essentially the precursor to the Flop Era™ as we know it (I guess you could say she was ahead of her time in this regard at least ezgif-4-a8d81f15f7.gif), this is actually a pretty good ratio of bop vs. not. Had she axed a few of the songs, it could've been a solid effort, methinks. Like, I'm not someone who enjoys being screamt at for 4+ minutes, but every damn ballad on this album is a hit. :fakecry_christina_aguilera_xtina_crying_tears_wipe_sad: And let's not forget she was one of the first mainstream artists to work with Sia and Nicki. I mean, Titanium came out in late 2011. :fakewow_selena_surprised_shocked:

If anything, it's the track sequencing that's weird. IMO, the interludes could've been spread out more (and there could've even been another one), plus some of the songs just scream, "I belong in another section of the album". For example, why isn't Vanity part of the Love & Glamour section? :huh_britney_confused_what_2003_itz_zone_in_the:

Discuss. ezgif-4-a8d81f15f7.gif

Screenshot-20231016-162258-Samsung-Inter

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.