Has Taylor Swift surpassed Britney?

5 minutes ago, MasterMindz said:

She has 4. And Tyalor is the most successful female streaming artist. 

Ariana has 1 song with 2B, 8 songs with 1B and 3 songs that are close to 1B so overall 12 :unbothered_apple_chew_bite_hair_eat_chomp_red:

Taylor's Spotify numbers are big only because she releases tons of material. The way Rihanna has released like around 3 songs? since 2016 and her numbers are absolutely insane. She will end Taylor once and for all when she comes back with new album :bouncey:

different artists different times, as I've said earlier, Taylor has surpassed Madonna and Beyonce in concert revenue, number of songs charting, streamings, sales, Grammys. Do you think she has beaten them in the successful category? maybe, but you wouldn't put her above them 

again, britney hasn't willingly worked since 2007 maybe earlier, why would you compare her to a literal workaholic like taylor? girl adds dates to her 3 hour stadium tour like nothing, while britney had to be take hostage to do a couple concerts in europe. their positions are completely different. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 3
On 7/29/2023 at 2:20 AM, EmmaJG said:

My answer to this is so what if she she’s not the best dancer. Dancing isn’t everything. 
Britney was popular in her day but Taylor has been the most popular artist since 2009 and her popularity is still growing at 15 years into her career. She’s breaking records left and right putting her in categories that only The Beatles and The Rolling Stones have accomplished.

???

2009- Lady Gaga

2010- Lady Gaga/Katy Perry

2011- Adele

2012- Taylor Swift

2013- Eminem

2014- Taylor Swift

2015- Adele

2016- Justin Bieber

2017- Drake

2018- Ed Sheeran

2019- Billie Eilish

Taylor has frequented the top spot multiple times but she hasn't been the most consecutively popular artist since 2009 lol. She has been the biggest since the past two years, however.

• Like 1

In terms of all the numbers? She definitely has surpassed Britney. 

However, that does not demean Britney's rich legacy at all. She will always be regarded as the blueprint for 21st-century pop and a constant reference in pop culture. The fact that her masterpieces like Gimme More and Toxic are still known and adored by the young generation is just a testimony to her legendary career and a sign that we need not worry about her being surpassed. :cooltshirt_thumbs_up_britney_pom_piece_of_me:

• Like 1

Am I the only one who is confused by everyone here who considers Britney's peak "short"? Her peak is often regarded as 1998-2005 and that is 7 years :orangu_orangutan_ape: Plus, if we are getting into the question about the significance of their presence in the media and pop culture, that would just extend Britney's peak to 1998-2011, making it a matter of 13 years. That's nowhere near a short peak when that league features the likes of Lady Gaga (2009-2012), Christina Aguilera (2003-2007), and Miley Cyrus (2013-2015) (no shade) :deadbanana_pbj_peanut_butter_jelly_time_yellow:

Edited by Blackout2006
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 7/29/2023 at 12:52 AM, Sia said:

The vast majority of Britney’s accomplishment are packed into the first 3-4 years of her career. She was more of an immediate hit but she failed to keep that same momentum going throughout her entire career.

In contrast, Taylor may not have had the immediate “pop” that Britney had, but she’s sustained her success on a much broader and larger scale than Britney has. 

This isn’t even about who is better, it’s just what it is. Facts are your friends. 

Britney became the biggest pop star in the world during physical era, a time when streaming / digital and social media didn't existed as we know now so people could only listening to music through physical formats, TV and radio... And Britney pretty much owned everything as her albums were massive sellers without digital & streaming, TV and media were literally OBSESSED with her (way more exposure than Taylor Swift in her career) so you couldn't escape her at all even if you were 70y old as she was in every magazine, newspapper, TV programme and radio channel.

It's undeniable that Britney has had a bigger peak fame than Taylor ever had... Britney from the late 90s - early 00s was INSANITY. But it's true that Taylor had the longevity on her side... However they can't be compared as Britney went into the conservatorship in 2009 so we can see that her career truly lasted 10y cause since 2009 she has been a puppet with no voice on her artistic decissions and zero motivation for her work... Taylor Swift has released also more material music than Britney, especially in a very short period of time:

Latest Brtiney album was released in 2016... well since then untill now Taylor has released FIVE STUDIO ALBUMS and THREE RE-RECORDINGS STUDIO ALBUMS (about to get her fourth...) with huge promotions and tours in a spawn of barely six year! So of course she has sustained her success, I mean she hasn't stop working since her debut in 2006 while Britney has had her life stolen since 2009 (Circus was her last great era as she was hoping to end the conservatorship after TheCircusStarring Tour). If Britney hadn't lose her passion with the 2007 breakdown and the conservatorship, she would've been even bigger.

• Love 1
On 8/8/2023 at 6:43 PM, Blackout2006 said:

Am I the only one who is confused by everyone here who considers Britney's peak "short"? Her peak is often regarded as 1998-2005 and that is 7 years :orangu_orangutan_ape: Plus, if we are getting into the question about the significance of their presence in the media and pop culture, that would just extend Britney's peak to 1998-2011, making it a matter of 13 years. That's nowhere near a short peak when that league features the likes of Lady Gaga (2009-2012), Christina Aguilera (2003-2007), and Miley Cyrus (2013-2015) (no shade) :deadbanana_pbj_peanut_butter_jelly_time_yellow:

1998 was almost over so I don't count that as a full year and why 2005? For me it's 1999 ' 2004.

I’m not much of a numbers guy. What I know is Taylor is working hard from the day one. Britney also was a hard worker and I guess 5 years of awesomeness what we all gonna get, career wise.she’s not passionate anymore. 
Taylor’s narrative keep rising she’s selling out arenas, her fans lining up in-front of her stadiums even. She deserves it. Britney also deserve whatever good will come to her. Taylor is Taylor and Britney is Britney. 
let’s hope one day Britney gonna awaken from her past.

• Love 2
On 9/21/2023 at 1:59 PM, Pablus20 MdH said:

Britney became the biggest pop star in the world during physical era, a time when streaming / digital and social media didn't existed as we know now so people could only listening to music through physical formats, TV and radio... And Britney pretty much owned everything as her albums were massive sellers without digital & streaming, TV and media were literally OBSESSED with her (way more exposure than Taylor Swift in her career) so you couldn't escape her at all even if you were 70y old as she was in every magazine, newspapper, TV programme and radio channel.

It's undeniable that Britney has had a bigger peak fame than Taylor ever had... Britney from the late 90s - early 00s was INSANITY. But it's true that Taylor had the longevity on her side... However they can't be compared as Britney went into the conservatorship in 2009 so we can see that her career truly lasted 10y cause since 2009 she has been a puppet with no voice on her artistic decissions and zero motivation for her work... Taylor Swift has released also more material music than Britney, especially in a very short period of time:

Latest Brtiney album was released in 2016... well since then untill now Taylor has released FIVE STUDIO ALBUMS and THREE RE-RECORDINGS STUDIO ALBUMS (about to get her fourth...) with huge promotions and tours in a spawn of barely six year! So of course she has sustained her success, I mean she hasn't stop working since her debut in 2006 while Britney has had her life stolen since 2009 (Circus was her last great era as she was hoping to end the conservatorship after TheCircusStarring Tour). If Britney hadn't lose her passion with the 2007 breakdown and the conservatorship, she would've been even bigger.

Honey, I was 12 when Britney hit the scene, I don't need you to remind me of her impact. I was there for it and unlike you, I remember it with and without my rose colored glasses.

Britney was a sensation, no doubt and had IMMENSE success in her first few years, but she was never taken seriously. That ultimately limited her fanbase to a very specific segment.

You can sit there and theorize where Britney would be today, but we're not here to talk about fantasy land, we're here to talk about reality and what actually transpired. Britney was on a downhill slope BEFORE her 2007/2008 breakdown. I'm so sick and tired of people acting like the conservatorship was the only turning point in her career. Truth is that Britney's success had already started to dwindle following the release of In the Zone. Her tour wasn't even selling well at the time and her knee injury pretty much killed any remaining momentum.

The years that followed were filled with controversy that overshadowed any ounce of a music career. By 2005, Britney was a nostalgic act.

Do we forget about the M&M Tour? Britney was literally touring in nightclubs in an attempt to get back her name back into the music scene. If any other artist were to do that today, you'd quickly label them a flop or has been. So let's keep it real and honest here.

By 2007, Britney's personal life was completely overshadowing her musical career, which is why Blackout was originally labeled a comeback album. Unfortunately, she ruined that opportunity by her lack of promo and interest. Before we knew it, she was being placed in a 72-hour hold and then came the conservatorship. 

You want to sit there and say that the conservatorship ruined any potential for her to grow, well I would argue that the conservatorship and downfall are the only reason people kept interest in her. There's a reason Circus outsold Blackout (even though it was considered a lackluster success at the time).

And I get it, you're gonna sit there and say "if you're not a fan then why are you here?" to which I'll respond, I'm a fan of her music and her story fascinates me, but being a fan does not mean I need to accept delusion.

• Haha 1
On 9/22/2023 at 11:19 PM, Sia said:

Honey, I was 12 when Britney hit the scene, I don't need you to remind me of her impact. I was there for it and unlike you, I remember it with and without my rose colored glasses.

Britney was a sensation, no doubt and had IMMENSE success in her first few years, but she was never taken seriously. That ultimately limited her fanbase to a very specific segment.

You can sit there and theorize where Britney would be today, but we're not here to talk about fantasy land, we're here to talk about reality and what actually transpired. Britney was on a downhill slope BEFORE her 2007/2008 breakdown. I'm so sick and tired of people acting like the conservatorship was the only turning point in her career. Truth is that Britney's success had already started to dwindle following the release of In the Zone. Her tour wasn't even selling well at the time and her knee injury pretty much killed any remaining momentum.

The years that followed were filled with controversy that overshadowed any ounce of a music career. By 2005, Britney was a nostalgic act.

Do we forget about the M&M Tour? Britney was literally touring in nightclubs in an attempt to get back her name back into the music scene. If any other artist were to do that today, you'd quickly label them a flop or has been. So let's keep it real and honest here.

By 2007, Britney's personal life was completely overshadowing her musical career, which is why Blackout was originally labeled a comeback album. Unfortunately, she ruined that opportunity by her lack of promo and interest. Before we knew it, she was being placed in a 72-hour hold and then came the conservatorship. 

You want to sit there and say that the conservatorship ruined any potential for her to grow, well I would argue that the conservatorship and downfall are the only reason people kept interest in her. There's a reason Circus outsold Blackout (even though it was considered a lackluster success at the time).

And I get it, you're gonna sit there and say "if you're not a fan then why are you here?" to which I'll respond, I'm a fan of her music and her story fascinates me, but being a fan does not mean I need to accept delusion.

Well if you were 12y old then, as a 90s person like me there's no doubt that late 90s / early 00s Britney was way bigger than Taylor era, I can asure that at least this was the case in Spain as I'm spanish... 

Why You say she wasn't never taken seriously? She was the biggest popstar on the planet for a time that's a fact, I mean are you sure you were alive during Britney's prime? And I'm not a delusional fan who's trying to over size her success, literally every teenage who experienced Britney's prime will tell you the same, whether you were a fan or not, she was by far the biggest pop girl around and Taylor hasn't reached that insane level of fame & obssession that the world had on Britney, I'm sorry.

Now you're saying that Britney was already fading away before her 2007 breakdown/conservatorship... what a joke. In The Zone was big for sure, ofc not as big as BOMT but that's obvious I mean she set the bar so high since day 1 that it was impossible for her to keep getting Diamond albums in pure sales by the time she grown and released more experimental albums like InTheZone... And still that era gave us the iconic Vmas 2003 kiss which was HUGE  (I've never witnessed such media obsession in comparison any Taylor thing) plus ITZ album was the 7th best selling worldwide album of 2003 and the 3rd biggest female record, only behind Beyonce's DIL and Alicia Keys's Diary albums... All of her singles went #1 on the worldwide official singles chart and Toxic became a classic song, named one of the greatest 00s pop songs with a legendary video plus it's among BEST selling singles of 00s and among most played tracks on the radio in the 00s and it's also the most streamed Britney song ever... I don't see how her popularity went down during her ITZ era. The Onyx hotel tour got a total attendance of the 97.1%... Definetley not bad at all. After ITZ she released her first greatest hits albums that sold 6M pure sales (1M in Japan alone), that's not bad. I would say that her downfall began with her knee injury as she had to stop ITZ promo, tour and "Outrageos" single release (ITZ could have been bigger if it wasn't for her injury)... However her biggest mistake was meeting Kevin Federline that led to Paparazzis obsession that caused Britney's mental breakdown... 

If she hadn't met Kevin and most of all if media and paparazzi would never have ripped her apart alongside her family's conservatorship, I'm sure Britney would have had waay more longevity. Despite all of that Blackout managed to go Platinum in the USA and Circus was big whether you like It or not... Was It a MONSTER record? NO, but It was enough to revive her music success with worldwide hits like Womanizer. And that's It, Taylor has had amazing longevity but she never reached Britney's stardom power

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.