Thoughts on these 20th century legends (Björk, Bowie, Janet, Madonna, Michael, Prince, Whitney, 2Pac, etc.)?

Thoughts on these 20th century legends?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Self-explanatory title. :typing_keyboard_computer: Also, I deliberately excluded some people for the sake of keeping the poll relatively short. Obviously, I couldn't include everyone, so feel free to mention others you're a fan of. :bigkiss_britney_kissing:

img.jpg?width=1200&height=800&quality=85&coordinates=132,1,168,-1

Anyways, here are my thoughts:

Björk - Despite only having 9 studio albums, her discography is extremely intimidating due to its experimental nature. I don't know if I possess the brain power to fully get into Björk, though I adore Debut, and I've been slowly getting into her discography one album at a time. Vulnicura is fascinating, though it sounds like something that might send a more fragile person over the edge - it's extremely depressing.

Celine Dion - no opinion, though hearing the news about her health issues was devastating. Wishing her all the best.

Cher - no opinion.

Cyndi Lauper - love her. While her discography might not be as consistent as Madonna's, I enjoy most of her songs despite the many covers. Also, her energy is just so infectious, and Carly Rae Jepsen really reminds me of Cyndi in terms of being a bundle of wholesome, positive energy.

David Bowie - maybe my idea of Bowie is too shallow, but I'm not really into rock music except for a select few artists/albums.

Dolly Parton - I'm curious about her discography, but she has so many albums, and a lot of them are full of covers and/or rehashed songs from older records, which is a turn-off.

Elton John - no opinion.

Janet Jackson - a legend whose impact and legacy are seriously underappreciated. A lot of people (including past me) don't realize/remember how huge she actually was. I've been meaning to get into her discography, but the only album I've listened to so far is Control. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but I'm certain Janet. and The Velvet Rope are going to wow me.

Kylie Minogue - she's not the most seasoned songwriter, but there are a couple of albums she flexed her songwriting skills on. Those are the albums I'm most interested in, and they're definitely solid. She's also the definition of a class act.

Madonna - I mean, she's my favorite artist of all time for a reason.

Mariah Carey - I haven't listened to all of her albums, but I'm in the process of doing so. Some of them are kinda samey, but the ones that I do love... Oh, boy, they're so good! Caution and Mariah Carey are my favorites.

Michael Jackson - still not sure how to feel about Michael.

Prince - I listened to Controversy a few hours ago and quite enjoyed it. I'm excited to delve further into his discography, though it's overwhelmingly extensive and lowkey pretentious. I thought Madonna was pretentious, but Prince was on another level.

Whitney Houston - her lack of songwriting credits has kept me from getting into her music. The same applies to Cher and Celine, I guess.

2Pac - I just listened to Me Against the World and absolutely loved the lyricism and laid-back vibe. Super excited to get into the rest of his discography, though I'm definitely avoiding his posthumous albums like the plague (except for Makaveli since it was finished before his death).

_91774080_richlist1.jpg

• Love 3
Celine Dion: Although I hate her cheesy romantic ballads, im a huge fan of her rock and french songs. And I consider her one of the best performers ever!

Dolly Parton: Her fragile voice and songwriting can easily make me cry

Elton John: Dont like his ballads, but I love his rock songs. His discography is amazing!
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, i sometimes sing live said:

Dolly Parton - I'm curious about her discography, but she has so many albums, and a lot of them are full of covers and/or rehashed songs from older records, which is a turn-off.

Why'd You Come In Here Lookin' Like That
Old Flames (Can't Hold a Candle to You)
Here You Come Again
Love Is Like a Butterfly
Dumb Blonde
Just Because I'm a Woman
Hard Candy Christmas
Light of a Clear Blue Morning
Two Doors Down
Great Balls of Fire
Sweet Music Man
It's All Wrong, But It's All Right
Islands in the Stream
Coat of Many Colors
Jolene 
I Will Always Love You
9 to 5

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, fays1 said:

Why'd You Come In Here Lookin' Like That
Old Flames (Can't Hold a Candle to You)
Here You Come Again
Love Is Like a Butterfly
Dumb Blonde
Just Because I'm a Woman
Hard Candy Christmas
Light of a Clear Blue Morning
Two Doors Down
Great Balls of Fire
Sweet Music Man
It's All Wrong, But It's All Right
Islands in the Stream
Coat of Many Colors
Jolene 
I Will Always Love You
9 to 5

Jolene seems to be the best starting point, I guess. It has Jolene and I Will Always Love You. :typing_keyboard_computer:

Björk is getting more experimental with every disc she release, last one was both more popish and more experimental, fossora was the most easy listening song of the album.

The last part of this song it's frenetic, adrenaline inducing, full on *****, while the start sound like disney animated flavored stuff, pretty calm.

Yes, she's singing about mushrooms.

2:53 for gnome mushroom-infused rave whatever

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, X_M said:

Björk is getting more experimental with every disc she release, last one was both more popish and more experimental, fossora was the most easy listening song of the album.

The last part of this song it's frenetic, adrenaline inducing, full on *****, while the start sound like disney animated flavored stuff, pretty calm.

Yes, she's singing about mushrooms.

I was so excited about Fossora but then never listened to it. Your description made me want to listen to it tonight, though. :bouncey:

Just now, i sometimes sing live said:

I was so excited about Fossora but then never listened to it. Your description made me want to listen to it tonight, though. :bouncey:

It's hard to listen, her melodies are getting more complex. Sadly the promised and promoted gabber is only in two songs: atopos (labeled as experimental reggaeton) and fossora that is my fave song of the album. But to enjoy the rest I think you should be pretty into Björk to get what the kcuf she's trying to do there lol

• Haha 1

my faves from this list r 🤭

mariah carey - love her music (even the underrated memoirs of an imperfect angel) :bouncey:

janet jackson - SO MANY underrated albums  :bouncey:

madonna - legend 🤭 i even like some of her albums post-confessions, which most people say r her downfall albums :bouncey:

2pac - ANOTHER LEGEND 😌 & u can avoid any unreleased albums after makalev, most of them r cash grabs just composed of unreleased songs, soundtrack songs, or single b-sided that never made it 2 any album :bouncey:

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Style. said:

I’m a fan on 2Pac & Biggie. I think you would like Nas, as well. His songs Affirmative Action & The Message are one of my favorite songs ever! 

Recently I’ve been super into Mariah Carey. I think she is the best female vocalist & songwriter of all time! 

Adding Nas to my never-ending list of artists to get into, I guess. :jordan-perfume: And as for Mariah, I can't say I disagree (even as a Madonna fan). Both are absolute queenies! :bigkiss_britney_kissing:

• Love 1
  • 6 months later...
  • Super Mods

My fave artists from the ones you mentioned are:

Madonna, Mariah, Whitney, Janet, Celine and Michael.

Here are my opinions of them:

1. Madonna - The GREATEST female popstar of the 20th century.

She was the first openly sxual female singer and broke down lots of boundaries with her controversial music and performances.

Plus I'm OBSESSED with her 80s music especially her Like A Virgin era.

2. Mariah - She was an amazing singer in her prime and she still sings good now but she doesn't sing as strong as she did back in the 90s. I always wondered why she can't sing like she used to nowadays.

But I do love her music especially in the 90s and 2000s.

Caution is also one of the BEST albums of the 2010s, its a shame how underrated it is.

3. Whitney - THE GREATEST FEMALE SINGER OF ALL TIME!
Seriously NO ONE will EVER compare to her voice in her prime!

She literally had the best singing tone i've ever heard in a singer.

4. Janet - She is a VERY underrated and unappreciated popstar.

She is the literally the blueprint of a popstars who dance while performing.

Britney literally said she was inspired by her.

5. Celine - I do love some of her songs however she doesn't have much variety in her music. They're all serious and slow power ballads.

I always wanted to see her in concert but I was always afraid I was gonna fall asleep cause of how slow her music is.

Don't get me wrong, I do love ballads but there's a reason why she hasn't had a mainstream since the 90s.

6. Michael - I have mixed emotions on him cause of how great a performer and musician he was but at the same time, I can't help but wonder if those child abuse allegations are true.

I remember when I was a kid back in the 2000s, 

I was literally scared of him because of all the horrible m.olestation accusations I'd see on magazine covers plus he looked creepy as hell.

Its a shame that he got so much plastic surgery cause he literally was GORGEOUS when he was young especially in the 80s.

Like I said, I do love his music especially his 80s ones but my image of him is forever tainted by those accusations.

• Super Mods
2 hours ago, nwonder said:

voted for Tupac 

:verycool_britney_nod_glory_yes_yas_mhmm:

Janet and MJ (the artist) too

And The Smiths even tho they aren’t included.

I appreciate the rest of those artists bodies of work and I used to liked Mariah in the early 2000s but don’t follow her career much since.

Who are The Smiths? :umsaywhat_adele_hmm_umm_thinking_confused_unsure:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block