The Guardian: Is Tik Tok Killing Off The Pop Music Bridge?

I'm Gen Z and as much as I appreciate Tik Tok for bringing many wonderful indie artists into the forefront, I wholeheartedly detest this trend of eliminating the bridges to make a song shorter than 3 minutes :beat_fighting_punching_hitting_angry:

However, it's not that we can't listen to songs longer than 3 minutes. Lana Del Rey has a huge gen z fanbase and some of her most adored songs are over 4 minutes (and even 6 minutes, 9 minutes). Truth is that many artists have to put more effort into their songs being interesting enough to extend till the point of a bridge. However, why do that when you can easily get millions of streams and go viral for a 15-second snippet of the song? :rlynow_britney_really_clasped_um_ok_seriously: It's more about artistic integrity getting tangled with label pressure and Tik Tok virality, rather than gen z being these bimbos with the attention span of a fly according to many ppl :verycool_britney_nod_glory_yes_yas_mhmm:

• Love 2

The bridge isn't anywhere near the verses? :huh_britney_confused_what_2003_itz_zone_in_the: The bridge is almost always after the second chorus, and is followed by a repeat of the chorus.

But yeah, Tik Tok is wreaking havoc on the music industry's standards of the past few decades. We have to remember though, things are cyclical. Back in the 40's, songs were also less than 3 minutes, much like they are today. Back in the 70's and 80's, songs were like 7-8 minutes long! And then we went back down to between 3 and 4 minutes. So we'll get longer songs at some point again.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

The bridge is always the best part of the song. New artists just want to go viral and make a hit for tiktok. It doesn't need a bridge it just needs a cute 30 second hook. 

Artists... I'm sorry, REAL artists are the ones who know the art of songwriting and put effort into their music. It's not about the numbers, it's about the SOUND and the EMOTION it evokes. 

• Love 2
On 12/9/2022 at 4:25 PM, BrittonJeanSpears said:

The bridge isn't anywhere near the verses? :huh_britney_confused_what_2003_itz_zone_in_the: The bridge is almost always after the second chorus, and is followed by a repeat of the chorus.

But yeah, Tik Tok is wreaking havoc on the music industry's standards of the past few decades. We have to remember though, things are cyclical. Back in the 40's, songs were also less than 3 minutes, much like they are today. Back in the 70's and 80's, songs were like 7-8 minutes long! And then we went back down to between 3 and 4 minutes. So we'll get longer songs at some point again.

The length of the songs in the periods you mentioned were because of the size of vinyls.

Songs got longer at the end of 70s because of Disco era, they started to release single songs on 12 inch vinyls instead of 7inch, so the Djs didnt have to switch vinyls that often and the song had more time to get caught the audience. Thats why songs before were usually 3 minutes or shorter cause they were on smaller vinyl with higher speed of 78rpm

So back then problem was physical capacity of the vinyl, now the problem is mental capacity of Gen Z  lol

• Haha 2

I do think the conversation is a tad overexaggerated, though. Different types of music can serve different purposes. I can put on a cheesy TikTok hit and shake my azz, but I can also put on some Björk and have my mind blown. The problem is record labels expecting every artist to be a TikTok influencer and make TikTok-friendly songs. The music industry is still run by out of touch senior citizens and it shows.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, MIKE_INT said:

now the problem is mental capacity of Gen Z  lol

However, it's not that we can't listen to songs longer than 3 minutes. Lana Del Rey has a huge gen z fanbase and some of her most adored songs are over 4 minutes (and even 6 minutes, 9 minutes). Truth is that many artists have to put more effort into their songs being interesting enough to extend till the point of a bridge. However, why do that when you can easily get millions of streams and go viral for a 15-second snippet of the song? :rlynow_britney_really_clasped_um_ok_seriously: It's more about artistic integrity getting tangled with label pressure and Tik Tok virality, rather than gen z being these bimbos with the attention span of a fly according to many ppl :verycool_britney_nod_glory_yes_yas_mhmm:

What I said earlier :well_cookie_monster_point_blue_black:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block