This Day in Pop: Britney Spears guest stars on Jane the Virgin episode "Chapter Twenty-seven" in 2015 (November 9)

janethevirgin.jpg.69d52f59d873250aa2f6ac934bb0696f.jpg001.jpg

On November 9, 2015 Britney Spears guest starred on "Chapter Twnety-seven", the fifth episode of Jane the Virgin's second season. The episode written by Jessica O'Toole and directed by Jann Turner displays Britney as the nemesis of Rogelio (Jaime Camil) playing a parody of herself, as she arrives to the Marbella Hotel to perform. We see her interacting with Jane throughout the episode, and we also learn that Rogelio is mad at her for a teleprompter incident that happened in 2009 when the two of them presented at the Latin Pop Music Awards, so he tries to confront her while she pretends not to know him. Jane eventually talks to her to find out she was the first to get mad at him for revealing to the paparazzi where she was gonna be in one occasion, but ultimately convinces her to reconcile with her father through a video call.

002.jpg

Gina Rodriguez who plays Jane on the series commented about Britney on set “You can tell she just wanted to be there. I mean, you can tell she’s got comedy chops. Like nobody’s business.

002.jpg

Jaime Camil also talked about his experience working with Britney: "She’s actually very good as an actress. She’s so nice, always on time, always a professional, always ready to explore what is best for the show acting-wise, super sweet, super friendly. As you know, like seven months ago, she said that she really dug the show. But she is a mega-worldwide superstar so we were all pleasantly surprised about her cooperation and how willing she was to play with us and have fun. It was a really, really pleasant surprise."

003.jpg

In 2020, Mexican actress Yadhira Carrillo revealed she was asked by Jaime Camil to play this role first, but she had to refuse due to the business that she runs in Mexico City.

f7caf40a804f03b341ecb0621302b781.gif

tumblr_nxbozvLc5Y1ra4d6ro1_540.gif

tumblr_nx9ek6sfCN1qb9jcko1_500.gif

004.jpg

002.jpg

142.jpg

182.jpg

275.jpg

358.jpg

399.jpg

510.jpg

530.jpg

007.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

In 2020, Mexican actress Yadhira Carrillo revealed that Jaime Camil actually called her first to appear in this episode instead of Britney, but she couldn't take the opportunity due to other businesses.

Well, it was a bad idea, who would have thought of inviting a complete stranger as a guest star. I mean, only Mexicans know her.

27 minutes ago, Alex Murr said:

Well, it was a bad idea, who would have thought of inviting a complete stranger as a guest star. I mean, only Mexicans know her.

I suppose she would've played a caricature of an actress. Tbh, in the series Jaime Camil's character was supposed to be a telenovela actor, so it would've made more sense for his rival to be another Latina telenovela actress.

The whole rivalry with Britney (or a caricature of Britney anyways), who was American and a singer, not to mention much younger than him, just because of the paparazzi or whatever was the excuse, seemed pretty forced and kinda dumb story-wise. Yadhira would've been his same nationality, age and profession and a story of them working in the same project(s) but her always overshadowing him or something, would've made more sense. 

Of course I loved having Britney instead, but it's like the writers didn't trust she could play an actual character other than an exaggerated version of herself. 

Shout out to my least favorite guest spot appearance. I’ve never seen an episode of this show besides the one she was on. She should done “Modern Family” as planned, but her team botched that.

Her guest spots on “Will & Grace” and “How I Met Your Mother” were genuinely funny and memorable.
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block