Grammys: ‘Jennifer Lopez is arguably the most influential Latin entertainer of all time’

8 hours ago, princessmimi said:

What about Selena??
She may be dead but if it werent for her dying, JLO would've NEVER become famous!

I like JLO dont get me wrong but she is FAR from influential

Saying she’s far from influential is such a stretch and absolute lie. She is an icon and is the reason Google Images exists. Regardless if Selena’s passing gave her her big break, it is unfair to attribute everything to that. That’s the same as saying that Britney has TLC to thank for turning down BOMT. JLO has accomplished what many new artists won’t. They didn’t lie and I can’t name a more influential Latina entertainer with more impact than her. 

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, DougFromBrazilIsBack said:

Can JLo be considered “Latina” like Shakira, Selena, Thalia? JLo was born in America from Puerto Rican parents but she’s not a true Latina. 

She’d still be Hispanic-American, her parents are still from a Latin/Hispanic country. (Okay wait is Puerto Rico even a country?)

4 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Saying she’s far from influential is such a stretch and absolute lie. She is an icon and is the reason Google Images exists. Regardless if Selena’s passing gave her her big break, it is unfair to attribute everything to that. That’s the same as saying that Britney has TLC to thank for turning down BOMT. JLO has accomplished what many new artists won’t. They didn’t lie and I can’t name a more influential Latina entertainer with more impact than her. 

I agree. Pop culture fans hesitate to take in consideration the global impact as if US is the only market in the world. If you think Selena is more globally known than Jennifer Lopez then you’re straight up delusional! :leaving_tiffany_pollard_walk_away_leaving_bye_walking_out_pink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_bag:

Jennifer Lopez is a multi talented show girl with a career that’s been consistently longer than most of our favorite pop stars and this has nothing to do with a Selena. I mean… go fetch a brain!:begone_tiffany_miss_ny_new_york_ms_door_there_leave_bye_goodbye:

Jennifer Lopez is her own person and ALL the merit goes to her and her only. We tend to fetishize over dead artists or artists that were relevant for short periods of time and it’s giving toxic. :leaving_tiffany_pollard_walk_away_leaving_bye_walking_out_pink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_bag:

• Love 2
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, Style. said:

I agree. Pop culture fans hesitate to take in consideration the global impact as if US is the only market in the world. If you think Selena is more globally known than Jennifer Lopez then you’re straight up delusional! :leaving_tiffany_pollard_walk_away_leaving_bye_walking_out_pink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_bag:

Jennifer Lopez is a multi talented show girl with a career that’s been consistently longer than most of our favorite pop stars and this has nothing to do with a Selena. I mean… go fetch a brain!:begone_tiffany_miss_ny_new_york_ms_door_there_leave_bye_goodbye:

Jennifer Lopez is her own person and ALL the merit goes to her and her only. We tend to fetishize over dead artists or artists that were relevant for short periods of time and it’s giving toxic. :leaving_tiffany_pollard_walk_away_leaving_bye_walking_out_pink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_bag:

I bet no one in Brazil knows Selena. JLo is more recognizable because of movies she did. 

• Super Mods
15 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

But I mean musically.

I dont recall JLO ever breaking records in the music industry nor have I see other singers say she's an inspiration.

Like I said, I DONT hate her, im actually a big fan of hers but im just saying that there are other more influential artists including Selena

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, princessmimi said:

But I mean musically.

I dont recall JLO ever breaking records in the music industry nor have I see other singers say she's an inspiration.

Like I said, I DONT hate her, im actually a big fan of hers but im just saying that there are other more influential artists including Selena

I think Shakira, Gloria Stefan and Selena are the truly breaking barriers to Latinos in America. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, Alexanda said:

Shame? Just because i don't know all local american artists? Alright...

She is not internationally known... 

Shakira on the other hand: Hit after hit after hit, like 10 top 10 songs here, we love her. :) 

Yes, Selena was mainly popular amongst the hispanic community in the US. Her popularity was beginning to expand, but then she was killed. I imagine few people in Germany are familiar with her. 

@Isla Yes, Puerto Rico is part of Latin America and a territory of the USA. Jennifer Lopez is as ethnically Latin as her NYC-born ex-husband Marc Anthony. A ton of Puerto Ricans are born in NYC. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, DougFromBrazilIsBack said:

I think Shakira, Gloria Stefan and Selena are the truly breaking barriers to Latinos in America. 

That is exactly the trio that makes sense to me for influence in the U.S. With music at least. I'd argue Jennifer's influence is more significant in film and in inspiring Google Images. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, IsraeliMatt said:

That is exactly the trio that makes sense to me for influence in the U.S. With music at least. I'd argue Jennifer's influence is more significant in film and in inspiring Google Images. 

2 hours ago, princessmimi said:

But I mean musically.

She became the first Hispanic artist to earn $1 million for a film, the highest paid Hispanic actress in Hollywood, her remix album became the first #1 remix album on the Billboard Hot 100 (tell me how a REMIX album debuting at #1 three years into her music career does not mean impact musically?). Her films grossed over $3 billion, sold 80 million records, inspired Google Images, performed at the Super Bowl decades into her career, a triple threat, relationships are media frenzies (Bennifer major example), has Hollywood Walk of Fame Star, Vanguard Award, Billboard Icon Award and contributed to Latin music popularity in the US. JLO walked so Shakira could run. Selena Gomez, Gwen Stefani, Bebe Rexha, Becky G, Normani, Fifth Harmony, Rita Ora and others all list her as an influence. 

You don’t have to hate her to downplay her legacy and achievements. JLO is the most influential Latina artist musically and in the film industry. 

• Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

She became the first Hispanic artist to earn $1 million for a film, the highest paid Hispanic actress in Hollywood, her remix album became the first #1 remix album on the Billboard Hot 100 (tell me how a REMIX album debuting at #1 three years into her music career does not mean impact musically?). Her films grossed over $3 billion, sold 80 million records, inspired Google Images, performed at the Super Bowl decades into her career, a triple threat, relationships are media frenzies (Bennifer major example), has Hollywood Walk of Fame Star, Vanguard Award, Billboard Icon Award and contributed to Latin music popularity in the US. JLO walked so Shakira could run. Selena Gomez, Gwen Stefani, Bebe Rexha, Becky G, Normani, Fifth Harmony, Rita Ora and others all list her as an influence. 

You don’t have to hate her to downplay her legacy and achievements. JLO is the most influential Latina artist musically and in the film industry. 

I have a lot of Jennifer's Spanish music on my iTunes. I do like much of her music and most of her acting. I did acknowledge her influence in film. Good point on her remix album. Ultimately Jennifer can be a bit hard to compare because she does so many things. This conversation reminds me of conversations I observed during the Super Bowl. The Shakira/Jennifer comparison comes down to details of what they've done and where they're being assessed. I like both.  

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block