Grammys: ‘Jennifer Lopez is arguably the most influential Latin entertainer of all time’

JLo is incredibly successful, but she is NOT the most influential Latin (FEMALE) entertainer. Shakira is.

JLo is stunning and she's a part of every single party that could exist, but Shakira is already a fixed character in Latin communities, and she's definitely respected more as an artist: she writes her own songs and many of them are already classics that only get better with time. AND she's still relevant.

The thing is, JLo does a bazillion things at a time, so she's know, and she's good at, many things, but she doesn't really stand out in any of them.

We already went through this during the Super Bowl... :nyheadache_miss_ny_new_york_tiffany_annoyed_head_rub_irritated_red_tired:

However, I don't think Shakira is the most influential Latin artist overall. There are way too many successful artists, and that's harder to measure. For example, Luis Miguel was HUGE (a sort of Latin Frank Sinatra), and Ricky Martin is the quintessential Latin pop artist. Then there's Enrique Iglesias... He's massive. But yeah, they're all men, so they love to rest on their past accomplishments, so they don't work as hard as women... :sofedup_fed_up_miss_ny_ms_new_york_done_tiffany_pollard_eye_roll_eyeroll_whatever:

1 hour ago, LaLisaManoban said:

Americans need to understand one thing: Selena was only huge in the USA. (and maybe in Latin America). She was nothing in Europe or the rest of the world.

Shakira is the true latin legend and is famous EVERYWHERE

Selena? Gomez? 

I don't know another Selena, i'm sorry? 

But i know Shakira for sure! 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

Dont matter.

Selena is still a bigger influence than JLO ever was and will be!

You see Selena's influence in music to this day.

Can you say the same for JLO?

JLo influenced Thalia’s English music career :quirkney_britney_well_welp_giggle_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_joke:

I get that they say Selenas is local but she still influences all these younger Spanish speaking pop girls. I love JLo but I agree with you. Selena has had a bigger influence on the industry. BUT JLo is a huge Latina success. So I’m not taking away from her, but I would say she’s more influential as a Latina actress than as a Latina singer.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block