People have always tried to discredit Britney and make her look like a talentless chick because... she's too pretty?

i don't think there's much correlation between ppl underestimating her and her beauty - bc we have a lot of examples of beautiful singers that weren't underrated such as Xtina, Beyonce, Mariah...

i think Britney has a unique voice. it's not a powerful, strong voice like xtina's or mariah's, and that's what made the GP underestimate her. She danced like no other during her prime but she made it seem so effortless ppl actually thought it was easy to dance like britney spears :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: idk, i think it's more about her not having the traditional powerhouse voice than the beautiful/dumb stereotype, but i may be wrong.

• Love 4
  • Like 3

I wouldn't say beauty necessarily. Because like someone said there are other "beautiful" women who were ir are taken seriously. 

Id say maybe some of it is the whole lip syncing thing. That was a big negative draw back then. And it's still people's go to dig at her. 

I'm gonna say that another reason possibly is her s**/s**ual image. 

That definitely had a negative impact. Because it overshadowed her talent. Not for us because we see the talent and iconic status. But definitely for the gp.

Ad then everything around Kevin/2004 definitely didn't help the go take her seriously. Because they latch onto one thing and run with it forever. Which is unfortunate. 

But honestly. The fans and people. And her peers/younger artists who know and see her talent and impact. At the end of the day are all that matter 

• Love 4
  • Like 4

Several factors stand out to me

-Britney has not made vocals the focal point of her career. People don't respect overuse of lip syncing. I get it, I'd also like to hear her voice more, but I recognize that Britney's approach to her career has been being an entertainer. You can't put on her show without a fair amount of lipping at least. And let's be honest...who wants to hear a live vocal of extremely produced songs like 'I Wanna Go' (adore that song, no shade) 

-The ***iness of her work. I recall actress/poet Amber Tamblyn, whom I'm certain would call herself a feminist, referring to Britney early on as having no talent, that she was "all T & A," meaning just there to be eye candy. It's interesting to me how people ignored the reality that her dancing was pure talent. She's one of the best dancers ever amongst recording artists. 

-The lightness of her work. A lot of the time it's not what people would call deep, thought-provoking, and little to no political undertones. 

-Her being a woman. I've noticed how people were faster to view her male peers as legitimate artists such as Justin Timberlake, Justin Bieber, Michael Jackson, etc. Britney can do similar work and it's harder for her to find similar respect.  

-Not seen as the artist. This point in particular is, IMO, influenced by her ***iness. I've heard critiques about her not making the choreography, not writing songs to delegitimize her, which once again ignores the exceptional talent of her dancing. This view doesn't reflect that her singing gives the personality to the songs. She's come up with video concepts and has written a considerable number of her songs, some of which were hits like 'Everytime' and 'Me Against The Music.' Britney nor her management ever felt compelled to push hard against this perception. Britney might've taken a page out of Madonna's book by deciding to learn enough guitar to play a bit at shows, which would've shifted some energy away from the idea of her being a model, but she did not. 

Britney's trajectory has had similarities to Kylie Minogue's. Both were viewed as **** girls who would maybe be a flash in the pan. Neither are known for playing instruments. They don't co-write all their songs, so the public doesn't know which hits they've written, and doesn't necessarily view them as song-writers. They gained widespread respect in the end by standing the test of time and being a major influence on artists who came after them. 

• Love 8
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, IsraeliMatt said:

Several factors stand out to me

-Britney has not made vocals the focal point of her career. People don't respect overuse of lip syncing. I get it, I'd also like to hear her voice more, but I recognize that Britney's approach to her career has been being an entertainer. You can't put on her show without a fair amount of lipping at least. And let's be honest...who wants to hear a live vocal of extremely produced songs like 'I Wanna Go' (adore that song, no shade) 

-The ***iness of her work. I recall actress/poet Amber Tamblyn, whom I'm certain would call herself a feminist, referring to Britney early on as having no talent, that she was "all T & A," meaning just there to be eye candy. It's interesting to me how people ignored the reality that her dancing was pure talent. She's one of the best dancers ever amongst recording artists. 

-The lightness of her work. A lot of the time it's not what people would call deep, thought-provoking, and little to no political undertones. 

-Her being a woman. I've noticed how people were faster to view her male peers as legitimate artists such as Justin Timberlake, Justin Bieber, Michael Jackson, etc. Britney can do similar work and it's harder for her to find similar respect.  

-Not seen as the artist. This point in particular is, IMO, influenced by her ***iness. I've heard critiques about her not making the choreography, not writing songs to delegitimize her, which once again ignores the exceptional talent of her dancing. This view doesn't reflect that her singing gives the personality to the songs. She's come up with video concepts and has written a considerable number of her songs, some of which were hits like 'Everytime' and 'Me Against The Music.' Britney nor her management ever felt compelled to push hard against this perception. Britney might've taken a page out of Madonna's book by deciding to learn enough guitar to play a bit at shows, which would've shifted some energy away from the idea of her being a model, but she did not. 

Britney's trajectory has had similarities to Kylie Minogue's. Both were viewed as **** girls who would maybe be a flash in the pan. Neither are known for playing instruments. They don't co-write all their songs, so the public doesn't know which hits they've written, and doesn't necessarily view them as song-writers. They gained widespread respect in the end by standing the test of time and being a major influence on artists who came after them. 

All of this, plus she's extremely successful anyway, so: envy.

Also, I'd add the fact that the attention on her personal life makes some people think she's famous for that and not so much because of her artistry.

And she's the kind of woman artist that doesn't pretend to be more than she is (in fact, I think she often downplays her own artistry), and like you said, she doesn't really try to fight that public perception of her as 'not a real artist', which sadly makes even her own fans sometimes discretit her value.

I also always thought she was never taken seriously or listened to because of her demeanor and the way she speaks, her shyness and sometimes lack of eloquence makes people jump to the dumb blonde stereotype (much like Marilyn, yes).

• Love 2
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, WilderWein said:

I remember seeing a comment on a Xtina music video on youtube where people said Xtina didn’t have to show so much skin because she has talent… Being beautiful and **** has absolutely nothing to do with having talent or not, but many think so for some reason?!? Very narrow minded way of thinking.

I understand that point, but don't view it in that way. First of all, have they watched 'Dirrty'? Secondly, just as there are different kinds of intelligence (academic, social, artistic), there are different kinds of talent. Xtina is stronger in vocals than dancing. Britney is stronger in dancing than vocals. They both have talent in each of those categories. I don't think it's necessary for Xtina fans to get on a high horse over her vocals, just as I don't think it's necessary to make fun of Xtina for having less mainstream longevity than Britney. It's a good thing that all artists offer something different, and no one should forget that every artist has their strengths and weaknesses. Celine Dion isn't a songwriter, Selena Gomez has a weak singing voice, Gaga's dancing could improve. I've enjoyed work from all these artists. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, ElenaB said:

i don't think there's much correlation between ppl underestimating her and her beauty - bc we have a lot of examples of beautiful singers that weren't underrated such as Xtina, Beyonce, Mariah..

I don't wanna sound awful but imo they are far from Britney's beauty peak and Britney had ''baby face'', blonde hair, brown eyes... Literally a barbie doll. It's more about that than just being beautiful

salda garša Piecdesmit Nepārtraukts saderināšanās Tikt galā ar Daba barbie  britney spears - e-desktopcomputers.comLet's not forget, she used to have this very sweet image...

New "Oops!... I Did It Again" era outtakes leak from Mark Seliger  photoshoots - Page 2 - Britney Spears - BreatheHeavy | Exhale

Britney Spears Photos (8713 of 10755) | Last.fm

Pin on BRITNEY ****** SPEARS

HD wallpaper: britney spears | Wallpaper Flare

• Love 2
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, Henry Torres said:

I don't wanna sound awful but imo they are far from Britney's beauty peak and Britney had ''baby face'', blonde hair, brown eyes... Literally a barbie doll. It's more about that than just being beautiful

salda garša Piecdesmit Nepārtraukts saderināšanās Tikt galā ar Daba barbie  britney spears - e-desktopcomputers.comLet's not forget, she used to have this very sweet image...

New "Oops!... I Did It Again" era outtakes leak from Mark Seliger  photoshoots - Page 2 - Britney Spears - BreatheHeavy | Exhale

yeah, she was the ultimate barbie doll, that's undeniable. but xtina had a similar image at the beginning (sweet, innocent) and wasn't underestimated. mariah had a very s3xy image during that time, which was shamed to an extent, but nobody said she didn't have any talents.

i mean, britney was the most beautiful woman in the world for me, but the others were beautiful and s3xy as well and the gp treated them differently. all of them were slt-shamed bc of misogyny tho. 

• Love 1

Britney came up in a time where having a good voice was the most important thing for a singer. Even today its hard for people to understand that being a dancer and enertainer is as important as having a good voice. Britney created a new era in pop music and the new generation, and people did not like it, so they discredit people like Britney.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Henry Torres said:

2/3 of the other women mentioned also have blonde hair and brown eyes and Xtina has blonde hair 

2 hours ago, ElenaB said:

i don't think there's much correlation between ppl underestimating her and her beauty - bc we have a lot of examples of beautiful singers that weren't underrated such as Xtina, Beyonce, Mariah...

i think Britney has a unique voice. it's not a powerful, strong voice like xtina's or mariah's, and that's what made the GP underestimate her. She danced like no other during her prime but she made it seem so effortless ppl actually thought it was easy to dance like britney spears :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: idk, i think it's more about her not having the traditional powerhouse voice than the beautiful/dumb stereotype, but i may be wrong.

to me, she is a 'voice actress' as o put it; she sing as a personas. Closer to Madonna

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ElenaB said:

yeah, she was the ultimate barbie doll, that's undeniable. but xtina had a similar image at the beginning (sweet, innocent) and wasn't underestimated. mariah had a very s3xy image during that time, which was shamed to an extent, but nobody said she didn't have any talents.

i mean, britney was the most beautiful woman in the world for me, but the others were beautiful and s3xy as well and the gp treated them differently. all of them were slt-shamed bc of misogyny tho. 

it is because they 'sold' her like that; a singing Barbie doll without opinion or concers. Inside, she was yelling:slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fays1 said:

Britney came up in a time where having a good voice was the most important thing for a singer. Even today its hard for people to understand that being a dancer and enertainer is as important as having a good voice. Britney created a new era in pop music and the new generation, and people did not like it, so they discredit people like Britney.

yes but Madonna was sold as that

commenting from a far, as time goes by, i am  sure she was a victim of sheer hatred and jealoushy not only from her peers but also from her idols.  Those dark fellings manifested when she made her own choices that led to her fall. 

She is or seems - to a point - like Marylin; she was so fetishised so much that they all forgot she is a human being with feelings apart from photo ops. Britney thank God, is lucky! She is in parts free!

i love them both!

45 minutes ago, pop analyst said:

yes but Madonna was sold as that

That's a good point. I agree both with you and the person you were quoting. Madonna and Britney have big similarities. Both dancers, not powerhouse singers. Madonna has a reputation for being a control-freak, though. She's credited as a co-writer on virtually all her songs. Her work is often political (think 'American Life'). She plays guitar. She's done so many things in entertainment outside her main career, including acting on Broadway, directing films, releasing a photography book, and delivering a well-received performance in a film adaptation of an Andrew Lloyd Weber musical. She's seen as more of an auteur more than Britney. Madonna is really the ultimate female rock star, and even though people know Michael Jackson was more of a born singer, they respect that Madonna held her own and is his female counterpart. She helped create the blueprint for what so many people did after her.  

Honestly, I do wish Britney's career would be a little more like Madonna's. I wouldn't want her to have Madonna's ego though. 

Edit: The difference in their reputations was also shaped by the age at which they entered the industry. Madonna was in her early 20's releasing songs inspired by her New York City lifestyle of dance clubs and bohemian artist friends. Britney was a 16-year-old girl who started with bubblegum pop. Like, imagine how the public perception of Miley would be somewhat different if Hannah Montana never happened and her career started with her Stevie Nicks-esque most recent album. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block