"Embarrassed" Adele Reveals What Really Led to Delayed Las Vegas Residency

Z91

Adele is reflecting on the "worst moment in my career."

A little more than six months after the Grammy winner announced she would have to postpone her 2022 Las Vegas residency tour dates, the singer has opened up about the behind-the-scenes debacles that led to the decision. (ICYMI, in January, Adele shared a tearful video explaining the decision, one day before the concert was set to open at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace).

"It was the worst moment in my career, by far," she told Elle in a cover story published Aug. 15. "I was so excited about those shows. It was devastating." 

As the "Easy on Me" singer explained, her show didn't feel quite up to par with what she wanted to give her fans. "There was just no soul in it," she continued. "The stage setup wasn't right. It was very disconnected from me and my band, and it lacked intimacy. And maybe I tried too hard to give it those things in such a controlled environment."

After announcing her postponement earlier this year, the 34-year-old said she experienced a range of emotions—but noted that the decision was helpful in more ways than one. 

"The first couple of months was really, really hard," she shared. "I was embarrassed. But it actually made my confidence in myself grow, because it was a very brave thing to do. And I don't think many people would have done what I did. I'm very proud of myself for standing by my artistic needs." 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Zach F said:

I like Adele’s music but I wouldn’t use the word brave, it would have been brave of her to push through and do the show she had 

I think I agree with you, and I'm personally someone who holds myself to very high standards and would hate to do creative work that I felt wasn't quite good enough. People came to Vegas to see her and they wasted their money because she waited until the last minute to cancel. I feel like they would have preferred to see Adele in a flawed show than not at all. 

• Love 2
  • Like 3
  • Super Mods
10 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

She’s so out of touch. :icant2_britney_nope_smh_head_shake_disappointed_everytime:

Yeah  many people wouldn’t have done what you did because it was super selfish and ****ty to your fans and everyone that works for you.  

Not her thinking that calling some fans would make up for the thousands of dollars that was wasted by many because of her :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

There's a very slight hypocrisy in these responses, considering that this is the same forum that had daily threads on Piece of Me, and the biggest critics is that the show felt impersonal. 

It's a lose lose situation, because if she had done the show, she would have been criticised for it being exactly as she has now described. 

Let artists call the shots on their show, particularly if it's for the better.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

There's a very slight hypocrisy in these responses, considering that this is the same forum that had daily threads on Piece of Me, and the biggest critics is that the show felt impersonal. 

It's a lose lose situation, because if she had done the show, she would have been criticised for it being exactly as she has now described. 

Let artists call the shots on their show, particularly if it's for the better.

She was there for rehearsals. Why didn’t she cancel it two week, one week, even 3-5 days before? She cancelled it the day before. Imagine being a fan who bought a flight and hotel to go see her and was already in Vegas only to see her cancel the day before you were supposed to be her. All that wasted money, energy, and time off work.

I understand there are a lot of pressures with fame and trying to make things work, but if you’re feeling that bad about it, you should’ve been more considerate and given at least a week ahead notice. Again, she was in rehearsals, it’s not like she couldn’t have seen things weren’t going her way any earlier than the day before it was supposed to start.

But no, she’s so brave for having artistic integrity!! Gtfo with that BS, Adele. :tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:

• Love 1
  • Like 5

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.