Who Owns Britney’s Music?

14 minutes ago, BlackoutITZ said:

Britney's publishing company is Universal Music Group (not Sony/RCA like was stated by @mocha latto). She is signed to RCA, a label under Sony Music, which makes her a Sony recording artist but her publishing is owned by Universal.

Her publishing was originally through Zomba, which was bought and sold to Universal in the late 2000's so therefore her publishing was transferred to Universal.

To answer your question about the difference between a publishing company and a record label, and who releases the music, the publishing company are the people who own the composition of a song and handle the royalties. So for example, if you were to cover a Britney Spears song, you would be covering property owned by Universal Music Group. Anyone can cover a song, but if you plan to release it professionally you would need a mechanical rights license from the publishing company. The actual master recording of a song, the work you hear when you listen to Britney Spears on streaming services, on her CD's, or on the radio, is owned by the record label. So while you can cover a song with a mechanical rights license, you cannot use or recreate the master recording which is owned by the record label, which in Britney's case is Sony/RCA.

I hope that clears things up for you. I work in this field so I tend to understand the workings of it more than someone who is going in blind. I hope I explained it well for you.

The Goldbergs Thank You GIF by ABC Network
I love learning from B stans. Everyone here is so talented and smart. 😘

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Callie4610 said:

Why is Michael Kane even her financial manager considering he is close friends with Larry Rudolph and she even said in the court recording, that she didn’t approve of him. So why is he still around now that she’s free and why was he at her wedding of all places? 

It's so W E I R D. 

Like we may never actually know the reasons until the court figures it out, but the fish is funky no matter how you interpret it. :mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block