Britney Spears’ “Britney” Is The Most Underrated Album Released This Millennium

7 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

You read that right y’all. Britney by the legendary Miss Britney Spears is THE most UNDERRATED album released this millennium. The album, singles, and videos deserved more. The fact it is her least streamed album is a sin and a shame. A perfect record from beginning to end. No fillers. No sleepers. No skippers. Pop perfection and haters can deal.  

Beyoncé could never.

Taylor could never.

Katy could never.

Gaga could never.

Billie could never.

Adele could never.

All the pop girls, boys and other folks could never. 

spacer.png

I love you more and more each day! :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

It’s an incredible pop album and up there with Oops and ITZ as part of the trinity.

My only issue is that both Cinderella and Bombastic Love’s production sounded outdated upon release and steers away the album from the R&B and urban pop direction. I know Cinderella is a fan favorite but it just doesn’t sound cohesive on the album. I also hate how the background vocals take over the lead vocals in that song making it very Myah Jean-esque. :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what: If anything, Britney should have harmonized because the background vocalists were not doing her justice in that song. I also hate how sharp she sounds in both Cinderella and Bombastic Love. Definitely two tracks on the album that weigh the album down. Don’t get me wrong, they’re great but it’s the production and vocals that I have a slight issue with because other than that, the potential was there and they’re still great pop songs with a killer hook/melody. Before the Goodbye is another fan favorite but why did they have to leave it hanging like that without a proper bridge and final chorus. :orangu_orangutan_ape: If I’m not mistaken, that song was left unfinished so that makes sense it was left as a bonus track. 

Aside and regardless of those minor hiccups, I’d have to say that Britney is in fact one of the greatest pop albums of the 21st century and yes, extremely underrated as well in terms of never receiving the flowers it truly deserved. All the songs are extremely catchy, the production is well done and she sounds good on almost all of the tracks. It has immense replay value and still holds very well 20+ years later making it a definitive album from the magic that was the Y2K era. Let’s also not forget the highs on that album are immaculate and well let’s face it, most pop girls can only dream of having an album that solid — and most of the main pop girls haven’t or never come close. :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

7 hours ago, Stannedforever said:

I've been loving this album lately. My personal favorite is probably Lonely and from bonus tracks I Run Away :yesplease_yas_agree_preach::whiteladydance_scarlett_dancing_happy_johansson:

Although I'm bit bummed that it's kind of "tie-in" with crossroads so it's kinda her most personal album + a movie soundtrack... I wish we got to hear "Britney's version" of Britney :boredashell_pink_britney_hmm_blink_well_umm::akii_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao:

Yeah I love Britney it’s one of my favorite albums by her. She probably has the most writing Creds on this albums, Britney even posted herself singing to lonely a few months ago, and one of the producers posted on ig how dedicated Britney was to the writing process for “Britney” even tho it was Britney’s life being told through the lens of her character Lucy!

The problem with the album Britney is it was filled with TOO many great songs that the single choices could’ve been much better.

i feel like overprotected should’ve been lead, Slave 2nd, what it’s like to be me third, I’m not a girl 4th. that’s when I found you or anticipation released as the 5th international only single or something lol

it seems her team struggled with the direction for this album it sounds like 2 different albums at some points.  It’s a weird collection of songs tbh it’s not very cohesive, it goes from “urban” to 2002 pop. Some proper edits to the track list, remove some of the repetitive sounding songs like before the goodbye, boys, I love rock n roll and you have a solid album 

Since we’re all here proclaiming how underrated this album is can we also admit that Slave 4 u was a bad song choice for this album maybe would’ve been better suited for ITZ. It had its shock value for sure but that’s it. It was a bad lead singles choice as well for radio, most the song is beats….it’s clearly a dance single not a single that was ever gonna top the 100 charts. I honestly only stream slave 4 u when I want to dance it’s not a song you casually listen to 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, 3IsACharm33 said:

Since we’re all here proclaiming how underrated this album is can we also admit that Slave 4 u was a bad song choice for this album maybe would’ve been better suited for ITZ. It had its shock value for sure but that’s it. It was a bad lead singles choice as well for radio, most the song is beats….it’s clearly a dance single not a single that was ever gonna top the 100 charts. I honestly only stream slave 4 u when I want to dance it’s not a song you casually listen to 

Bad lead single? Bad song choice for the album?? Not a song you casually listen to??? Better suited for ITZ????? (when that sound was a trend during 2000-02). Good lord, being delusional on every count once again but are we surprised from someone who seems to be lacking… well? :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand: Please, on behalf of Exhale, hear yourself out, do better research and make sense of things before you press post. Anyway — let’s backtrack. ‘Slave’ is a brilliant masterpiece and could NOT have been a better lead to follow up from the cultural resets that were ‘Baby’ and ‘Oops’ as if that was even possible. It was daring, bold and unexpected from a superstar like Britney. It wasn’t just a song or video. It was a literal cultural reset, the template for the ‘good girl gone bad’ image that practically every female teen star has followed pursuit and a bonafide pop culture moment that will continue to be remembered for decades to come. The intro and verses perfectly encapsulate what she was feeling and the effects of the song/video rollout changed the game for many pop artists to come. 2001 was also the perfect time to release ‘Slave’ because of that iconic The Neptunes drum-pattern and synth which was one of, if not the hottest sounds in music that year. You can hear it on ‘Please Don’t Mind’ by Philly’s Most Wanted, ‘I Just Wanna Love U’ by JAY Z, ‘Young Fresh N New’ by Kelis, ‘Dem Thangz’ by Angie Martinez and ‘U Don’t Have to Call’ by Usher — to name a few. What made ‘Slave’ stand out, however, was how a bubblegum pop starlet was able to take a slick hip-hop beat and make it her damn own. That being said, it wouldn’t have made sense to release ‘Slave’ in 2003, especially in an rapidly-evolving music industry during what was the early 2000s. The song was fresh, exciting and to this day — remains one of the greatest pop songs of all time and arguably just as influential as her debut and sophomore single. ‘Slave’, along with its visuals solidified her status as a permanent fixture in pop and took her superstardom to a worldly level. I’m just thankful fangirls like you weren’t ever in charge of Britney’s career because she would have been in deep career suicide had your flop idea ever been an idea. Please ban yourself for even thinking you could bash the masterpiece that is ‘Slave’.

@Blackout2006 @CrazyButItFeelsAllright @Henry Torres like are yall reading this delusional shytttt that flop member 3isaFlop just spewed out?spacer.png

And yes, ‘Slave’ deserved every bit of that paragraph I wrote out for being the timeless classic and club staple that it is. Poor @3IsACharm33 yet again. spacer.png

@Blackout2006 also see what I have to go through working double-shift on Exhale to knock common sense into the disillusioned. This place would have even been further down the drain had I decided to retire. It’s EXHAUSTING. 

spacer.png

• Haha 3
  • Like 1

My favorite album of hers. I don’t think it’s underrated at all. It’s a flawless album with an amazing era. Radio was awful to her back then. 

Cinderella (should have been a single) Anticipating. Lonely. Bombastic Love. Let me be. That’s where you take me. All bops. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, GODNA IS A QUEEN said:

Bad lead single? Bad song choice for the album? Not a song you casually listen to? Better suited for ITZ (when that sound was a trend during 2000-02). Good lord, being delusional on every count once again but are we surprised from someone who seems to be lacking… well? :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand: Please, on behalf of Exhale, hear yourself out and make sense of things before you press post. Anyway — let’s backtrack. ‘Slave’ is a brilliant masterpiece and could NOT have been a better lead to follow up from the cultural resets that were ‘Baby’ and ‘Oops’ as if that was even possible. It was daring, bold and unexpected from a superstar like Britney. It wasn’t just a song or video. It was a literal cultural reset, the template for the ‘good girl gone bad’ image that practically every female teen star has followed pursuit and a bonafide pop culture moment that will continue to be remembered for decades to come. The intro and verses perfectly encapsulate what she was feeling and the effects of the song/video rollout changed the game for many pop artists to come. 2001 was also the perfect time to release ‘Slave’ because of that iconic The Neptunes drum-pattern and synth which was one of, if not the hottest sounds in music that year. You can hear it on ‘Please Don’t Mind’ by Philly’s Most Wanted, ‘I Just Wanna Love U’ by JAY Z, ‘Young Fresh N New’ by Kelis, ‘Dem Thangz’ by Angie Martinez and ‘U Don’t Have to Call’ by Usher — to name a few. What made ‘Slave’ stand out, however, was how a bubblegum pop starlet was able to take a slick hip-hop beat and make it her damn own. That being said, it wouldn’t have made sense to release ‘Slave’ in 2003, especially in an rapidly-evolving music industry during what was the early 2000s. The song was fresh, exciting and to this day — remains one of the greatest pop songs of all time and arguably just as influential as her debut and sophomore single. ‘Slave’, along with its visuals solidified her status as a permanent fixture in pop and took her superstardom to a worldly level. I’m just thankful fangirls like you weren’t ever in charge of Britney’s career because she would have been in deep career suicide had your flop idea ever been an idea. Please ban yourself for even thinking you could bash the masterpiece that is ‘Slave’.

@Blackout2006 @CrazyButItFeelsAllright @Henry Torres like are yall reading this delusional shytttt that flop member 3isaFlop just spewed out?spacer.png

And yes, ‘Slave’ deserved every bit of that paragraph I wrote out for being the timeless classic and club staple that it is. Poor @3IsACharm33 yet again. spacer.png

This review :wow_surprised_shocked_omg:

• Haha 4
33 minutes ago, GODNA IS A QUEEN said:

Bad lead single? Bad song choice for the album?? Not a song you casually listen to??? Better suited for ITZ????? (when that sound was a trend during 2000-02). Good lord, being delusional on every count once again but are we surprised from someone who seems to be lacking… well? :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand: Please, on behalf of Exhale, hear yourself out, do better research and make sense of things before you press post. Anyway — let’s backtrack. ‘Slave’ is a brilliant masterpiece and could NOT have been a better lead to follow up from the cultural resets that were ‘Baby’ and ‘Oops’ as if that was even possible. It was daring, bold and unexpected from a superstar like Britney. It wasn’t just a song or video. It was a literal cultural reset, the template for the ‘good girl gone bad’ image that practically every female teen star has followed pursuit and a bonafide pop culture moment that will continue to be remembered for decades to come. The intro and verses perfectly encapsulate what she was feeling and the effects of the song/video rollout changed the game for many pop artists to come. 2001 was also the perfect time to release ‘Slave’ because of that iconic The Neptunes drum-pattern and synth which was one of, if not the hottest sounds in music that year. You can hear it on ‘Please Don’t Mind’ by Philly’s Most Wanted, ‘I Just Wanna Love U’ by JAY Z, ‘Young Fresh N New’ by Kelis, ‘Dem Thangz’ by Angie Martinez and ‘U Don’t Have to Call’ by Usher — to name a few. What made ‘Slave’ stand out, however, was how a bubblegum pop starlet was able to take a slick hip-hop beat and make it her damn own. That being said, it wouldn’t have made sense to release ‘Slave’ in 2003, especially in an rapidly-evolving music industry during what was the early 2000s. The song was fresh, exciting and to this day — remains one of the greatest pop songs of all time and arguably just as influential as her debut and sophomore single. ‘Slave’, along with its visuals solidified her status as a permanent fixture in pop and took her superstardom to a worldly level. I’m just thankful fangirls like you weren’t ever in charge of Britney’s career because she would have been in deep career suicide had your flop idea ever been an idea. Please ban yourself for even thinking you could bash the masterpiece that is ‘Slave’.

The way you ended them 

FVzXNWu.gif

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block