Melodi Brown's In the Zone ref track "Spin the Record" surfaces

34 minutes ago, wrgrgwrgwrggwrwwrg said:

yeah nvm it wont happen

he agreed with someone that he could use the CD himself but that he couldn't share the tracks on it to the public in any way so unless another CD with the same two tracks on it surfaces it wont happen

kinda sad but oh well. at least the vinyls are still out there

Oh :wontcry_tears_crying_sad:

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Isla said:

Wait if you’re Melodi Brown Archive on YouTube, then I’ve seen everything you’ve uploaded. Thank you thank you :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

i am! right now i'm in contact with someone else on discogs (different person from who had the Mark Picchiotti CDs) who says he has the "Skin!" sampler and i'm hoping he'll send me lossless versions of everything on it. at the least i'm hoping i can get a full non-messed up copy of "Never Knew My Baby" since the only copy i do have has a really bad cutout like 30 seconds in and no matter what i do i can't get rid of it 🙁 oh also apparently "Never Knew My Baby" was intended for Whitney Houston at one point according to ascap's repertory. i wonder if she ever recorded a version...

i'm trying to get a hold of "spin that bottle" or "spin the bottle" or whatever it's called but it is so PAINFULLY slow because the one person i know has it seems to only be on the popjustice forums (which i don't have an account on + they don't allow new accounts to be made for some reason) so i have to ask some other guy to message them through email + the person i'm trying to talk to from the forums is really inactive on there anyway and i can't find another way to contact them😭

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, wrgrgwrgwrggwrwwrg said:

i am! right now i'm in contact with someone else on discogs (different person from who had the Mark Picchiotti CDs) who says he has the "Skin!" sampler and i'm hoping he'll send me lossless versions of everything on it. at the least i'm hoping i can get a full non-messed up copy of "Never Knew My Baby" since the only copy i do have has a really bad cutout like 30 seconds in and no matter what i do i can't get rid of it 🙁 oh also apparently "Never Knew My Baby" was intended for Whitney Houston at one point according to ascap's repertory. i wonder if she ever recorded a version...

i'm trying to get a hold of "spin that bottle" or "spin the bottle" or whatever it's called but it is so PAINFULLY slow because the one person i know has it seems to only be on the popjustice forums (which i don't have an account on + they don't allow new accounts to be made for some reason) so i have to ask some other guy to message them through email + the person i'm trying to talk to from the forums is really inactive on there anyway and i can't find another way to contact them😭

Oooh that sounds complicated! I hope you're able to get Spin That Bottle (I think it's that rather than Spin THE Bottle). Is there any chance you might be able to find DJ (the Jamelia song) as well? 

Also interesting about Never Knew My Baby. I know Tata Young recorded the song a few years after Melodi Brown did. I wasn't expecting it to have such a country influnced sound. Again thank you for your work and helping preserve Melodi Brown despite them never releasing anything! 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Isla said:

Oooh that sounds complicated! I hope you're able to get Spin That Bottle (I think it's that rather than Spin THE Bottle). Is there any chance you might be able to find DJ (the Jamelia song) as well? 

Also interesting about Never Knew My Baby. I know Tata Young recorded the song a few years after Melodi Brown did. I wasn't expecting it to have such a country influnced sound. Again thank you for your work and helping preserve Melodi Brown despite them never releasing anything! 

i could try but if it isn't on some CD then unfortunately it's probably out of my reach. i'm just a 15 year old messaging people in my free time to get whatever online, most of the stuff i've posted is because of elektricblue on PopJustice

i'm also really grateful that unreleased / underrated R&B grooves first posted the full version of "Naked" back in december because that song is what made me want to find everything else so far. they also uploaded a lot of the other remixes to Naked here:

also this is the video i had to download + split up to get the remixes onto the archive.org page + soundcloud since there was nowhere else i could find these

i found the tiktok page of one of the former members and i wanna get someone else to message her to see if she has anything left of the group like old CDs she doesn't wanna keep. i don't wanna do it myself because every time i've messaged someone else about this it ends up sounding really off and i don't wanna sound weird and scare her off 💀

as for the Mark Picchiotti remixes - i don't think the Dub mix on the CD will surface anytime soon because apparently the Dub on the vinyl and the CD are different, but again there's vinyls on eBay with the two other Mark Picchiotti remixes so i might be able to get them at some point and get a rip of it? maybe even higher quality versions of the other ones? though i don't have a great record player so it'd still probably be better if someone else did it

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, wrgrgwrgwrggwrwwrg said:

i could try but if it isn't on some CD then unfortunately it's probably out of my reach. i'm just a 15 year old messaging people in my free time to get whatever online, most of the stuff i've posted is because of elektricblue on PopJustice

i'm also really grateful that unreleased / underrated R&B grooves first posted the full version of "Naked" back in december because that song is what made me want to find everything else so far. they also uploaded a lot of the other remixes to Naked here:

also this is the video i had to download + split up to get the remixes onto the archive.org page + soundcloud since there was nowhere else i could find these

i found the tiktok page of one of the former members and i wanna get someone else to message her to see if she has anything left of the group like old CDs she doesn't wanna keep. i don't wanna do it myself because every time i've messaged someone else about this it ends up sounding really off and i don't wanna sound weird and scare her off 💀

as for the Mark Picchiotti remixes - i don't think the Dub mix on the CD will surface anytime soon because apparently the Dub on the vinyl and the CD are different, but again there's vinyls on eBay with the two other Mark Picchiotti remixes so i might be able to get them at some point and get a rip of it? maybe even higher quality versions of the other ones? though i don't have a great record player so it'd still probably be better if someone else did it

At least you're trying! Yeah you're probably right that if it's not on a CD it might not be possible. I do wonder where Spin That Bottle/DJ were confirmed, I know an old Popjustice article mentioned Melodi Brown originally recorded Do Somethin'. 

Also I remember an old thread on the Popjustice forum, where one user said he was in contact with one of the members and she promised to send him some promo CDs but she stopped replying to his messages lol

Edited by Isla
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Isla said:

At least you're trying! Yeah you're probably right that if it's not on a CD it might not be possible. I do wonder where Spin That Bottle/DJ were confirmed, I know an old Popjustice article mentioned Melodi Brown originally recorded Do Somethin'. 

Also I remember an old thread on the Popjustice forum, where one user said he was in contact with one of the members and she promised to send him some promo CDs but she stopped replying to his messages lol

iirc both were confirmed by really old PopJustice posts. this is one of the posts i was able to find which was just reposted from PopJustice to this other site for some reason: https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/1246804.html

there's a source link at the end but it doesn't lead to anything. i REALLY wish that hard drive didn't fail but it's probably long gone in a dumpster somewhere. this post keeps throwing me off though, there's a post on PopJustice saying "Naked" was meant to release on September 9th, 2002, which is really specific but this post which was apparently made way closer to when the song was meant to come out (2005 vs 2012), it says the song was meant to come out in 2003.

i need to know what this "london showcase" was exactly, i can't find any other info on it but i see it get mentioned over and over again just as a london showcase

24 minutes ago, wrgrgwrgwrggwrwwrg said:

iirc both were confirmed by really old PopJustice posts. this is one of the posts i was able to find which was just reposted from PopJustice to this other site for some reason: https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/1246804.html

there's a source link at the end but it doesn't lead to anything. i REALLY wish that hard drive didn't fail but it's probably long gone in a dumpster somewhere. this post keeps throwing me off though, there's a post on PopJustice saying "Naked" was meant to release on September 9th, 2002, which is really specific but this post which was apparently made way closer to when the song was meant to come out (2005 vs 2012), it says the song was meant to come out in 2003.

i need to know what this "london showcase" was exactly, i can't find any other info on it but i see it get mentioned over and over again just as a london showcase

Very random it was reposted on that website lol..... what hard drive do you refer to?

It's possible Naked may have been delayed to 2003. 9th September 2002 I assume was its original release date and apparently one of the members confirmed in an interview a while back the group were put on hold by their label Polydor due to Girls Aloud (who were not only on the same label as Melodi Brown, but had the same MANAGEMENT), if they were still active into 2003 and performed at a London Showcase that year there is a possibility Polydor hoped to release Naked in early 2003 after Girls Aloud released their debut single, but that's just speculation on my part. If that is the case, it probably got cancelled again. I know the UKMix forum has threads from the time of release schedules so maybe we could try and find one?

Also you'd be surprised how little info you could find on obscure pop acts from the time even with the internet being around in the early 2000s. They performed at a few roadshow events in 2002 as well but we also have no video evidence of this and I don't think I've seen pictures of the group performing at these events either, just a few professional photoshoot ones. 

Edited by Isla
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Isla said:

Very random it was reposted on that website lol..... what hard drive do you refer to?

It's possible Naked may have been delayed to 2003. 9th September 2002 I assume was its original release date and apparently one of the members confirmed in an interview a while back the group were put on hold by their label Polydor due to Girls Aloud (who were not only on the same label as Melodi Brown, but had the same MANAGEMENT), if they were still active into 2003 and performed at a London Showcase that year there is a possibility Polydor hoped to release Naked in early 2003 after Girls Aloud released their debut single, but that's just speculation on my part. If that is the case, it probably got cancelled again. I know the UKMix forum has threads from the time of release schedules so maybe we could try and find one?

Also you'd be surprised how little info you could find on obscure pop acts from the time even with the internet being around in the early 2000s. They performed at a few roadshow events in 2002 as well but we also have no video evidence of this and I don't think I've seen pictures of the group performing at these events either, just a few professional photoshoot ones. 

yeah.... it is kinda weird. i'm just referring to the hard drive that post is referring to since it said there was an interview with Melodi Brown or something like that

it probably was delayed and then scrapped, that'd actually explain it.  idk why that never occured to me before.

honestly it sucks that there's so little info but at the same time i'm glad there's any. i've seen some of the search for who wrote / sang TMMSOTI which is an even older song with less info (early 1980s or so) and from what i know the search for who made it is still on-going several years after the full song was found + even a higher quality version was posted and nothing. it makes me kinda sad thinking about all the good songs that we're missing out on because no one even really knows they exist.

also i searched Melodi Brown on soundexchange and it came up with a song named "Who's Fooling Who". all it says is that it was a "Non-album Track", was 3:15 in length, was made / released in 2002 and has an ISRC code of GBAKW0201202. the only other info on it i could find was from ascap and it says that it was written by Angela Hunte (who also wrote "Skin!" + two of the other songs I already got the snippets to), along with Korpi & Blackcell (Henrik Korpi and Mathias Johansson). 

so there's yet another song to look for. hoping it at least ended up as some other artists song like what happened with Tata Young and Jamelia but so far i can't find anything

i did more digging on discogs and went through some of the images which i hadn't yet - this came up on one of the promo CD pages. it's a letter that came with a promo CDr with 2 remixes of naked

https://www.discogs.com/release/9778136-Melodi-Brown-Naked/image/SW1hZ2U6MjY5Mzc0Nzc=

spacer.png

Are you ready for MELODI BROWN: four young Brits with voices like the soul girl groups of the Sixties, stunning looks like the supermodels of the Nineties (4 real - no lie!) and a style that is 100% now. If you need any more convincing just listen to (their) first single, the epic, bass booming "Naked." Note that (?) "Naked" isn't a song about getting nude, but is about opening up to someone and revealing yourself to them and feeling exposed as naked because you are showing them the inner you.

Kemi, Kelly Ann, Zahra and Stephanie, all aged between (???) and being from Wolverhampton, Birmingham, London and Ghana - are currently one of the most hot-tipped new artists in the UK music industry. They have already been described as "TLC meets Ozzy Osbourne" by Untold magazine.

Their unique style fusing R&B, rock, (?) and pop is one of the reasons they are exciting. "It's very different", says Kemi. "But we haven't gone too far off the rails. We're just doing what comes naturally to us. It's a fusion of everything we love.

On this CDR we present the Venus Tribe Mix and the Off Key Boot Mix (yes, it does use the beats from Dre's 2001 track "What's The Difference Between Me & You") which are both handled by Dodge.

Melodi Brown are currently in the studio putting the finishing touches to their debut album which will be released in early 2003.

Melodi Brown are gonna break and will hopefully break big, but alot of that relies on your support dear radio dj. Pls, do your best to find a place on your playlist for 1 of these 2 mixes. 

"NB. Look out for the Direct Demand tour bus, on the road with the girls w/b September 2."

i also found this snippet in an old issue of Music Week from July 27, 2002:

spacer.png

Murlyn Pulls Out Stops for Melodi Brown

Murlyn Music, the label set up by the Swedish production powerhouse of the same name, is set to launch the first artist this week through it's new deal with Polydor. UK girl group Melodi Brown - who are being pitched as En Vogue meets All Saints - will be unveiled at a media and retail showcase this Thursday (25) at London's Café Grand Prix. In addition, 22-year-old Ruby Amanfu is also poised to launch her solo career through the deal in the coming months.

they might've given some of the members different names. i think Ruby is meant to be Stephanie given how Stephanie is from Ghana (assuming the names and locations are in the right order). if they did come up with fake names for some of the members it would explain why i couldn't find info on some of the names other than Zahra Palmer

also should i make a separate thread for all this Melodi Brown stuff? i feel like i should but if i do idk where i would put it in

• Love 1
15 hours ago, wrgrgwrgwrggwrwwrg said:

i'm trying to get a hold of "spin that bottle" or "spin the bottle" or whatever it's called but it is so PAINFULLY slow because the one person i know has it seems to only be on the popjustice forums

14 hours ago, Isla said:

I do wonder where Spin That Bottle/DJ were confirmed, I know an old Popjustice article mentioned Melodi Brown originally recorded Do Somethin'

I honestly don't think they ever recorded it, while DJ had already been attached to them a year before Peter wrote about them, all subsequent mentions of them having recorded the song were made after the article was published and most likely refer to Spin the Record

https://popjustice2.proboards.com/post/227816

14 hours ago, wrgrgwrgwrggwrwwrg said:

i found the tiktok page of one of the former members and i wanna get someone else to message her to see if she has anything left of the group like old CDs she doesn't wanna keep. i don't wanna do it myself because every time i've messaged someone else about this it ends up sounding really off and i don't wanna sound weird and scare her off

Your safest bet would be to try and reach out to Zahra on either Facebook or Instagram

Out of all the girls she's been by far the most outspoken and shared the most information about the group

14 hours ago, wrgrgwrgwrggwrwwrg said:

About the London showcase, it was an event in which they performed in front of a bunch of Polydor / Universal executives and other industry people that took place on July 25, 2002

https://i.ibb.co/vjXFLH0/313371-149339028494080-768142380-n.png

https://i.ibb.co/NNkksYG/312945-149333005161349-1381232951-n.png

14 hours ago, Isla said:

It seems like Polydor had no idea how to market the song right from the start, they had two versions of the song ready to go:

The original written by Wayne Hector, later renamed the Bloodshy & Avant remix on promotional copies, and a "US version" based on that first iteration written by Michelle Bell but it seems like when it came time to shoot the video on May they settled on the US version for both markets for unknown reasons

They would later use a similar technique with Samantha Mumba's I'm Right Here which was released that year

https://i.ibb.co/mGvsvJR/R-2395762-1281615684.jpg

Once production wrapped, they performed on Mardi Gras and Party in the Park, while the video was put on rotation on The Box and the song started being played on radio (and according Zahra, even got placed on an episode of EastEnders!) with a September 9th release date being announced

https://www.ukmix.org/forum/music/the-vault/2000s/2754-melodi-brown-naked

https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-discussion/chart-analysis/2913-new-release-schedule

https://i.ibb.co/T1GXqkk/297862-149334088494574-601457013-n.jpg

Promotional samplers and 12-inch remix packages were pressed and sent to various publications including Smash Hits who featured them on their September issue despite being told by someone working for the magazine that they would never featured because they we're black

scan_bb417069-73d4-44af-9142-3c25aebbb1da_1200x1200.jpeg

https://i.ibb.co/hZJsnNX/304681-149333781827938-1101223659-n.jpg

A press release included on one of those samplers also stated that starting on September 2nd they would go on tour and that their album was slated for early 2003

https://i.ibb.co/r3dbz2M/R-9778136-1486379929-6772.jpg

September 9th came and went and the single was nowhere to be found and shortly thereafter word got out that both Naked and the album had been pushed back with a second release date for July 24th of next year being unofficially announced through Solar Creative's website

https://web.archive.org/web/20030420111040im_/http://www.solarcreative.co.uk/imagesn/art/cd_melo_ad.jpg

As we now know their management team started working for Girls Aloud as soon as they won Popstars: The Rivals so it seems plausible that, since the show started on October 12 2002, Polydor decided to shift gears and focus on getting a surefire Christmas number one that year

During the next month, they would keep performing and would even be featured on the cover of Hip Hop Connection magazine alongside Oxide & Neutrino but it was made clear to them that they didn't stand a chance and were unceremoniously dropped from Polydor sometime in early 2003 around the time Skin was originally set to release

https://www.ukmix.org/forum/music/the-vault/2000s/6217-melodi-brown

https://i.ibb.co/QdTmpKS/s-l1600.jpg

• Love 1
1 hour ago, wrgrgwrgwrggwrwwrg said:

they might've given some of the members different names. i think Ruby is meant to be Stephanie given how Stephanie is from Ghana (assuming the names and locations are in the right order). if they did come up with fake names for some of the members it would explain why i couldn't find info on some of the names other than Zahra Palmer

There seems to be some general confusion regarding their actual names as I think not even the girls themselves really knew each other's names

The names that appear on all promotional materials are Kemi, Kelly-Ann, Stephanie and Zahra but it seems like the only real names there are Kemi and Zahra's

Zahra has a photo with Kemi on Facebook where she refers to her as Kelly and Ama posted this on Instagram where she talks about how she recently met with the girl on the "top right" which would be Rae yet she mentions Kemi

Even on the picture of the London showcase I posted above the two girls starting from the left of the picture are simply refered to as Kelly and Kemi which would be impossible since right here we have Ama talking about Kemi

Considering how the group faced racism in the industry from the very beginning, I feel like they may have asked Ama and Rae to change their names to Kelly-Ann and Stephanie perhaps thinking they sounded more "white"

• Love 1

a lot of that explains things i was wondering about - why the remixes of "naked" have a lot of different lyrics, why i couldn't find anything with some of the names, and why there were so many different and conflicting dates that i kept coming across. ty for all the info

i was definitely wrong about the Ruby assumption. she looks a little bit like Rae did in that photo? but not really. i also ended up listening to a bit of her music after i posted that but she didn't sound like Rae

also "Spin That Bottle" being confused for "Spin The Record" is also fairly likely since they have similar names

does anyone know who the other girl is besides Ama, Rae and Zahra?

image.png

this one

• Love 1
12 hours ago, wrgrgwrgwrggwrwwrg said:

yeah.... it is kinda weird. i'm just referring to the hard drive that post is referring to since it said there was an interview with Melodi Brown or something like that

it probably was delayed and then scrapped, that'd actually explain it.  idk why that never occured to me before.

honestly it sucks that there's so little info but at the same time i'm glad there's any. i've seen some of the search for who wrote / sang TMMSOTI which is an even older song with less info (early 1980s or so) and from what i know the search for who made it is still on-going several years after the full song was found + even a higher quality version was posted and nothing. it makes me kinda sad thinking about all the good songs that we're missing out on because no one even really knows they exist.

also i searched Melodi Brown on soundexchange and it came up with a song named "Who's Fooling Who". all it says is that it was a "Non-album Track", was 3:15 in length, was made / released in 2002 and has an ISRC code of GBAKW0201202. the only other info on it i could find was from ascap and it says that it was written by Angela Hunte (who also wrote "Skin!" + two of the other songs I already got the snippets to), along with Korpi & Blackcell (Henrik Korpi and Mathias Johansson). 

so there's yet another song to look for. hoping it at least ended up as some other artists song like what happened with Tata Young and Jamelia but so far i can't find anything

If Who's Falling Who was labelled as a 'non-album track' it's possible it was meant to be a b-side, maybe to the Naked CD single? I can only find promos for that song on Discogs which just have the song and remixes, no b-sides. And is TMMSOTI that mystery 80s rock song that has no artist attached to it? Pretty sure there's a Wikipedia page for that song lol

6 hours ago, PlayboyMommy said:

I honestly don't think they ever recorded it, while DJ had already been attached to them a year before Peter wrote about them, all subsequent mentions of them having recorded the song were made after the article was published and most likely refer to Spin the Record

https://popjustice2.proboards.com/post/227816

Your safest bet would be to try and reach out to Zahra on either Facebook or Instagram

Out of all the girls she's been by far the most outspoken and shared the most information about the group

About the London showcase, it was an event in which they performed in front of a bunch of Polydor / Universal executives and other industry people that took place on July 25, 2002

https://i.ibb.co/vjXFLH0/313371-149339028494080-768142380-n.png

https://i.ibb.co/NNkksYG/312945-149333005161349-1381232951-n.png

It seems like Polydor had no idea how to market the song right from the start, they had two versions of the song ready to go:

The original written by Wayne Hector, later renamed the Bloodshy & Avant remix on promotional copies, and a "US version" based on that first iteration written by Michelle Bell but it seems like when it came time to shoot the video on May they settled on the US version for both markets for unknown reasons

They would later use a similar technique with Samantha Mumba's I'm Right Here which was released that year

https://i.ibb.co/mGvsvJR/R-2395762-1281615684.jpg

Once production wrapped, they performed on Mardi Gras and Party in the Park, while the video was put on rotation on The Box and the song started being played on radio (and according Zahra, even got placed on an episode of EastEnders!) with a September 9th release date being announced

https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-discussion/chart-analysis/2913-new-release-schedule

https://i.ibb.co/T1GXqkk/297862-149334088494574-601457013-n.jpg

Promotional samplers and 12-inch remix packages were pressed and sent to various publications including Smash Hits who featured them on their September issue despite being told by someone working for the magazine that they would never featured because they we're black

scan_bb417069-73d4-44af-9142-3c25aebbb1da_1200x1200.jpeg

https://i.ibb.co/hZJsnNX/304681-149333781827938-1101223659-n.jpg

A press release included on one of those samplers also stated that starting on September 2nd they would go on tour and that their album was slated for early 2003

https://i.ibb.co/r3dbz2M/R-9778136-1486379929-6772.jpg

September 9th came and went and the single was nowhere to be found and shortly thereafter word got out that both Naked and the album had been pushed back with a second release date for July 24th of next year being unofficially announced through Solar Creative's website

https://web.archive.org/web/20030420111040im_/http://www.solarcreative.co.uk/imagesn/art/cd_melo_ad.jpg

As we now know their management team started working for Girls Aloud as soon as they won Popstars: The Rivals so it seems plausible that, since the show started on October 12 2002, Polydor decided to shift gears and focus on getting a surefire Christmas number one that year

During the next month, they would keep performing and would even be featured on the cover of Hip Hop Connection magazine alongside Oxide & Neutrino but it was made clear to them that they didn't stand a chance and were unceremoniously dropped from Polydor sometime in early 2003 around the time Skin was originally set to release

https://www.ukmix.org/forum/music/the-vault/2000s/6217-melodi-brown

https://i.ibb.co/QdTmpKS/s-l1600.jpg

Thank you, this was so informative! I had no idea there was so many different versions of Naked as well... I guess the one from the video is the 'US Mix'? Were they gonna launch the song in the US at one point? And yeah honestly I'm not surprised you brought up Samantha Mumba as I'm Right Here was released around the same time (and was produced by Bloodshy & Avant too) and despite going top 10 in her native Ireland and the UK her second album never came out... I think I heard something bad happened behind the scenes. 

Yeah it seems Polydor did them dirty.... and July 2003 seems a bit late for a delayed single release imo.... way to kill any hype/momentum they may have already had.

8 hours ago, wrgrgwrgwrggwrwwrg said:

i did more digging on discogs and went through some of the images which i hadn't yet - this came up on one of the promo CD pages. it's a letter that came with a promo CDr with 2 remixes of naked

https://www.discogs.com/release/9778136-Melodi-Brown-Naked/image/SW1hZ2U6MjY5Mzc0Nzc=

spacer.png

Are you ready for MELODI BROWN: four young Brits with voices like the soul girl groups of the Sixties, stunning looks like the supermodels of the Nineties (4 real - no lie!) and a style that is 100% now. If you need any more convincing just listen to (their) first single, the epic, bass booming "Naked." Note that (?) "Naked" isn't a song about getting nude, but is about opening up to someone and revealing yourself to them and feeling exposed as naked because you are showing them the inner you.

Kemi, Kelly Ann, Zahra and Stephanie, all aged between (???) and being from Wolverhampton, Birmingham, London and Ghana - are currently one of the most hot-tipped new artists in the UK music industry. They have already been described as "TLC meets Ozzy Osbourne" by Untold magazine.

Their unique style fusing R&B, rock, (?) and pop is one of the reasons they are exciting. "It's very different", says Kemi. "But we haven't gone too far off the rails. We're just doing what comes naturally to us. It's a fusion of everything we love.

On this CDR we present the Venus Tribe Mix and the Off Key Boot Mix (yes, it does use the beats from Dre's 2001 track "What's The Difference Between Me & You") which are both handled by Dodge.

Melodi Brown are currently in the studio putting the finishing touches to their debut album which will be released in early 2003.

Melodi Brown are gonna break and will hopefully break big, but alot of that relies on your support dear radio dj. Pls, do your best to find a place on your playlist for 1 of these 2 mixes. 

"NB. Look out for the Direct Demand tour bus, on the road with the girls w/b September 2."

i also found this snippet in an old issue of Music Week from July 27, 2002:

spacer.png

Murlyn Pulls Out Stops for Melodi Brown

Murlyn Music, the label set up by the Swedish production powerhouse of the same name, is set to launch the first artist this week through it's new deal with Polydor. UK girl group Melodi Brown - who are being pitched as En Vogue meets All Saints - will be unveiled at a media and retail showcase this Thursday (25) at London's Café Grand Prix. In addition, 22-year-old Ruby Amanfu is also poised to launch her solo career through the deal in the coming months.

also should i make a separate thread for all this Melodi Brown stuff? i feel like i should but if i do idk where i would put it in

Ruby Amanfu if you mean is a soloist and wasn't involved with Melodi Brown. She was also signed to Polydor/the Murlyn deal at the time. She's still active as a musician. I think she provided backing vocals on some of the songs on Beyonce's Lemonade album. 

And yes a Melodi Brown thread would be much welcomed on here :)

• 2 weeks later...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block