This Day in Pop: Ariana Grande releases the ICONIC ‘7 rings’

3 years ago today on January 18th of 2018, pop princess Ariana Grande releases the #1 smash hit ‘7 rings’ and the world would never be the same. :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:

spacer.png

As the second single from her fifth studio album ‘thank u, next’, the track became the longest-running #1 hit of 2019 by a female artist topping the Billboard Hot 100 for eight weeks. The song reached #1 in 23 countries and broke the record in 2019 for biggest streaming debut. Not only did ‘7 rings’ break Spotify’s streaming record but she became the third female artist after Mariah Carey and Britney Spears to have multiple numbers ones on the Hot 100. It became the fifth best-selling song for 2019 worldwide and is considered one of the best-selling songs in digital history. Its accompanying music video, directed by Hannah Lux Davis, received critical acclaim and won Best Art Direction at the 2019 MTV Video Music Awards.

‘7 rings’ not only received rave reviews but it was also nominated for Record of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance at the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards, and was included in several year-end best-songs lists of 2019.

Some notable performances:

• Love 5

Listen, I love Ariana, but let’s be real, she’s lost as an artist. The fact that “7 rings” is the biggest hit of her career :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what: She has no timeless hit that she can sing for the rest of her life, she has no true artistry. And her music is only getting worse (I mean, just listen to the Positions album).

Hopefully the next album is amazing and classic, but I’m not hopeful. She’s been around nicki too much…and we see after 13 years Nicki still doesn’t have one classic/timeless hip hop song (and don’t mention super bass…that song is POP). 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, gapeach704 said:

Listen, I love Ariana, but let’s be real, she’s lost as an artist. The fact that “7 rings” is the biggest hit of her career :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what: She has no timeless hit that she can sing for the rest of her life, she has no true artistry. And her music is only getting worse (I mean, just listen to the Positions album).

Hopefully the next album is amazing and classic, but I’m not hopeful. She’s been around nicki too much…and we see after 13 years Nicki still doesn’t have one classic/timeless hip hop song (and don’t mention super bass…that song is POP). 

Yawn, this argument is so tired, an exceptionally very bad take and quite frankly, makes zero sense. ‘thank u, next’ as an album is a timeless body of work and one of the best and most cohesive pop albums released last decade. The state of pop music has evolved from what it was 10 or 20 years ago. Not every song has to have a loud hook like how it was in the 2000s and early 2010s for it to be considered ‘timeless’. There’s a reason why it’s her biggest hit and as it should. The song is very moody and playful. Not to mention, it received rave reviews and ended up on many year-end lists. Like you either get the vibe or you don’t…and you clearly don’t because here you are discrediting everything from her artistry to her catalogue. Not to mention, she has many timeless hits, tf? Just because YOU don’t like them or see it that way doesn’t make it true. You have to understand Ariana as a person to understand her artistry. She has never been the in-your-face type of pop star but rather more shy and timid. She is a perfectionist when it comes to her craft and making sure the sound is right. Most pop artists following Ariana’s debut have also followed pursuit. Last, not you unnecessarily dragging Nicki into this…and for what? To claim she doesn’t have a classic/timeless hip-hop yet? Oh wow. I wasn’t aware that ‘Moment 4 Life’, ‘Monster’, ‘BedRock’, ‘Bottoms Up’, ‘My Chick Bad’ weren’t timeless with iconic Nicki lines that still turn the clubs up today. Literally Nicki’s verse in ‘Monster’ is known for being one of the most iconic verses in hip-hop history. THE DELUSION. Matter of fact, Kanye had second thoughts on releasing the song because he knew she single-handedly outrapped Rick Ross, himself and literal king of rap JAY Z. I’m barely even a Nicki fan but clearly you know nothing about hip-hop. @Style. Like…I don’t mean to come off this way but know what you’re saying and your place before you post some utter nonsense. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Yawn, this argument is so tired, an exceptionally very bad take and quite frankly, makes zero sense. ‘thank u, next’ as an album is a timeless body of work and one of the best and most cohesive pop albums released last decade. The state of pop music has evolved from what it was 10 or 20 years ago. Not every song has to have a loud hook like how it was in the 2000s and early 2010s for it to be considered ‘timeless’. There’s a reason why it’s her biggest hit and as it should. The song is very moody and playful. Not to mention, it received rave reviews and ended up on many year-end lists. Like you either get the vibe or you don’t…and you clearly don’t because here you are discrediting everything from her artistry to her catalogue. Not to mention, she has many timeless hits, tf? Just because YOU don’t like them or see it that way doesn’t make it true. You have to understand Ariana as a person to understand her artistry. She has never been the in-your-face type of pop star but rather more shy and timid. She is a perfectionist when it comes to her craft and making sure the sound is right. Most pop artists following Ariana’s debut have also followed pursuit. Last, not you unnecessarily dragging Nicki into this…and for what? To claim she doesn’t have a classic/timeless hip-hop yet? Oh wow. I wasn’t aware that ‘Moment 4 Life’, ‘Monster’, ‘BedRock’, ‘Bottoms Up’, ‘My Chick Bad’ weren’t timeless with iconic Nicki lines that still turn the clubs up today. Literally Nicki’s verse in ‘Monster’ is known for being one of the most iconic verses in hip-hop history. THE DELUSION. Matter of fact, Kanye had second thoughts on releasing the song because he knew she single-handedly outrapped Rick Ross, himself and literal king of rap JAY Z. I’m barely even a Nicki fan but clearly you know nothing about hip-hop. @Style. Like…I don’t mean to come off this way but know what you’re saying and your place before you post some utter nonsense. 

You think Ariana will be 70 years old accepting her lifetime achievement award and singing “thank u next” or “7 rings”?? You think thank u next is her magnum opus? 
Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF k.

And I brought Nicki up for comparative purpose. She’s another artist that is 10+ years without a classic hit. Same with Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus. As much as I hate Camila Cabello, she at least has a timeless hit that she can perform until she’s 70. You’re dismissed 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, MikeHunt said:

Ariana was obviously inspired by Jessica Simpson, when she decided to go more r&b/hip hop with her sound.

Can’t wait for Jessica’s Las Vegas residency. Her residency should be called “I still don’t know if chicken of the sea is really chicken, but here is me singing some songs that flopped back in the early 00’s”.

:makeup_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao: Ashlee is the only Simpson we stan

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

That’s Digni I pray to come back ❤️ Don’t worry about @gapeach704, he’s been known as a less-fortunate people on here for obvious reasons. :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink: Just don’t give his two seconds of fame... Meanwhile Onika remains beautiful and the queen of rap! :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:
#ToothlessBirdsGANG :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Henry M. Torres said:

Write at least ONE not-delusional-post babe :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

Ariana Grande is the only female artist that debuted in the 2010s who deserves the title ‘pop princess.’ Every major music publication site and magazine refers her to that anyway so go and argue with the wall if you disagree. At least you tried to be funny. :awww_sarcastic_pout_britney_2006ney_idc_poor:

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Ariana Grande is the only female artist that debuted in the 2010s who deserves the title ‘pop princess.’ Every major music publication site and magazine refers her to that anyway so go and argue with the wall if you disagree. At least you tried to be funny. :awww_sarcastic_pout_britney_2006ney_idc_poor:

LMAOOO Britney is the only princess of pop, Ariana's career is literally trash, no even close to Britney's level :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Those magazines are clearly only for promotion reasons :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block