Xtina: Stripped 2002-2003

P!nk: I'm Not Dead 2006

Mariah: Daydream 1995-1996 and Emancipation 2005

Beyonce: I Am Sasha Fierce 2008-2010

Kylie: Fever 2000

Lana Del Rey: Paradise 2012

Ariana: thank u, next 2018-2019

• Like 1

Britney Spears: I think her peak was 'Britney', even when the numbers didn't really were her friends, looking back it looks like it is her peak

Lady Gaga: Her debut era was her peak :ehidk_britney_um_eek: I want to say others, but it looks like she was 'fresh' and cool during all of that era

Girls' Generation: The Boys :wontcry_tears_crying_sad: to think that various artists started to push backs their cbs because they set the date for that week is just iconic behaviour

BLACKPINK: THE ALBUM :wigsnatched_point_you_wow_yes_yas: even though DDDD was pretty huge (or even more)

Katy Perry: :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching: I mean, it was Teenage Dream, and it was such a big peak that ofc everything after that will look "bad"

idk about more people because idk :emma: 

It’s a bit hard to categorise them as artists’ can have more than one peak. Sometimes it’s a peak in album sales, other times is how many singles reached the top 10 from a certain era.

Femme Fatale album sales for example paled in comparison to Britney’s earlier albums in one hand. On the other hand, it scored the highest number of hits. There are so many changing pieces in the industry for anyone to make a claim about what was successful and what wasn’t. But I agree to what the others posted; I would rate Britney as her most successful era all around. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
On 1/3/2022 at 6:11 AM, BoyDeChanel said:

P!nk: I'm Not Dead 2006

Strongly disagree. "I'm not Dead" is my favorite P!nk album but this was also her make it or break it album/ sell out poser album that set the path for the rest of her generic career. 

It is the album that saved her after the ,too experimental, "Try This" album flopped.  However, it is not close to her peak. "I'm not Dead" is P!nk peaking out the shadows, wearing a trendy dress, after being humiliated for looking like a clown. :clownery_makeup_meme:

• Haha 1

Madonna had 3 major career peaks imo with True Blue, Ray of Light and Confessions. I'll even argue that Sticky and Sweet tour was a major peak for her, it is one of the highest grossing tours after all

Britney had a long peak i would say starting with Oops and ending with Toxic.  

Lady Gaga was def The Fame and The Fame Monster 

Katy Perry was Teenage Dream 

Ariana was definitely Thank U, Next 

Rihanna is kinda hard to define cause her singles were so huge but the ones most remembered were from her Good Girl Gone Bad era 

• Love 1
  • Like 2
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Britney Spears : 2000-2002… Oops AND Britney era.

• Perfect dancing with her most polished tours

• Oops!… first week sales were 1,319,000. This was a 15 year long record for highest first week sales from any artist. 

• Iconic, unavoidable ad campaigns with “Got Milk?” And “Joy of Pepsi”

• Peak iconic fashion moments… with Slave 4 U VMA outfit being her most recreated look to date

• Houses most of her best music videos; Oops, Lucky, Slave, Not A Girl, and Overprotected Darkchild Remix.

Lady Gaga : 2009-2011… The Fame Monster.

• Riding off success of The Fame

• Has the hardest dancing of her career 

• Most memorable and polished looks

• Bad Romance is her biggest hit, 11x platinum.

• won lots of awards: 5 Grammys in a 2 year span.

Katy Perry : 2010-2011… Teenage Dream.

• Pretty much every song on album charted in some way

•9X platinum

• Still charts on iTunes

• high budget/iconic music videos

• one of the most memorable personas in pop music history

• very successful tour. 

Madonna : 1990-1991…The Immaculate Collection era.

• Vogue being one of her most successful songs

• The Immaculate Collection being her most successful release ever, with over 30,000,000 sales

• The hugely successful Blonde Ambition Tour, which led to Truth or Dare. At the time, this was the most watched documentary ever

• This era holds her most recognizable and recreated look, the blonde ponytail and cone bra 

Britney- OIDIA era

Katy- PRISM era

Madonna- True Blue era

Whitney Houston- Bodyguard era (early 90s basically)

Mariah Carey- Daydream (1995)

Celine Dion- 1996-1997: Falling Into You- Titanic era

Lady Gaga- TFM era (2009-2010)

Billie- WWAFAWDWG? era (2019-2020)

Ariana- TU,N era

Selena- Revival era

Justin Bieber- Purpose era

Michael Jackson- Thriller era

Justin Timberlake- Can't Stop The Feeling era

Beatles- Abbey Road era

Ed Sheeran- Divide era

What a fun topic! So my thought first off, there's a peak for every artist. A time when each artist has a PEAK, but there's also a resurgence era or two for a lot of iconic artists... 

MADONNA – The Queen, The Icon. The best advocate and champion the LGBTQ+ community has ever had. M's peak in my opinion wouldn't come until 1998's 'Ray of Light', though she RULED the dance floors throughout the 80's, locked in consistent #1's, and pushed boundaries with drops like 'Erotica' and her s** book. For me, 'ROL' was the album where she re-invented herself artistically. It was age appropriate, it was next level, it was fresh. Critics hailed her, fans worshiped her. M dipped in popularity through the early 2000s a bit, though personally 'Music' is in my M Top 5 albums, but had a major resurgence in 2005 with 'Confessions'. That album was a throwback, yet so fresh, and it pulled back old fans while bringing in the younger generation. The 'Confessions' Tour, second to Blonde Ambition, is one of her absolute best. For me, though 'MDNA' is also in my top 5, M dipped drastically out of the spotlight after 2005, and she hasn't had another big resurgence in mainstream music since. That being said, her tours have been consistently sold out due to a loyal, life-long following. 

JANET – For me, one of the most criminally underrated artists of all time is Janet Jackson. Janet was on top of the world (peak) from 'Control' in 1986 to 'Velvet Rope' in 1997. Her choreography, artistic creativity, and pulsing r&b are ICONIC, and she's influenced generations of performers since. For me, 2001's 'All 4 You' is also one of her finest moments, but it's where we last saw her on top. The bull**** Super Bowl debacle really hampered her career for a few years, and in my opinion (though Discipline was flawless) we never saw a major resurgence from Janet. She is one of the icons I'm most hopeful will have a big comeback and another iconic peak. 

BRITNEY – Riding hot off the heels of Janet and Madonna's peaks, Britney ruled the world from 1998-2003. Though 'Baby' and 'Oops' were iconic, for me it's her 'Britney' era that our Queen B really flew her highest. Once 'I'm a Slave 4 U' dropped, all bets were off. The fashion, the videos, the Dream Within a Dream Tour, the VMAs.... all iconic. While 2007's 'Blackout' remains (in my humble opinion) some of Brit's finest work, and the Circus Tour is my favorite of her tours (fight me), for me I  think I  Brit's PEAK resurgence came in 2016-2018. 'Piece of Me' was at its finest rhythm, she was on top of Vegas, 'Glory' was critically hailed, she was performing on TV again, and POM the tour sold out around the globe. This peak culminated in Brit's passion finally driving her to speak up for herself in court, bolstered by the support of one of the most loyal fanbases of all time, and freeing herself from the chains that have bound her personally and professionally for 13 years. Can Britney have another resurgence? A third peak? I  definitely think she has it in her... but I  could just as easily see her pulling a Janet, and drifting out of the spotlight, living her life on her own terms. Time will tell. 

CHRISTINA AGUILERA – Perhaps one of the most iconic voices of our generation, and one of my biggest disappointments at the same time. Christina's peak was hands down her 'Stripped' era, though I'm obsessed with her 'Back To Basics' era, and slightly prefer it. What kills me with X is that she has the voice to do whatever she wants, and yet she hasn't found the way to connect with the masses since 2003. I'm not sure we've seen a real resurgence yet from Christina, though I'm 10,000% here for that moment. 

KATY PERRY – Riding out of the mid 2000's pop / urban conversion comes pop / rock Katy. 'One of the Boys' is absolutely one of my favorite albums of the 2000's, period. Katy's peak would obviously come next with 'Teenage Dream'. There's no denying Katy was on top of the world from 2010-2014, following the release of 'Prism' and the massively successful Prismatic Tour. Personally, I  think Katy's been in her lull state ever since. Unpopular opinion, I  think 'Witness' was phenomenal. I  enjoyed it, and I LOVED the tour. I  think Katy can absolutely re-invent herself, and I   don't think we've seen the end of her yet... just a hunch. 

RIHANNA – For me, Rihanna takes the crown as the most OVER-RATED artist of the 2000s, fight me on this. For me, her peak was the 'Loud' and 'Talk That Talk' eras back to back, where it was just RIHANNA everywhere you turned your eyes or ears. My problem with Rihanna, is I never felt the artistic side of her. I  just felt like she was a hitmaker, riding from producer to producer. I   didn't feel the song writing, I  never saw the ability to sit down and play a song, or connect... it was just a party vibe for me. I  think there were artists like Ciara, with spades more talent, that flew under the radar so Rihanna could top the charts. 

LADY GAGA – Gaga is for me one of the best things to come out of the 2000s. She hit a fast peak, straight into the pop stratosphere with 'The Fame', 'Fame Monster' and her ultimate peak in 'Born This Way'. 'BTW' is absolutely iconic, and not since Madonna has there been an artist with such a striking artistry and boundary pushing ability that will go down in the books. I personally don't think Gaga has dropped from her peak. She's moved into Jazz, acting and soundtracking Hollywood's biggest films. While 'Chromatica' might not have been as iconic as her previous work, I  think Gaga could easily see another pop resurgence, and that album only reminded us of her pop roots and ability. I'm beyond curious to see what she'll do next. 

TAYLOR SWIFT – There's no peak. Taylor Swift has been at her peak since 2008. I  mean, ok, her crossover with RED and then 1989 back to back would probably be the peak, but then she saw another major resurgence in 2020 with 'Folklore', once again re-inventing her sound and hopping into a new genre. I  KNOW we're not done seeing Taylor Swift peak just yet. 

JENNIFER LOPEZ – ok, It's Jennifer Lopez, I  know... after my Rihanna comments I   can't make ground for Jenny. 😂 BUT ... 'J.Lo' .... mic drop. Just, mic drop. "Play my mother ****ing song!".... iconic. 

BEYONCE – I  think the award for most polarizing artist goes to Beyonce. Bey has had her share of media ups and downs, especially challenging her artistic credit and ability after '4' was dropped in 2011. BUT, despite all the early success she had in her career, not just with Destiny's Child (shout out to Survivor, it's my jam), but also her debut, and 'B Day' ... or even 'Sasha Fierce', it was her 'Beyonce' era, leading into 'Lemonade' that did if for me. THOSE are her peak. Beyonce really took the moment to say "F you for thinking you know my art, my relationship or my life", and dropped two back to back albums that were so unique, so culturally specific, so groundbreaking.... she definitely deserves the credit for that peak. 

Celine Dion – Falling Into You, Let's Talk About Love, TITANIC... that late 90's Celine slays. 

Cher – Multiple peaks / resurgence, but my favorite is and will always be 'Believe'. 

I'm losing my brain, and nobody's reading anymore.... soooo... 😂

• Love 1

What about Shakira? 
Usa: (2001-2006)
Latin America and rest of the world (1995- today)

She's definitely still very popular and relevant in many countries, her songs and videos always have millions of plays, she is part of the select group of billions club on youtube, she still moves her hips like nobody else ...and she still looks so young and beatiful:shaktongue_shakira_red:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.