Shawn Mendes on Camila's look: it's giving Cher

• Super Mods
7 hours ago, cillaward said:

A lot of gay men do things as children that are considered to be 'feminine' and get negative reactions from other people. It can cause them to 'de-feminize' growing up and can even lead to internalized homophobia/hetero***ism and a worshipping of masculinity within the gay community. It's been linked to prejudice from gay men against guys showing any form of femininity.

I just find it interesting how guys (gay, bi***ual or straight) can't go against the masculine stereotype without everyone labelling them a certain way (closeted, power bottom, 'pillow princess') or forcing them to 'come out'. Some of the comments here are very similar to what a lot of us experienced as teenagers from our straight peers. Ironically, this could just be Shawn being his true authentic self and instead of embracing it, we're trying to force him into a box that I'm sure we've all been forced into ourselves.

I wasn't trying to start a massive debate or cause offense, I actually just find it interesting. 

Also for the people calling me a 'woke' Gen Z...I'm 27. None of this is even new information, it dates back decades.

I appreciate your explanation and perspective on this! I’m going to make a blanket statement, which is that I think most gay men (maybe most LGBTQ people) have dealt with internalized homophobia at some point in their lives. And deconstructing that takes time and intention. There are definitely people farther along in that journey, and others who for whatever reason have not even begun to do so. I do think maybe some comments directed at Shawn Mendes are linked to internalized homophobia, but not all.

Shawn appears very comfortable in his hetero***uality. He has claimed and proclaimed time and again that he is straight, has a girlfriend, sings about hetero***ual love interests, and has most likely gone through 95% of his life without having to defend his hetero***uality. Given this, then, why does it matter that people make jokes or point out things Shawn does as “gay”? These comments should really be considered insignificant, since they obviously don’t change the fact Shawn is a straight man.

Him saying “It’s giving Cher” literally sounds like any gay man at a gay bar on a given night. And there’s nothing wrong with that, because Shawn is comfortable in his ***uality, and there is nothing wrong in calling the way he delivered that line gay… since there is nothing wrong with being gay! :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

I guess it makes me wonder if he does these things (subconsciously or not) to bring attention to himself? He knows there are gay people out there that are convinced he’s gay, but his little hetero***ual self just keeps doing them anyway. It just comes off as annoying, tbh.

He gets annoyed by people questioning his ***uality, and gets bothered by people questioning his expressions or looks or whatever… and it’s all the gays fault? :mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure: Make it make sense. :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:

• Like 1
17 hours ago, cillaward said:

A lot of gay men do things as children that are considered to be 'feminine' and get negative reactions from other people. It can cause them to 'de-feminize' growing up and can even lead to internalized homophobia/hetero***ism and a worshipping of masculinity within the gay community. It's been linked to prejudice from gay men against guys showing any form of femininity.

I just find it interesting how guys (gay, bi***ual or straight) can't go against the masculine stereotype without everyone labelling them a certain way (closeted, power bottom, 'pillow princess') or forcing them to 'come out'. Some of the comments here are very similar to what a lot of us experienced as teenagers from our straight peers. Ironically, this could just be Shawn being his true authentic self and instead of embracing it, we're trying to force him into a box that I'm sure we've all been forced into ourselves.

I wasn't trying to start a massive debate or cause offense, I actually just find it interesting. 

Also for the people calling me a 'woke' Gen Z...I'm 27. None of this is even new information, it dates back decades.

Sis you’re doing the most 😂😂 sometimes people just act in such a way that others would assume they are gay. Calm down. Not everything is a crisis girl

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block