Confused: Normani Never Asked for Clearance of the Aaliyah Sample in "Wild Side"?

Normani and Cardi B Take a Walk On the 'Wild Side'

Normani paid tribute to Aaliyah’s legacy with the release of her Cardi B assisted single, “Wild Side” and the late singer’s uncle approves of it. Barry Hankerson tells TMZ that his beloved niece “always encouraged young women pursuing their musical and entertainment careers, to achieve their dreams.” Hankerson is the founder of Blackground Records and the man to question the availability of Babygirl’s music catalog on streaming services. He added, “I believe that Aaliyah would be very supportive of a young Black woman that chose to emulate her music and style.”

Barry did add that it would’ve been “more honorable” if Normani cleared the sample for “One In a Million” but he seemingly approves of it.

“I will not stand in the way of something that brings to light the incredible staying power of Aaliyah. So in that light, wishing Normani well with the song and overall career. God bless. I think Aaliyah would be pleased.”

An attorney for Blackground did confirm that Normani didn’t clear the sample but it’s good to know that Aaliyah’s uncle approves and so does the original producer, Timbaland, who posted a reaction video praising the record.

I love Normani, but not asking the family & producer of a famous late singer's song is in bad form. I'm happy they are okay with it, but she did Team Aaliyah dirty-no respect. BUT also, it makes me wonder if she never even knew it was an Aaliyah sample on the track, hence making her a fake fan. 

Now I'm curious if they sue her for copyright or what? Anyways, stream and support our fave Fifth Harmony member, Normani!

“Team Aaliyah” deserves NO respect.

Barry Hankerson decided to appear out of nowhere NOW but he’s been hiding for decades and hiding his niece’s music with him. He’s a greedy motherf-u-cker and it’s because of him that newer generations can’t listen to Aaliyah on streaming platforms. He’s so full of sheet. If he hasn’t sued Normani it’s probably because he’s broke af after selling the distribution rights of her music for dirt cheap to who knows who and wasted it all on who knows what… And let’s not start with why Aaliyah is not here with us…

Props to Normani for paying homage to Aaliyah without going through this monster first. I feel like she knows what’s up and she did it this way for a reason.

• Love 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block