Taylor Swift to receive the Global Icon award at the BRITs

Taylor Swift has been announced as the recipient of the Global Icon Award at the BRIT awards this Tuesday, May 11. She will be the fourth artist to receive the prestigious award and the first female artist to be given the honor.

She will join the ranks of other artists such as Elton John and David Bowie. 

Billboard

Spoiler

Sorry guys. For whatever reason, it’s not embedding the link properly anymore for me.

Taylor.JPG.b2d11e6594f0dda6d2c000f2faf96e1e.JPG

Edited by Midnight
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

How does she get this before a MJ (8 no. 1's), Whitney (4 no. 1's), Madonna (13 no. 1's), Kylie (7 no. 1's), Britney (6 no. 1's), Beyonce (5 no. 1's)? I thought the UK had higher standards for Pop artists? She only has ONE number one single there... :umsaywhat_adele_hmm_umm_thinking_confused_unsure:

She pays them obviously

• Love 1
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

How does she get this before a MJ (8 no. 1's), Whitney (4 no. 1's), Madonna (13 no. 1's), Kylie (7 no. 1's), Britney (6 no. 1's), Beyonce (5 no. 1's)? I thought the UK had higher standards for Pop artists? She only has ONE number one single there... :umsaywhat_adele_hmm_umm_thinking_confused_unsure:

That's a good point. I suppose it's because of Folklore/Evermore/Fearless and also that she's re-recording her music. 

Here's the BRITs reasoning:

She has been recognised for “her immense impact on music across the world and incredible repertoire and achievements to date”, according to the organisers of the awards.

“Taylor’s career is unparalleled and her music and influence has resonated with millions of people all over the world,” the Brit award statement said.

“She’s used her platform to highlight many issues globally and recently has been applauded for her work promoting acceptance of the LGBTQ community.”

I find it weird because all artists you've mentioned have contributed a lot more to the music world and especially the LGBTQ community lol

I think the Global Icon Award is relatively new (2013/2014?), so I suppose it's about timing and contemporary success. Idk, just trying to find a reason for the award

• Love 3
4 hours ago, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

she has seven no.1 albums though!!

Also I thought Pink got this award in 2019 so wouldn’t Taylor be the second female to get it?

EDIT: Okay I just checked, apparently Pink didn’t receive the award, not sure why I thought she did. 

Edited by Isla
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Isla said:

she has seven no.1 albums though!!

Also I thought Pink got this award in 2019 so wouldn’t Taylor be the second female to get it?

EDIT: Okay I just checked, apparently Pink didn’t receive the award, not sure why I thought she did. 

You're not entirely wrong, though. It's just an award with a different name - Outstanding Contribution to Music Award :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

Other previous winners of the prize include Sir Elton John, the Spice Girls and the late David Bowie

I feel like there's an award for everything these days. Some even share the same purpose, just with a different name :orangu_orangutan_ape:

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Geralt_of_Rivia said:

You're not entirely wrong, though. It's just an award with a different name - Outstanding Contribution to Music Award :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

I feel like there's an award for everything these days. Some even share the same purpose, just with a different name :orangu_orangutan_ape:

Oh wait she won Outstanding Contribution? Dddd is there even any difference

• Haha 2

She sold 114 M albums. That's not a lot actually. Since she releases 1 standard, 1 deluxe and 1 vinyl and sometimes more editions.
Other female singers would have the same amount if they released their albums in more formats.
Folklore had 8 albums and 8 vinyls while example given Beyonce only had 1 album, 1 Vinyl and 1 Book for Lemonade.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Erm...I don't know what to say about this one...I mean, there is no denial that she is the most globally recognized popstar since Lady Gaga however why does the Brit awards even have a thing like that? I mean, UK is the 3rd Biggest market in the world, so I do not know how valuable her global icon award would be :receipts2_britney_um_browsing_browse: Also, her getting the award before Michael Jackson, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Britney etc is even more weird. Plus, is she even that popular in the UK? She has like 1 #1 single, and none of her albums since 1989 have crossed beyond 500k sales in the UK. Regardless, this is a milestone in not only her career, but for the female pop game as well. So proud and happy for her :clap_clapping_britney_xfactor_red_excited_yay_cheer:

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block