Apple Music pays around 1 cent per stream, Spotify half-a-cent

On 4/19/2021 at 8:17 PM, merci12 said:

Folklore was streamed 80million times on Spotify in first 24hrs. 

She made $6.4million ? :receipts2_britney_um_browsing_browse:

Huh? No... a cent is worth 0.01 so 0.01 x 80,000,000 is equal to 800k dollars, chile. However, this is still a huge figure over half a million. For streaming giants like her, they make money like that easily. 

26 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Huh? No... a cent is worth 0.01 so 0.01 x 80,000,000 is equal to 800k dollars, chile. However, this is still a huge figure over half a million. For streaming giants like her, they make money like that easily. 

Spotify pays half a cent per stream. so it's 0.005 and then there's 16 songs on the album x 80million streams. that's $6.4million....right?  :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

44 minutes ago, merci12 said:

Spotify pays half a cent per stream. so it's 0.005 and then there's 16 songs on the album x 80million streams. that's $6.4million....right?  :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

Wait, no. These 16 tracks altogether have generated 80 million streams for the Folklore album. So if it is 0.005, then $0.005 x 80,000,000 streams is then equal to $400,000. Thus, Taylor receives that much money from the first day streams of Folklore. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Wait, no. These 16 tracks altogether have generated 80 million streams for the Folklore album. So if it is 0.005, then $0.005 x 80,000,000 streams is then equal to $400,000. Thus, Taylor receives that much money from the first day streams of Folklore. 

Not only Taylor. Even though she writes her own music, surely has a lot of producing contribution and a beneficial deal with Republic Records she has to share this money with co-creators of the album and the songs as well as with the label which invest money in promoting it. I think that it is save to say that she gets 40 - 50% of the money her recent music earns

• Love 1
  • Like 2
On 4/19/2021 at 9:00 AM, BUWYGF said:

if they're super big e.g. britney, beyonce, taylor, ariana, they still get millions from streaming. They just get less millions than before, so I fail to feel sorry for them im sorry.

If its emerging or indie artists, then yes, im sorry for them and they need to earn more for their artistry :canthandleit_cry_katy_sob_sad_tears:

On 4/19/2021 at 9:39 AM, IForgotYouExisted said:

I mean bigger artists like Britney still make big bucks with this, it are the less known artists that suffer from this.

But to be honest, paying the artist more would result in a price change to their subscribers. I already pay 15€ a month so I can share it with my brother. Imagine having to pay 30€ a month do that artists get paid more. I know a LOT of users wouldn't continue their subscription and free users take more streams to count as a record being sold compared to premium users.

Per example;

Spotify free users have to stream a whopping 600 times in order to have it count as 1 sale. Whereas premium users have to stream it only 100 times.*approx.

Anyway, artists make their money mostly of commercial deals such as fragrance/beauty lines, advertising products and touring. They shouldn't need streaming to live.

Britney could EASILY live off her fragrance line alone.

People forget, you also get royalties for songs just from your vocals, as Femme Fatale songwriter Heather Bright pointed out last month; its not just songwriting royalties.

So because of the many hit songs Britney has put out that continue to be popular- it obviously accumulates; she continues to make great money when she's not working, mathematically speaking.

On 4/19/2021 at 8:52 PM, iAlwaysSingLive said:

I wouldn't mind a price increase, tbh. Paying 7 euros a month for an unlimited library of music is absolutely ridiculous if you think about it. It costs more to buy one album. Obviously, you don't end up owning any of the music, but it's still dirt cheap. :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what: Lily Allen has been teasing #LA5 for a while, but she revealed that she probably won't release it until the pandemic is over because she wants to actually make money from her music. I'd be mad because I'm impatient AF, but I totally get it. Touring is where the money is at. :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

And we totally get that. A shame, can’t wait for LA5!

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.