Apple Music pays around 1 cent per stream, Spotify half-a-cent

• Leader

Apple Music pays out around a cent per stream, according to a new report from The Verge. Their competitor, Spotify, pays out a half-a-cent or sometimes one-third. 

Spotify hates talking about per stream items because they feel like it's misleading. Spotify and Apple Music's business models are different as well. Spotify offers an ad-supported version while Apple Music is subscription only.

Spotify has 345 million total users, of which 155 million are paying Spotify Premium customers. Apple has “more than 60 million subscribers” as of June 2019, and more recent estimates have it at 72 million.

Basically what you should take away from this? Most artists can't make a living on streams alone.

I wonder how artist are doing considering they couldn't tour this past year. 

Thoughts, Exhale?spotify-apple.jpg.a53cf2866c7a8af7f64ceda81aac978e.jpg Is a cent per stream lower than yu thought? 

3 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

Apple Music pays out around a cent per stream, according to a new report from The Verge. Their competitor, Spotify, pays out a half-a-cent or sometimes one-third. 

Spotify hates talking about per stream items because they feel like it's misleading. Spotify and Apple Music's business models are different as well. Spotify offers an ad-supported version while Apple Music is subscription only.

Spotify has 345 million total users, of which 155 million are paying Spotify Premium customers. Apple has “more than 60 million subscribers” as of June 2019, and more recent estimates have it at 72 million.

Basically what you should take away from this? Most artists can't make a living on streams alone.

Thoughts, Exhale?spotify-apple.jpg.a53cf2866c7a8af7f64ceda81aac978e.jpg

They should get regular jobs. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 5
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, BUWYGF said:

if they're super big e.g. britney, beyonce, taylor, ariana, they still get millions from streaming. They just get less millions than before, so I fail to feel sorry for them im sorry.

If its emerging or indie artists, then yes, im sorry for them and they need to earn more for their artistry :canthandleit_cry_katy_sob_sad_tears:

Exactly what I was about to post. I feel bad for unknown artists. But popular artists are still making millions. 

• Love 3

I mean bigger artists like Britney still make big bucks with this, it are the less known artists that suffer from this.

But to be honest, paying the artist more would result in a price change to their subscribers. I already pay 15€ a month so I can share it with my brother. Imagine having to pay 30€ a month do that artists get paid more. I know a LOT of users wouldn't continue their subscription and free users take more streams to count as a record being sold compared to premium users.

Per example;

Spotify free users have to stream a whopping 600 times in order to have it count as 1 sale. Whereas premium users have to stream it only 100 times.*approx.

Anyway, artists make their money mostly of commercial deals such as fragrance/beauty lines, advertising products and touring. They shouldn't need streaming to live.

Britney could EASILY live off her fragrance line alone.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind a price increase, tbh. Paying 7 euros a month for an unlimited library of music is absolutely ridiculous if you think about it. It costs more to buy one album. Obviously, you don't end up owning any of the music, but it's still dirt cheap. :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what: Lily Allen has been teasing #LA5 for a while, but she revealed that she probably won't release it until the pandemic is over because she wants to actually make money from her music. I'd be mad because I'm impatient AF, but I totally get it. Touring is where the money is at. :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

• Like 3

It would be great if the well established acts supported upcoming talent by allocating them a percentage of their streaming profits. Not sure how practical that would actually be but something needs to change to breathe new life into the music scene. What incredible acts have we missed out on? Would Britney make it if her sixteen year old self debuted in the current streaming era?

3 hours ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

Spotify free users have to stream a whopping 600 times in order to have it count as 1 sale. Whereas premium users have to stream it only 100 times.*approx.

Reaally? I have a premium, but I don't think I ever streamed any song more than 100 times (I switched to premium just a year ago) - maybe Mariah's The Roof as it was my most played song in 2020 (with 80 plays) - let alone 600 times?? 

Or does this only work for album streams? If I listen to one song from an album, it counts as one album stream, but if I stream the whole album does it only count as one still or it is like 12? I'm confused

36 minutes ago, SkyNet said:

I love physical albums. And I usually buy digital too, I have no streaming music platform. All old fashion way, saved on pc and stored on the shelf :lollipop_britney_sucker_dancing_party_2012:

Same ! So I don't have shltty ads every 2 fnckin minutes ! :ohreallylol_tiffany_pollard_miss_ms_new_york_ny_laugh_lol_haha_lmao_hehe_cackle:
AND streaming pollutes everyday more, never forget ! :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, I'mNotTheAverageLady said:

Reaally? I have a premium, but I don't think I ever streamed any song more than 100 times (I switched to premium just a year ago) - maybe Mariah's The Roof as it was my most played song in 2020 (with 80 plays) - let alone 600 times?? 

Or does this only work for album streams? If I listen to one song from an album, it counts as one album stream, but if I stream the whole album does it only count as one still or it is like 12? I'm confused

If you stream 1 song 100 times, it count as that 1 song being sold.

If you play all the album songs 100 times, it counts as an album sold.

I could be off a few streams but I know it's around 100 and 600 for Spotify.

That's why, when Britney released Mood Ring, I let it play all NIGHT with wifi off (to save data) and sound off because it DOES count when the sound is off and the streaming data is send whenever you reconnect with wifi/4G again. My overview last year said my most streamed song was Mood Ring with 1 day having more than a 1.000 streams so yeah it really does count and I gave Britney 10 sold copies with this on 1 day.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, SkyNet said:

I love physical albums. And I usually buy digital too, I have no streaming music platform. All old fashion way, saved on pc and stored on the shelf :lollipop_britney_sucker_dancing_party_2012:

Same here. I understand the appeal of streaming but it’s not for me. I like to own my music and I have it all catalogued too. 3884 album/EP’s and counting :bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block