Selena: The Series discussion thread

I’m trying to go into this without having a biased opinion BUT I am from El Paso, Texas and I am half Mexican. Selena was my first queen and I was obsessed with her when I was a kid. So my personal connection to Selena is strong. 

I already have my doubts about the actress. She looks nothing like Selena. They filled her lips and put a wig on her but forgot that Selena had hips and *****? :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I can just tell by looking at the previews that I will not like it. This woman looks too modern and skinny to be Selena. I’ve heard about the reviews and how the Quintanilla family is using the show as image rehab for THEM. I’ll still watch it to form my own opinion but Abraham has never rubbed me the right way.

I’d really like to read Chris Perez’s book actually and get some insider deets that way. 

• Love 4
On 11/30/2020 at 12:50 AM, Roxxy said:

And I still haven't seen the movie la la la~ :fruit_fall_trip_ouch_dead:

Send help. :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing:

WHAT!? I mean WHAT!?

The movie is a classic. JLo played Selena soo well, you could barely tell them apart. You need to watch it ASAPPPP but have a box of tissues ready because you will be :crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad: by the end

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, 2K16NEY said:

WHAT!? I mean WHAT!?

The movie is a classic. JLo played Selena soo well, you could barely tell them apart. You need to watch it ASAPPPP but have a box of tissues ready because you will be :crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad: by the end

It's true. :sobbing_unbelievable_wow_head_shake_no_crying_sobbing_sad:

It's one of my floppiest and lowest points as a pop culture stan. :queenie_falling_dying_dead: Someone please send me a download link. I've been looking for torrent download links since early this year. :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing:

• Love 1
11 hours ago, AmorProhibido said:

Um hello?? :surprisedney_britney_wow_shocked_surprised: Someone who equally (or as close as you can get to equally) stans Britney and Selena? Why have we never talked before? :wow_surprised_shocked_omg:

Right?!

Like Selena is why I'm gay.... I danced to La Carcacha being a 5 yrs old child jajajaja, always wanted to be like her, and then I learned English and fell for Brit Brit

selena quintanilla GIF

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, CaulkDestroyer said:

I'll watch because I've grown up with her music for as long as i can remember, but I have low expectations. It's no secret her dad has major issues controlling her image (which is understandable), but these mini series are supposed to show detailed insight into the subject's lives, and I feel like it won't be that. Heck, he didn't even want it to be known that she eloped because he didn't want her young fans to think it was okay to go against their parents say. In the book Chris wrote, he did reveal secrets about her that I'm certain her dad was upset about (Selena was not a virgin when they wed). 

This, I honestly don't think this will be a tell all kind of series, I had high hopes being a Netflix production, but not sure if is the way teasers have been released/directed that it feels extra cheese, in a bad way. Feels like it is a production from lifetime (see Britney after all for a comparison) LOL

But will see, perhaps I'll be wrong.

The actress doesn't look like Selena at all and so did JLO back in the day, while JLO managed to portray her charisma which I think made her acting very good hence, a good Selena interpretation, we'll see how it goes on the series.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Lloyd88 said:

It’s a two season series. The first season and its 9 episodes covers her childhood and early years right as she is on the cusp of superstardom. The second season (releasing in 2021) will cover the amor prohibido years to her death. 

talk about milking it....her family were and still are leeches 25 years later

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I’m trying to go into this without having a biased opinion BUT I am from El Paso, Texas and I am half Mexican. Selena was my first queen and I was obsessed with her when I was a kid. So my personal connection to Selena is strong. 

I already have my doubts about the actress. She looks nothing like Selena. They filled her lips and put a wig on her but forgot that Selena had hips and *****? :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay:

6 hours ago, 2K16NEY said:

I can just tell by looking at the previews that I will not like it. This woman looks too modern and skinny to be Selena. I’ve heard about the reviews and how the Quintanilla family is using the show as image rehab for THEM. I’ll still watch it to form my own opinion but Abraham has never rubbed me the right way.

This this this. I've said it before, but it's like someone playing JLo playing Selena. Like, they couldn't have gotten someone with her proportions? :boredashell_pink_britney_hmm_blink_well_umm:

7 hours ago, 2K16NEY said:

I’d really like to read Chris Perez’s book actually and get some insider deets that way. 

Chris' book is excellent! I hate that Abraham put a stop to the series Chris wanted to make after it :beat_fighting_punching_hitting_angry:

Spoiler

If I'm being honest, Abraham has always given me Jamie vibes. :drag_tiffany_ny_new_york_miss_ms_fight_pull_push_mad: He's just an absolute control freak when it comes to Selena, and while some of it is understandable, they way the Quintanilla family have milked her legacy is not. Not to mention painting themselves in a better light anytime they're able to. 

On 12/3/2020 at 12:18 AM, AmorProhibido said:

Yes you definitely should! Honestly I'm trying to get out of working on Friday so I can just binge it all day. :demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup: Part of me wants to take my time with it, but the other part of me wants to rush through it so I can talk about it on here. :clownery_makeup_meme:

I have a week off from work now so I think I’m going to try and binge the series this week. Stay tuned :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block