Warner records announced GHV2 By Madonna, a best of 90s Madonna edition

Spicechinodiva

In 2001 Madonna had her most successful tour to date at that time. 

The Drowned world tour 2001 was the third Highest grossing tour that year and yep you guessed it the highest grossing solo tour of that year. 

The tour was dubbed as like this limited engagement as she only visited 9 US Cities (first tour to skip Canada, but never fear they went to Detroit to see her), and only 5 Cities in Europe .

Highest rated HBO special, even more higher than Britney Spears: Live from Las Vegas, which was a first actually normally HBO does one concert special a year, But never two In the same year. 

That's how Iconic these two women were at that Time. HBO was willing to break tradition. But of course they went back after that one time exception. 

So it was announced Madonna was releasing a second greatest hits set. 

We thought oh. 

Saw the tracklisting. 

We was like where's american pie ho?  

Your version is way more positive and upbeat. 

Madonna told no whiley in a radio one interview to promote the Album. 

Thx to executives twisting her arm to include it on her 2000 album "Music" even she said it never fit the overall theme, but it had the word America but I guess they got the whole cowboy and Americana theme in the visuals mixed up and thought it matched the Album. 

Cos of that, I have no choice but to punish the track, argue with Warner. I told them no. She's grounded cos of them.

Working titles included

The Second coming (typical Madonna play on religion)

The immaculate collection, pArt duex

To finally being settled upon GHV2. A play on Greatest hits Volume 2. 

To which Madonna addessed it's a greatest Hits album, Hint no new music. It's just supposed to be the hits ands that's it. 

It did go platinum in the US. Ironically was released in the US 11 years to the exact day the immaculate collection was released. 

Coincidence, not really. If you understand Madonna. Which most of you don't. 

The Album while praised. Critics pointed the lack of hits, but contributed this as beginning with 1992's Erotica. 

Madonna became an albums artist and most of the selections on this package prove, there really was no radio friendly or commercial appeal at all, but that's Album artists for you. That's nothing wrong, cos it's actually I've done everything, I have nothing to prove now. I'm free to make music on my terms now. 

Which is actually the case especially for artists who were seen as running an entire decade. 

For females in Music in the 80s. Madonna was that girl that many record labels used as a template to create their own version. 

When you see lists of female acts from the 80s who defined the decade. She's usually #1.

Oddly she's still top five when it comes to females who dominated the 90s. So that's rare to actually be considered a factor in two different Decades. 

Most only get one. Madonna gets two Decades cos of her impact in the albums part of the 90s. 

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived