Do you feel embarrassed to say you like pop music?

4 hours ago, U_WannaLiveFancy said:

I'm like ""Why not both?"

The Douche/Bro [LB] and Angst [Korn] metal is underrated. Men expressing their feelings! But I remember sooooooooooooo many years of "Nu Metal is not real metal" that I forgot about Limp Bizkit until now.

I never got into Korn, but I found "Blind" at Woodstock '99 recently. The energy level from merely watching that on YouTube with headphones is insane! I missed out back in the day.

Then I switched back to pop mode and listened to Circus for the megarate thread :3

You can like both but again, being around a bunch of straight dudes in Middle school/HS can create peer pressure and make you wanna fit in. Personally, I like SOME songs by Korn, Limp Bizkit, System of the down BUT i cant listen to an album in full. I have be in a mood for hard rock/metal stuff. I actually like alt/rock more. Bands like The White Stripes, Death Cab, Panic at the disco, Depeche Mode, The Strokes, Muse  (to name a few) ended up being more my style. 

• Love 1

I think it's not the openness about liking pop music made some people uncomfortable about it but who's artist they are into.

Pop music is genre-less. It is about the "pop"ular music that's currently public and commercially received in a certain time regardless of the artist or it's grouping. 

It's like, I wouldn't be ashamed telling people that I listen to Doja Cat's Say So since everyone's also listening to it. But if would tell that I listen to her discography, that will be the time people might think something because it's out of the pop music circle.

So in conclusion, it's the artists we are following to kinda ashamed of to share, not really the music. But that's completely understandable due to the stereotypes and stigmas weighing in genders, ages and races.

• Love 1
On 9/6/2020 at 11:39 AM, ColdAsFire88 said:

I can totally relate to this topic :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud: but eventually I started hanging with more and more gays so it was a thing to talk about...I think peer pressure in HS makes us dive into certain music so we can "fit-in" :yeahsure:Believe it or not I used to listen to Korn, Limp Bizkit and Stained :umwtf: then would run home and play In The Zone, Dangerously In Love and Stripped + dance to Slave 4 U etc :o

Are you my dupe account? :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud: same except mine was Blink-182, Thrice, The White Stripes, etc. I also went through a rap/hip-hop phase. The kids did know I liked Britney and Christina but as the years went by I wouldn’t admit it anymore. Mostly only those that grew up with me were privy to that information :haha:

• Love 1
  • Content Curators
14 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Are you my dupe account? :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud: same except mine was Blink-182, Thrice, The White Stripes, etc. I also went through a rap/hip-hop phase. The kids did know I liked Britney and Christina but as the years went by I wouldn’t admit it anymore. Mostly only those that grew up with me were privy to that information :haha:

I still love rock music, funny thing @ColdAsFire88 I was listening to staind last night, their music is so depressing but, It's kinda, I don't know soothing I guess lol.

• Love 2

I wanna be there when you touch fire

18 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

You can like both but again, being around a bunch of straight dudes in Middle school/HS can create peer pressure and make you wanna fit in. Personally, I like SOME songs by Korn, Limp Bizkit, System of the down BUT i cant listen to an album in full. I have be in a mood for hard rock/metal stuff. I actually like alt/rock more. Bands like The White Stripes, Death Cab, Panic at the disco, Depeche Mode, The Strokes, Muse  (to name a few) ended up being more my style. 

I knew ONE straight friend - in a school where everyone listened to reggaeton/rap/emo - in like 8th grade who absolutely loved SOAD. Save for that guy I could not relate to my peers in school at all  when it came to music (and I did not know any gay/bi people; my gaydar was broken). Come high school, around 2007-8, I started to get into legit extreme metal via YouTube, growing apart from that SOAD friend, seeking out newer sounds (not gonna namedrop bands because I reckon no one ITT is interested lol). My metal tastes grew on my own; I tried to show some songs to acquaintances in high school but turned them off instantly lol.

My music collection today is like 90% metal, 5% Britney stanning, 5% "Other" lmao, I almost feel embarassed saying it on this board. I can't relate to the threads on here about other, younger popstars like Grande/Cyrus etc.

Btw, I saw The White Stripes live in 2005 as a kid :praisega:! But I found "Get Behind Me Satan" to be their very best album so I stopped listening to them when Icky Thump came out.

edit: another elementary school memory is me seeing the MV for "Do Something" for a few years on TV, back when MTV actually played music. I never told anyone IRL how much I bopped to it because everyone gave up on Brit after Toxic.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

In elementary, I had a "tough" exterior with 70's-to-90's rock + metal whenever someone saw my iPod collection of songs...

And then there was me secretly stanning Britney choreos on TV and listening Xtina's "Beautiful" or "Dirrty" (lmao) for VOKILLS when no one was around:mhm:

Idk, my music taste is bipolar I guess

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block