Do you feel embarrassed to say you like pop music?

• Leader

I remember in high school that everyone knew I stanned Britney, but I also felt a little embarrassed about it because subconsciously it forced me to face my sexuality (not that stanning Britney as a teenager = being gay, but....). :kylie: I legit only told like 2 or 3 of my friends in hs that I had BreatheHeavy. 

Then in my 20s I found myself being pretty hesitant to tell people I loved pop music. I would list a bunch of genres and throw pop in there. I presumed they'd judge me for being basic or something. :slayde:

Now that I'm in my early '30s and totally comfortable with who I am, I have no qualms saying :didilie: I lOvE pOp MuSiC aNd PrOmOtE iT fOr A LiViNg. 

Exhale, do you openly tell people you are a big fan of pop music. Don't deny it, either! Look, if you're on Exhale right now, you are. :jj: 

Thoughts? pop.jpg.6f6dfafdbafd1edf029aabc4b83e48dd.jpg

• Love 5
  • Like 1

Why should pop music listeners feel ashamed and embarrassed to tell that they enjoy pop music when other people can comfortably say they enjoy rock, hip-hop or some indie **** like that? The silly stereotypes the stupid society lays need to be canceled, because we be living 2020, not 2020 B.C. I definitely don’t feel ashamed, to say that I love pop music, because it’s just music bro lol.

• Love 2

I can totally relate to this topic :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud: but eventually I started hanging with more and more gays so it was a thing to talk about...I think peer pressure in HS makes us dive into certain music so we can "fit-in" :yeahsure:Believe it or not I used to listen to Korn, Limp Bizkit and Stained :umwtf: then would run home and play In The Zone, Dangerously In Love and Stripped + dance to Slave 4 U etc :o

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1

As a teen, I was. Pop is still written as a gender for girls. So at that point in my life I was cautious as to whom and when to say I love pop. As of today, I go ahead and boast around saying how much I love pop music, and while I consider my music taste tremendously varied, pop will always be my number 1. :wonka:

• Love 2

There was a line in Buffy, the Vampire Slayer that really stuck with me: “Shame is nothing to be proud off.” I was first known as the biggest Spice Girl stan and would bring my Spice Girl dolls to school, then the biggest Britney stan, then the biggest Hilary and Ashlee stan. I never had shame cause I’m literally just a King. And I grew up in the country in the Bible Belt and still was a King. I’m your unproblematic fav.

Anyone who tries to come for my taste is probably a dumpster.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block