This Day in Pop: Alizée's debut single 'Moi... Lolita' is released in 2000 (July 4)

21 minutes ago, FrenchToast said:

I had no idea Alizée was that famous abroad! :comingthru:
In France her success was incredible, she still is a pop icon.
Unfortunately once she stopped working with Mylène, she never had the same success again. She tried some bolder sounds, which were really cool and interesting, but not as popular as her first hits. I guess she tried to get rid of her Lolita image and wanted to show something more mature, but the public didn't follow.

She always said her first love was dance. For the update, for those who don't know, she won the French "Dancing with the Stars" a few years ago, and fell in love with her partner during the show.
They got married, got a baby together and opened a dance school. 
She tried a come back (the "Blonde" song) just after the show, but the success was average...

Yeah, I read she actually tried to participate as a dancer on that talent show she did at the beginning, but since it was only for groups, that's why she ended up signing for the singing competition

• Love 1
3 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Yeah, I read she actually tried to participate as a dancer on that talent show she did at the beginning, but since it was only for groups, that's why she ended up signing for the singing competition

Yes the story is crazy, she actually became singer by chance. She initially went for the dance competion, and ended singing...

Mylène spotted her at the TV, and that was it!

Here was the performance:

• Love 1
On 7/5/2020 at 12:00 AM, PokemonSpears said:

alizee.jpg.2f7666e9357d67408693c54a8c4ca811.jpg

20 years ago, French singer Alizée released her debut single Moi... Lolita after appearing on the talent show Graines de star the previous year. She was seen by Mylène Farmer, one of the most successful recording artists of France, who approached her and selected her to partake in the project she had along with Laurent Boutonnat, her songwriter partner.

The single went #1 in Italy and Spain, and became a Top 10 hit in many European charts like Belgium, France, Netherlands, Austria, Germany, and even the UK, where it peaked at #9, a rarity for a foreign-language song. When her follow-up single  L'Alizé hit #1 in France, Moi... Lolita was still on the chart at #3.

Her debut album, Gourmandises, would be released on November of that same year.

Her career has had many ups and downs, but I think if there's any French fans in here, they will be able to shed more light on it.

This is one of her latest appearances, which happened earlier this year, a few months after giving birth to her second baby.

Moi Lolita was a huge hit in Italy. Like, 10 or 12 weeks at number 1! Everybody knows that song. 

I know she had a great career In France, her Country, but in Italy after Moi Lolita she's never ever been on the charts. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, FrenchToast said:

I had no idea Alizée was that famous abroad! :comingthru:
In France her success was incredible, she still is a pop icon.
Unfortunately once she stopped working with Mylène, she never had the same success again. She tried some bolder sounds, which were really cool and interesting, but not as popular as her first hits. I guess she tried to get rid of her Lolita image and wanted to show something more mature, but the public didn't follow.

She always said her first love was dance. For the update, for those who don't know, she won the French "Dancing with the Stars" a few years ago, and fell in love with her partner during the show.
They got married, got a baby together and opened a dance school. 
She tried a come back (the "Blonde" song) just after the show, but the success was average...

Whaaat!? That's so cool!:o

• Love 1
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block