This Day in Pop: Alizée's debut single 'Moi... Lolita' is released in 2000 (July 4)

alizee.jpg.2f7666e9357d67408693c54a8c4ca811.jpg

20 years ago, French singer Alizée released her debut single Moi... Lolita after appearing on the talent show Graines de star the previous year. She was seen by Mylène Farmer, one of the most successful recording artists of France, who approached her and selected her to partake in the project she had along with Laurent Boutonnat, her songwriter partner.

The single went #1 in Italy and Spain, and became a Top 10 hit in many European charts like Belgium, France, Netherlands, Austria, Germany, and even the UK, where it peaked at #9, a rarity for a foreign-language song. When her follow-up single  L'Alizé hit #1 in France, Moi... Lolita was still on the chart at #3.

Her debut album, Gourmandises, would be released on November of that same year.

Her career has had many ups and downs, but I think if there's any French fans in here, they will be able to shed more light on it.

This is one of her latest appearances, which happened earlier this year, a few months after giving birth to her second baby.

• Love 9

Here in Mexico, she became very popular around 2006 - 2007 when a now disappeared TV show started to feature this performance in one of their segments

We didn't know who she was, but people got obsessed with her, for the catchiness of the song, but mostly because of her beauty.

Apparently she was on a hiatus at the time, since she had become a mom, but this became sort of a second coming in her career.

Her live album En Concert was released in Mexico in 2007, and the songs went sent to the radio. The album peaked at #8 in the country's main chart and #4 on the International one.

She then released her third studio album Psychédélices and the lead single became very popular in Latin America. MTV would play it all the time.

In 2008 she visited Mexico with her tour, and made many appearances, she even appeared in a telenovela

She also had planned an autograph session, but it had to be cancelled because they received so much more people then they had expected. It was re-scheduled for later that year. Then we got a compilation album, Tout Alizée, which was released exclusively in Mexico where it hit the #3 on International Albums chart and #22 on the main chart.

Porta-1.jpg

Her cover of La Isla Bonita got a lot of radio airplay too

After that, we really didn't hear about her anymore, except this video which made the rounds in some channels

• Love 2
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

C’est pas ma faute et quand Je donne ma langue au chat je vois les autres :bop: L O L I T A moi Lolita :bop: I remember when I first heard this song in French class :urite: 

You had some interesting French lessons.this song is so ******

• Haha 3

I just discovered this song a few months ago:embarrassed: and I am obssesed!!!

16 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

She then released her third studio album Psychédélices and the lead single became very popular in Latin America. MTV would play it all the time.

I remember this! Sadly that song/album is not on Spotify

• Like 1

She was perfection and her first 2 albums are amazing, still listening to them sometimes, but honestly she was only good as long as she sang Mylene farmer's songs , after Mylene stopped writing for her she flopped and eventually retired at very young age which is a shame , but she doesn't really have what it takes ,she is cute and **** but she lacks the Charisma and passion/desire to be a singer/performer .  Anywayz her first 2 albums will stay with me forever they remind me of so much  .... :sobbing:

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I had no idea Alizée was that famous abroad! :comingthru:
In France her success was incredible, she still is a pop icon.
Unfortunately once she stopped working with Mylène, she never had the same success again. She tried some bolder sounds, which were really cool and interesting, but not as popular as her first hits. I guess she tried to get rid of her Lolita image and wanted to show something more mature, but the public didn't follow.

She always said her first love was dance. For the update, for those who don't know, she won the French "Dancing with the Stars" a few years ago, and fell in love with her partner during the show.
They got married, got a baby together and opened a dance school. 
She tried a come back (the "Blonde" song) just after the show, but the success was average...

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block