Charli XCX's new album 'How I'm Feeling Now' debuts at #111, stan Twitter attacks

I personally love that she's cultivated her own style.There's a definite lack of quality control to "how I'm feeling now"  but I'd bet that's more a consequence of her literally making the album just sitting in her house for a month.  I'm sure at some point Charli will write another watered down, more palatable radio hit for another artist to recoup some coins. :thelook:

i adore the album and i think she's one of the most exciting artists out now and her dedicated is so admirable. this isn't a shocking debut when you think about it.

the circumstances:

- charli is not a mainstream artist. she's very experimental, she's far more of a bjork than like...halsey or whatever. she's truly non-mainstream and will likely remain that way. that is okay! sucker was not a great album and it was her most mainstream album, hell she even disowned it more or less; she's far better when she's going with her gut and working outside the box. i would rather see 8.5K sold of an album containing tracks like forever, detonate, anthems, enemy, etc etc or 13.2K of an album containing tracks like shake it, click, gone etc etc than 28.9K of an album with tracks like london queen and gold coins...

- music sales aren't what they could be because of the pandemic. we knew that already with, for example, the performance of future nostalgia not quite living up to expectations despite dua lipa sticking in the top ten with don't start now and being pretty relevant (so it's not an issue of dua also being unfavored by the american public).

- how tf she gonna promote any of it with the stuff going on? it wasn't really a normal album either, it wasn't going to be able to have some kind of long months long roll out with tons of promo given it's very nature

so 8.5K first week sales for a non-American female musician in a genre of music that is very non-commercial, bordering on industrial at times, during a pandemic with stay at home orders and mass unemployment, with an album that was made in a month with no promo possible or sensible? she did fine. it's a fantastic album. that's all that matters. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block