Lana Del Rey posts second letter: 3rd wave of feminism is rapidly approaching!

• Leader

lana.jpg.c7dde75947c534655c493ea2c54e1a98.jpg

Lana Del Rey wrote a followup letter to fans after shouldering a wave of backlash for her initial post

“A couple of final notes on my ‘controversial post’ that’s not controversial at all. Despite the feedback I’ve heard from several people that I mentioned in a complementary way, whether it be Ariana or Doja Cat—I want to say that I remain firm in my clarity and stance in that what I was writing about was the importance of self advocacy for the more delicate and often dismissed, softer female personality.”

Lana added that “there does have to be room for that type in what will inevitably become a new wave/3rd wave of feminism that is rapidly approaching. Watch!”

She continued:

Perhaps I could’ve given more context to my post by mentioning the title of the second book that would be out next March called behind the iron gates - insights from an institution

I’m sorry that the folks who I can only assume are super trump/pence supporters or hyper liberals or flip-flopping headline grabbing critics can’t read and want to make it a race war, when in fact the issue was with *female critics and *female alternative artists who are dissociated from their own fragility and sexuality and berate more ******** liberated artists like myself and the women I mentioned.

But in truth making it about race says so much more about you than it does about me—you want the drama, you don’t want to believe that a woman could be beautiful, strong, and fragile at the same time, loving and all inclusive by making personal reparations simply for the joy of doing it it [sic]. Nothing new here in your reaction. Same as ten years ago when a million think pieces came out about me feigning emotional fragility or lying about coming from no money when that was the truth."

Lana defended herself in the comments section of her initial post yesterday. 

“I ******* love these singers and know them,” referring to Doja Cat, Ariana Grande, Camila Cabello, Cardi B, Kehlani, Nicki Minaj, and Beyoncé, who, in yesterday’s post, she claimed, “have had number ones with songs about being ****, wearing no clothes, *******, cheating etc.”

She continued, “#that is why I mentioned them I would also like to have some of the same freedom of expression without judgment of hysteria. There you go.” 

Lana also addressed the elephant in the room: that the women she mentioned were women of color.

“Bro. This is sad to make it about a WOC issue when I’m talking about my favorite singers,” Lana wrote. “I could’ve literally said anyone but I picked my favorite ******* people.”

She added: “And this is the problem with society today, not everything is about whatever you want it to be. It’s exactly the point of my post—there are certain women that culture doesn’t want to have a voice it may not have to do with race I don’t know what it has to do with. I don’t care anymore but don’t ever ever ever ever bro- call me racist because that is bull****.”

Here's another comment she left:

lana.jpg.c7dde75947c534655c493ea2c54e1a98.jpg"By the way the singers I mentioned are my favorite singers so if you want to try and make a bone to pick out of that like you always do be my guest, it doesn’t change the fact that I haven’t had the same opportunity to express what I wanted to express without being completely decimated and if you want to say that that has something to do with race that’s your opinion but that’s not what I was saying."

"And my last and final note on everything—when I said people who look like me—I meant the people who don’t look strong or necessarily smart, or like they’re in control etc. it’s about advocating for a more delicate personality, not for white woman—thanks for the Karen comments tho. V helpful"

Related:

6 minutes ago, JordanMiller said:

But in truth making it about race says so much more about you than it does about me—you want the drama, you don’t want to believe that a woman could be beautiful, strong, and fragile at the same time, loving and all inclusive by making personal reparations simply for the joy of doing it it [sic]. Nothing new here in your reaction. Same as ten years ago when a million think pieces came out about me feigning emotional fragility or lying about coming from no money when that was the truth.

[...]

"And my last and final note on everything—when I said people who look like me—I meant the people who don’t look strong or necessarily smart, or like they’re in control etc. it’s about advocating for a more delicate personality, not for white woman—thanks for the Karen comments tho. V helpful”

bad girls club wow GIF

I’m not following. Like I’m genuinely confused about the whole thing alsjfkskf

is she dragging them because they write signs about being materialistic, ***, and wanting ***? Isn’t that like...the opposite of feminism? Isn’t feminism all about supporting other women and their choices whatever they be? *** positivity? Body positivity? Representation for WOC? I’m not seeing what’s happening here and am just genuinely confused lmao

5 hours ago, studlygeorge said:

is she dragging them because they write signs about being materialistic, ***, and wanting ***? Isn’t that like...the opposite of feminism? Isn’t feminism all about supporting other women and their choices whatever they be? *** positivity? Body positivity? Representation for WOC? I’m not seeing what’s happening here and am just genuinely confused lmao

I think people are just pissed that she name dropped other artists which is totally out of character for her to do. She then said that she name dropped them because theyre her favorite artists (while also dragging them:gagacrash:.) So theres a lot of confusion on either side. Lana should have just apologized for name dropping other artists but she ended up digging a deeper hole for herself.

7 hours ago, studlygeorge said:

From what I could gather she just wants to be held to the same standard as other women in music. She's always been criticized for glamorizing abuse and toxic relationships and then she named a few artists who've recently had hits that, in her mind, do the same thing. Since she named mostly black women (except for Africana Grande), people started making it a race and privilege issue like they always do. :jl:

• Love 1

I don’t like Lana’s music, just not my thing. But joe is she dragging anyone? She’s literally saying she wants to be afforded the same reception when she sings about her stuff as those other girls. Anyone who brought race into it is reaching, Ariana is white? Whatever. Lame *** pandemic news cycle where people need something to spice up their petty quarantined lives. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.