Flashback Friday: Appreciating the Brilliance of Olivia Newton-John’s “Physical”

olivia-newton-john-original.jpg

Can we talk for a minute? Olivia Newton-John took advantage of the fitness craze in the 1980s to create the perfect song for both the gym and for the bedroom, Physical. The song is a total bop, and I honestly don’t think I can ever listen to it once without it getting stuck in my head for the rest of the day, maybe even the week. 

Not only is Physical a bop and the perfect double entendre, but Olivia took the amazing role of being an LGTBQ+ ally with the music video. In the video, Olivia Newton-John is training a bunch of out-of-shape men to become super fit. By the time the men are finally in shape, rather than falling in love with Olivia, they fall in love with each other. We stan.

The song also inspired Dua Lipa’s same-titled song, Physical, where she quotes Olivia’s original song and plays off the song to make it her own while still paying homage. Dua Lipa even released her own 80s-inspired workout video for her song despite already releasing a music video for the song. The workout video is perfect for playing on the TVs at the gym (well, if it weren’t for the pandemic) and for continuing to honor Olivia Newton-John’s Physical video.

Thoughts on Olivia Newton-John’s Physical? Are you as big of a fan of the song and video as I am, or does it not “work out” for you? ;)2CD1A338-D255-42ED-B086-52674709E603.jpeg

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block