Who owns Britney’s master tracks?

SlayOut

• Super Mods

Does RCA own all the master tracks from Britney’s released (and unreleased :omg:) Records? Does Britney own any of them? :schoolingtime: If anyone knows, please share because I hope they’re in good hands... or else :badthoughts:

Spoiler

This whole drama with Taylor Swift has me shook :fakewow: Its crazy to think that major pop stars may not even own the masters of the songs that they’re largely responsible for making popular... 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If greedy ***, manipulative  Taylor doesn't own any of her masters, then there is no way in hell that Britney a soft spoken humble artist owns anything from her discography and plus Britney doesn't right most of her songs so Britney doesn't even my publisher rights forget master rights

• Super Mods
13 hours ago, nakedsoldier said:

Britney doesn't even own her own life, what makes you think she own her masters?

Damn :cackling: The tea kettle is boiling :cackling:

3 hours ago, vinay said:

If greedy ***, manipulative  Taylor doesn't own any of her masters, then there is no way in hell that Britney a soft spoken humble artist owns anything from her discography and plus Britney doesn't right most of her songs so Britney doesn't even my publisher rights forget master rights

I’m still curious about who owns them... like there must be so much value to them :schoolingtime: Daddy Spears better keep his grimy hands away :badthoughts:

It’s owned by her record label. In Britney’s case I’ll assume that the masters is the sole property asset of RCA Records since Jive Records shut its doors a while back.

That’s standard record business practice for the label to own the rights to the artist’s master recordings until there’s a contractual negotiation that allows the artist to purchase it or bid on it. Assuming they can afford to buy it. I’m not saying it’s right or a fair practice because it isn’t. But that’s the business. A deal is a deal. Business is business. IMO Taylor is getting her emotions caught up in this mess when she should’ve focused just on artists rights, not Kim/Kanye, Bieber and her dislike of Scooter Braun. Her argument is stronger if she’d left out the personal drama.

Rihanna owns her masters and she’s been in the industry less time than Britney. On the other hand, RiRi is in full legal control of her life and her career. We don’t know if Britney’s contract with RCA allows her (aka Jamie/cship) to purchase the masters. Details of the extension with RCA were scarce.

• Super Mods
4 hours ago, generation glory said:

It’s owned by her record label. In Britney’s case I’ll assume that the masters is the sole property asset of RCA Records since Jive Records shut its doors a while back.

That’s standard record business practice for the label to own the rights to the artist’s master recordings until there’s a contractual negotiation that allows the artist to purchase it or bid on it. Assuming they can afford to buy it. I’m not saying it’s right or a fair practice because it isn’t. But that’s the business. A deal is a deal. Business is business. IMO Taylor is getting her emotions caught up in this mess when she should’ve focused just on artists rights, not Kim/Kanye, Bieber and her dislike of Scooter Braun. Her argument is stronger if she’d left out the personal drama.

Rihanna owns her masters and she’s been in the industry less time than Britney. On the other hand, RiRi is in full legal control of her life and her career. We don’t know if Britney’s contract with RCA allows her (aka Jamie/cship) to purchase the masters. Details of the extension with RCA were scarce.

Yes answer come through!!! :queenriri: That's what I thought, but I didn't know if Britney might have purchased or owned any of her masters from the past. As much as I usually don't like Taylor's petty dramas of the past, I do think it really sucks that she doesn't have her masters now (even if it is common business-wise).

But yas Rihlegend :gelis:

Michael Jackson and The Beatles didn’t even own their masters.

Britney’s team (whether you like them or not) aren’t going to just let her masters go to a douche like Scooter.

Plus I don’t think Britney has ever had a huge scuffle with her label, nor made many enemies in the business.

Can you imagine a Britney song being used for Burger King commercials? “Oops I Bought a Whopper Again”. I’d fly to California and protest.

The upside to the decade long conservatorship and her undisclosed mental illness is that she would actually have a fighting change in court if she gets out of it. She wasn’t signing those contracts. Her conservators were.

Archived