Which Britney songs are unfairly criticized?

For me Mmm Papi is one of her most unfairly attacked songs. It's supposed to be a zany, fun song. People take it too damn seriously. It's got a great melody and a good vibe. When it's ridiculous, it's ridiculous on purpose. Some people are just misunderstanding the song, I feel

I also think My Baby is unfairly criticized -- some people don't ******* understand what the breath line refers to. Sure, it sounds funny on its own, but that doesn't mean it's bad in the song. The song is nothing great, but it's unfairly criticized

All things Femme Fatale -- people forget how forward-thinking the album was at the time, and many here don't give the music a fair hearing because they are so focused on how she was doing personally at the time

Why Should I Be Sad - She gets no credit among the fanbase for how personal she is in this song. Yes, Pharrell wrote it, but she obviously was his muse and she signed off on those words -- and we know she has always been very picky about being revealing of herself, so Pharrell clearly knew her well enough to convey what she wanted to convey to the world about her marriage to Kevin. It's an interesting note to end Blackout on, and we can assume Britney put the track last on purpose. It's more pensive and lyric-driven than most of the album. She wanted to end the album on that note rather than with some love ballad or big finale.

************* Clumsy, one of the best songs on Glory, is totally misunderstood by this forum...it is a playful,  odd,  manic song...you have to listen to it with different expectations than if you are listening to ******* Just Luv Me or Slumber Party...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, Mmm Papi is underrated. But I think it's because the second half of Circus is kind of underwhelming compared to the first. So people attach the weakest of the bunch, Mmm Papi and My Baby. 

I feel like most poeple generally liked Femme Fatale. Drop Dead (Beautiful) gets hate because Sabi serves the weakest verse of the entire album and is nobody. Big Fat Bass gets hate because like it said, it's the weakest of the bunch so people are most vocal about it. 

Why Should I Be Sad is a career highlight. The only problem is it doesn't have as much replay value as the rest of the album. It's the last song following a slew of uptempos, I see why it gets skipped. I personally love it though. 

I like Clumsy, it's not the worst on Glory. I just feel like the vocals sound a little wired. I like the rest of the song though. I feel Private Show gets a lot of hate as well and I think it's because with both songs with just a little tweaking could be so much better. 

Hold It Against Me. I don't get the hate. It's so out there and great. It's like fierce and **** Britney but it's just different and fresh. Everything about it is fire. From Britney's performance to the sick beat, the drops... The dubstep also which hadn't been done that way before

When you listen to it with actual good headphones or speaker or whatever it's eargasm. :cinderellaney:

4 hours ago, Someone Who Knows said:

For me Mmm Papi is one of her most unfairly attacked songs. It's supposed to be a zany, fun song. People take it too damn seriously. It's got a great melody and a good vibe. When it's ridiculous, it's ridiculous on purpose. Some people are just misunderstanding the song, I feel

TRUE. It's such a bop!

I also think My Baby is unfairly criticized -- some people don't ******* understand what the breath line refers to. Sure, it sounds funny on its own, but that doesn't mean it's bad in the song. The song is nothing great, but it's unfairly criticized

Well, lyrics are a little too cheesy but it's not THAT bad.

All things Femme Fatale -- people forget how forward-thinking the album was at the time, and many here don't give the music a fair hearing because they are so focused on how she was doing personally at the time

Exactly.

Why Should I Be Sad - She gets no credit among the fanbase for how personal she is in this song. Yes, Pharrell wrote it, but she obviously was his muse and she signed off on those words -- and we know she has always been very picky about being revealing of herself, so Pharrell clearly knew her well enough to convey what she wanted to convey to the world about her marriage to Kevin. It's an interesting note to end Blackout on, and we can assume Britney put the track last on purpose. It's more pensive and lyric-driven than most of the album. She wanted to end the album on that note rather than with some love ballad or big finale.

Well... I like this song, and you're right, but she didn't even want it to be included on Blackout. Pharrell  himself said she chose "Hooked On", but her label wanted "Wsibs" to have people talking about the personal theme.

************* Clumsy, one of the best songs on Glory, is totally misunderstood by this forum...it is a playful,  odd,  manic song...you have to listen to it with different expectations than if you are listening to ******* Just Luv Me or Slumber Party...

It's a playful, fun song but still sounds unfinished to me :( Wish Change Your Mind was at its place in the tracklist

Why Should I Be Sad. One of the best songs on Blackout and lyrically one of the best songs of her career. It took me a while to warm up to this song, but once I did, no turning back. It tells Britney's story so beautifully, it adds additional depth to why her marriage broke down and it's just a great song about making a mistake, admitting you're wrong and I think it would have helped give Britney that closure she needed with Kevin. I know Britney didn't write the song, but it honestly sounds like it came straight from her heart. It's a different take on the usual breakup song, instead of a "why me" approach and feeling sorry for yourself, the song sounds like Britney reflecting on why she chose to do the things she did, why she managed to miss all the signs and in the end, why should she dwell on something that she probably knew a long time beforehand was already over. I really like how it repeats "Goodbye" several times through the song, it's almost like a departure from the period of time she spent with Kevin, and that now it's over, she can finally move onto the next chapter. 

Also, (I Got That) Boom Boom. That song is one of the best songs she's done, and I'm willing to fight anyone who disagrees. 

Outrageous and Boom Boom. I wasn't aware people have been criticizing Why Should I Be Sad, but if they are, that one too.

Also, not a song, but the Gimme More video. I love it and I think it fits the song perfectly. Great vibe/atmosphere and Britney looks hot af. Wouldn't trade it for any other video for the song.

10 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

I don't mind Mmm Papi but when it made the album over a bop like Dangerous... it's just :squintney:

100% exactly what I was about to say!

Mmm Papi is a throwaway song, and the issue is that we got Mmm Papi as an album track (all because she "cowrote" the song), when Circus could have had Telephone, Dangerous, Insatiable, Strangest Love (debatable whether its ITZ or Circus)... so many great songs leftover, while Circus ended up being a letdown of an album.

10 minutes ago, Streets said:

100% exactly what I was about to say!

Mmm Papi is a throwaway song, and the issue is that we got Mmm Papi as an album track (all because she "cowrote" the song), when Circus could have had Telephone, Dangerous, Insatiable, Strangest Love (debatable whether its ITZ or Circus)... so many great songs leftover, while Circus ended up being a letdown of an album.

Strangest Love is most likely from ITZ. Guy Chambers and Brian McFadden were working together on Brian McFadden's debut album released in 2004 so it's likely they worked with Britney prior.

Plus, Mark Taylor and Paul Barry (who worked on ITZ) also worked on Brian's album.

in recent memory, private show and perfume. i think those songs are ******* amazing and show that britney can push herself vocally. yeah, shes not christina aguilera in terms of how strong her voice is,....but where the hell is she anywway? britney has had the star power to stay relevent despite not having a mariah carey-esque vocal range and i love that she serves us with songs like private show, perfume and what you need. literally some of my fave britney songs.

Archived