BreatheHeavy's Top Albums of 2016

Aaron Butterfield

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jcf523 said:

no but literally I thought whoever that was, was referring to Dangerously in Love and I was like "what?! no one remembers that"

Drunk in Love didn't even come to mind LOL :cigney:

You are right, i thought about Dangerously in love (her albumtitle) but of course i had Crazy In Love in my head.

2 hours ago, Curious_1110 said:

Well, by definition Lemonade is a concept album therefore it is objectively more cohesive than Glory. From track 1-11 Lemonade has a narrative arc that's easy to follow. Glory is an excellent pop album, but concept albums, true concept albums are rare and people praise them on a different level (see The Dark Side of The Moon)

I get what you're saying, but Lemonade is a visual album. Granted, you could argue that it's a "concept" but in that case, which album ISN'T a concept album? LOL. Albums, singles, etc all begin with some sort of concept/idea. Music would not exist without concept.

19 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Melanie Martinez released a concept album. Where's her year end #1 and Grammy?

Let's be real, she's only getting the attention because she's Beyonce. It's not that deep or special. :madonna:

Father John Misty, Tame Impala, and Bjork released that year, the alternative bases were covered plus it was her debut album and she's a pretty niche artist. Also I can't see the Grammys nominating Cry Baby for album of the year with those song titles, no matter how good the material.

I don't disagree with with you, Beyonce releasing Lemonade does play a big huge part in the way it was received. There's no denying that. But I also don't think that's the sole reason it's getting praised

9 minutes ago, jcf523 said:

I get what you're saying, but Lemonade is a visual album. Granted, you could argue that it's a "concept" but in that case, which album ISN'T a concept album? LOL. Albums, singles, etc all begin with some sort of concept/idea. Music would not exist without concept.

The reason I used the example of The Dark Side of The Moon is because it, like Lemonade has an actual narrative arc. That album begins with a heartbeat and ends with one, as the album itself journeys through life. 

Lemonade literally takes you on the journey of feeling like you're being cheated on, convincing yourself they could never. Then finding out yes in fact you have been cheated on and how she (or whoever) chose to cope and go forward. There's not a lot of albums you could literally give a synopsis of like a film. You can do that with true concept albums like Black Parade or American Idiot 

21 minutes ago, Curious_1110 said:

Father John Misty, Tame Impala, and Bjork released that year, the alternative bases were covered plus it was her debut album and she's a pretty niche artist. Also I can't see the Grammys nominating Cry Baby for album of the year with those song titles, no matter how good the material.

I don't disagree with with you, Beyonce releasing Lemonade does play a big huge part in the way it was received. There's no denying that. But I also don't think that's the sole reason it's getting praised

It is. Had anyone else released this album (say Rihanna) the reaction would be average. It's not that special nor does it transcend any planes.

3 minutes ago, A.D. said:

Beyonka stans need to stop worshipping ha like crazy and nick naming her the MJ of our time. He's probably rolling on his grave knowing that he's being compared to someone who moves like a headless turkey trying to escape a voodoo ritual :queenriri:

Very accurate description of Beyonkas poor excuse of dancing :NYcackle:

Just now, BoyToySoldier said:

It is. Had anyone else released this album (say Rihanna) the reaction would be average. It's not that special nor does it transcend any planes.

Rihanna couldn't release Lemonade it's too specific to her (B) as a black southern/American woman. Imagine Rihanna singing Daddy Issues with a southern twang. Or Rihanna musing about the hurt of a failed long term relationship due to infidelity when her only known confirmed relationship was with Chris B and we a know how it ended. Or her take on Freedom ...as a Bajan woman. 

We'll have to disagree because in my opinion To Pimp A Butterfly and Lemonade are 2 albums that transcended music and made social statements. Granted Lemonades statement was a bit watered down in comparison 

5 minutes ago, A.D. said:

It's hard to take ha seriously anyway. Remember when she became vegan for 23 days for the sake of weight loss and not the actual experience of abstaining from meat? :byebitch:

Did she actually do that just so she could lose weight? Wow Fakonce really is a joke it seems :nicki2:

I don't really pay attention to fake people like beyonce so I must have missed the fact that she did that :rihclap:

58 minutes ago, RobRocks said:

For things like this list I'm glad Galaxxy represents the fandom and not this messy web. We all should move there and stop giving coins to these ******** :sassybrit:

We really should. We all should open a thread and move there tbh. Britney isnt respected by the adms and she isnt the main focus for years now.

8 minutes ago, Curious_1110 said:

Rihanna couldn't release Lemonade it's too specific to her (B) as a black southern/American woman. Imagine Rihanna singing Daddy Issues with a southern twang. Or Rihanna musing about the hurt of a failed long term relationship due to infidelity when her only known confirmed relationship was with Chris B and we a know how it ended. Or her take on Freedom ...as a Bajan woman. 

We'll have to disagree because in my opinion To Pimp A Butterfly and Lemonade are 2 albums that transcended music and made social statements. Granted Lemonades statement was a bit watered down in comparison 

Rihanna doesn't have to sing it with a twang. She could easily incorporate her own culture by adding that Carribean flair. The lyrics aren't specific to one genre of music.

Rihanna could easily talk about the relationship with Chris Brown. She did this on Rated R and Unapologetic. It's her own story much like JAY Z's infidelity is to Beyonce.

Lemonade is panderous. It doesn't feel sincere at all to me because Beyonce herself is not sincere. She's incredibly egotistical and unrelatable as an artist. Her whole persona is overwhelming and keeps you shut out with a glittery facade covering the interior. Never have I had a moment watching Beyonce perform or watching her speak about her artistry or personal life where I was in my feels.

Perphaps that's my personal opinion as you have your own, but that is just how I feel and I do have examples to back these statements up.

Beyonce is known to steal her artistic credentials, so why should I believe that Lemonade is her true artistry? Why should I believe that her team and producers didn't come up with every detail while she just provided the canvas?

I mean anybody can buy art supplies.

22 minutes ago, A.D. said:

Beyonka stans need to stop worshipping ha like crazy and nick naming her the MJ of our time. He's probably rolling on his grave knowing that he's being compared to someone who moves like a headless turkey trying to escape a voodoo ritual :queenriri:

:orangu: I love your always accurate descriptions my good sis :riri: And honestly, that's insulting MJ at this point :lostney:

Just now, A.D. said:

She made her team hype her mini interview on GMA or something and there were even BeeHive members who skipped school and all. I know this because someone here on Exhale posted a video of Wendy Williams talking about it on her show and she threw shade at Beyoncé for doing a short interview by saying "she's not a good talker" and said that her stans don't have a life :queenriri:

Wendy may be a little bit of a ***** but she can sure spill that truth tea and be a shady queen sometimes :riri:

14 minutes ago, A.D. said:

It's hard to take ha seriously anyway. Remember when she became vegan for 23 days for the sake of weight loss and not the actual experience of abstaining from meat? :byebitch:

And she went to the vegan restaurant wearing fur and leather. She is fake af. Idk why people pretend she is doing smt, changing the world. Look at Emma watsons work. She wears clothes that are eco friendly and all the feminism she tries to do/preach is outside her movies so we can see is more genuine. She isnt making profits out of it. I cant take thief seriously. People who care about the world wont wear fur Just to look "classy", "fierce", etc. Thief is a selfish ***** so into her looks :trash:

Just now, A.D. said:

It doesn't help that she stuffs her cellulite *** on those leotards that made her look like a European sausage :queenriri:

I don't like Wendy but it's safe to say she doesn't hate Britney. You can tell she bashes her for audience bating which is wrong in so many ways but she praises her current performance style. Beyonka though, she always says rude things to ha :staysalty:

:orangu: Honestly tho, her leotards look way too ******* tight :queenriri: And love Wendy for that, she always come through in terms of shade :staysalty:

2 minutes ago, A.D. said:

Don't even get me started on ha boots/heels. They look like something she'd purchase at a dollar shop for a quickie in the nearest restroom :queenriri:

Oh yes, her shoes are just as offensive as her dress at this year's MET Gala, even Madonna's tacky look was better than that teenager acne skin realness she gave us that year :queenriri:

3 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Rihanna doesn't have to sing it with a twang. She could easily incorporate her own culture by adding that Carribean flair. The lyrics aren't specific to one genre of music.

Rihanna could easily talk about the relationship with Chris Brown. She did this on Rated R and Unapologetic. It's her own story much like JAY Z's infidelity is to Beyonce.

Lemonade is panderous. It doesn't feel sincere at all to me because Beyonce herself is not sincere. She's incredibly egotistical and unrelatable as an artist. Her whole persona is overwhelming and keeps you shut out with a glittery facade covering the interior. Never have I had a moment watching Beyonce perform or watching her speak about her artistry or personal life where I was in my feels.

Perphaps that's my personal opinion as you have your own, but that is just how I feel and I do have examples to back these statements up.

Beyonce is known to steal her artistic credentials, so why should I believe that Lemonade is her true artistry? Why should I believe that her team and producers didn't come up with every detail while she just provided the canvas?

I mean anybody can buy art supplies.

My best friend is a huge Bey fan and I was cursed out for saying that so I agree with you. I can't relate to her, I don't think she wants to be relatable and that's fine for me as someone who just likes the music and doesn't invest in an artist themselves, that stuff doesn't bother me because the content is still the same whether it was all written by her or not. 

Same as her personality, I think she's pretty bland and inoffensive - so I'm always puzzled by why people have this intense dislike for her.

The lyrics to daddy issues are almost genre specific - my daddy, my momma, whiskey, and a shot gun aren't exactly pop/R&B tropes. Also like you said, Rihanna already did this with Rated R (that happens to be my fav album of hers) so it would feel redundant coming from her. 

20 minutes ago, A.D. said:

It doesn't help that she stuffs her cellulite *** on those leotards that made her look like a European sausage :queenriri:

I don't like Wendy but it's safe to say she doesn't hate Britney. You can tell she bashes her for audience bating which is wrong in so many ways but she praises her current performance style. Beyonka though, she always says rude things to ha :staysalty:

You must only be familiar with TV Wendy in recent years...

2 hours ago, A.D. said:

European sausage? :ricackle:

Archived