Pretty Girls: Was it really a "promo" single?

Was Pretty Girls really supposed to be a Promo single on its release, or was it labelled so after it flopped? :orangu: Was it meant to be the first single from B9?

Which other artist has done that before? Is Gaga going to make PI a promo single? :orangu: 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Promo singles don't typically get video treatments and full on promotional schedules, sis. She talked about it in all the interviews. :donewithit: And yes, both Iggy and Britney confirmed that it was meant to be the lead of Glory. :verycool: I'm not mad about it. Love Me Down has a very similar beat kicking in at around the 2:11 mark, so it's not like that sound wouldn't have been completely out of sync with the album. It definitely would've been the standard high energy song, but it would've sounded very jarring compared to some of the other mid-tempo songs on the album.

And now that I think about it... Her vocals are very similar in PG to what we hear in PS, Clumsy and WYN... :tbh: Maybe they were all recorded close together?

1 minute ago, LilyRoseAllen said:

Where have you seen that it's considered as a promo single now?

It wasn't a promo single? I wasnt so active within the fanbase during that era :drown: 

It wasnt announced as the lead single, was it?

2 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

Promo singles don't typically get video treatments and full on promotional schedules, sis. She talked about it in all the interviews. :donewithit: And yes, both Iggy and Britney confirmed that it was meant to be the lead of Glory. :verycool: I'm not mad about it. Love Me Down has a very similar beat kicking in at around the 2:11 mark, so it's not like that sound wouldn't have been completely out of sync with the album. It definitely would've been the standard high energy song, but it would've sounded very jarring compared to some of the other mid-tempo songs on the album.

And now that I think about it... Her vocals are very similar in PG to what we hear in PS, Clumsy and WYN... :tbh: Maybe they were all recorded close together?

I am glad that Iggy got #blocked

Just now, KW. said:

It wasn't a promo single? I wasnt so active within the fanbase during that era :drown: 

It was announced as a single. Larry said they were trying new things, that singles mattered more than albums and that she wasn't planning on releasing an album anytime soon... I don't remember her or Iggy saying Uggly Girls to be the first single of an album!

I think that when Britney saw how bad the critical and commercial receptions were, she decided to go in a different direction. And thank god, PG is not a very good single...

2 minutes ago, KW. said:

I am glad that Iggy got #blocked

I will never understand why the fanbase hates her so viciously. :britdrown:

When that song came out, we were treating Iggy like we're treating G-Eazy now (minus all the thirst LOL) and the second she was brutally honest and said what everyone on Exhale was thinking (that the song was flopping 'cause Britney didn't give two flying ***** about promoting it) everyone turned their backs on her. It's really ******* hypocritical in my opinion. :lessons: 

IDK I think she did the song for fun, I mean considering that Iggy was huge when the song came out hence why it got so many views on YT. It flopped because it sounded way too much close to "Fancy". The video was cool though.  :letitburn:

She did say that she wrote and did so many songs at the beginning of making "Glory", so maybe "Pretty Girls" was the only good thing from these songs. :uknowit:

Just now, AutumnsGlory said:

I think iggy was trying to get relative again, especially when she directed PG MV trying to turn it into Fancy 2.0, she took it a little too personal with the meltdown over her not promoting, I don't hate her though.

I still low-key stan for her movie-inspired music videos and high-key stan for her high-profile collabs. They're usually bops like Fancy, Problem and Black Widow. :myjam: 

6 minutes ago, LilyRoseAllen said:

It was announced as a single. Larry said they were trying new things, that singles mattered more than albums and that she wasn't planning on releasing an album anytime soon... I don't remember her or Iggy saying Uggly Girls to be the first single of an album!

I think that when Britney saw how bad the critical and commercial receptions were, she decided to go in a different direction. And thank god, PG is not a very good single...

Yes! Now i remember Larry saying that. Omg, i am glad Glory turned out to be good. At that time, it seemed like they had no idea which direction to go into and were planning to throw a bunch of **** out there and see what sticks :drown: what damage it would have cost to Britney's image :drown:

Just now, KW. said:

Yes! Now i remember Larry saying that. Omg, i am glad Glory turned out to be good. At that time, it seemed like they had no idea which direction to go into and were planning to throw a bunch of **** out there and see what sticks :drown: what damage it would have cost to Britney's image :drown:

Collaborating with Iggy was too much... Thank God she stayed away from flops like Iggy and will.i.am...

6 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

When that song came out, we were treating Iggy like we're treating G-Eazy now (minus all the thirst LOL) and the second she was brutally honest and said what everyone on Exhale was thinking (that the song was flopping 'cause Britney didn't give two flying ***** about promoting it) everyone turned their backs on her. It's really ******* hypocritical in my opinion. :lessons: 

A couple of reasons tbh.

First it seemed like Britney was going the Madonna way by latching on to younger artists for popularity.

Second, Iggy was already a passing fad at that point. Just like how Madonna's feature with young artists came out after the artists' popularity was already reducing.

Third, PI was like Fancy 2.0, except more basic. 

Fourth, Iggy's image had taken a HUGE hit at that point, for valid reasons too. Britney did good by distancing herself from her. 

11 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

I hate Iggy cause her music sucks tbh. IDGAF about the rest!:donewithit:

I thought Britney said an album wasn't really in the works or its not coming for a while? did I mishear/misread? that she was just working on projects she wanted to work on.

i didnt think it was the kick off to a new album/era nor a buzz/promo single. it was just a song she released during her residency.

thats my thinking though, idk what it really was.

Archived