When did the GP turn on Britney?

The biggest turn started in 2003/2004 I guess when she started to be more rebellious, got married for a couple of days, then married Kevin, and then shaved her head (this is where people's view of her as a hot, beautiful pop star faded completely). 

Now, I think with the rise of young singers/performers who sing LIVE regardless of how much they suck makes people less forgiving of Britney's lip syncing, especially since she's not performing as good as she used to. Yes, she improved but there are still parts where she's not doing anything hard and still lip syncing when she easily could sing. Let's not forget she even lip syncs the ballads. I think that bores people and they just view her as a showgirl who somehow got famous for unknown reasons. So yea, I think the mot recent cause of the hate is the constant lip syncing (based on the comments everywhere), people are over it. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She had a grace period for for a long while from 2008 to 2013 where practically every bit of music she released had the critics raving. Seriously, go to Wikipedia and read the reviews for all the singles between Blackout to Scream & Shout. 4/5 stars, and some of the best reviews of her career.

Things soured during Britney Jean. Specifically GMA "Desert Performance" 2013. Work ***** plummeted and her golden period ended, and suddenly it was free for all Bash Britney For Everything Under The Sun fest just like 1999-2004. Humanity never learns its past mistakes. This is why people disgust me.

1 hour ago, D_Britfan said:

Were the gp ever on britneys side? Cause im pretty sure as long as shes been around shes had haters and people wishing death on her. The internet has just gave them a place to voice their awful opinions. They didnt have that back in the old days

Yes they did. The internet has been around ever since Britney debuted. Some wiuld say she was the first real big superstar of the Internet, including Google.

People HAVE been louder in defaming her lately. Its not in our heads.

Britney is in control now and that's why she gets the back lash she rebelled b/c she felt like she was being forced to do what other ppl wanted her to do...other ppls vision is Wat made her an icon. Her talent was the driving force but it was wades choreography and creative Vision for her iconic performances and her video ideas that were executed well. Now she is a boring mom and doesn't want to do anything similar to Wat made her who she is other than LIP SYNC I wish she would have clinged onto hardcore choreography the way she clings onto not singing :hype:

ppl like Britney the person and want her to be happy they are proud of her progress but at this point 2007 was 10 years ago so when they see her not performing the same they attribute that to her preferring to be a mom. Which in reality she does Britney's team think her name is all she needs and that's not it. Promotin won't help a single either of it has negative feedback. She knew damn well that if she was gonna take on the vmas after 9 years ppl were expecting PRIMENEY and she delivered her but she  didn't deliver PRIMENEY choreography or  stage show...it's like at bbma she had an "old Britney" production but her nerves got the best of her at first. At vmas she had all the attitude and stage presence but the stage was empty af with tacky outfits and lip sync 

since when has any comments section reflected the overall opinions of the GP, its all out of touch fanbases that leave negative comments, the GP don't bother commenting at all if they don't like a song or a performance

oh and we need to stop making out Britney is the only artist out there getting hate, everyone gets it

I think when she started dating k-fed. Or maybe just before. She got married in vegas and everyone kind of thought she was 'trainwreck'. I remember my prerogative came out too and wasnt kevin in that video? I was slayed by that video and song, and had her greatest hits cd which was like my fave cd but i remember her getting a lot of flack around that time.  I think ppl didn't like seeing their 'virgin princess' dating some dirt bag with a pregnant gf. 

I've noticed a lot of comments, esp on youtube where people say that ''you can see that she just wants to be a mom and live a normal life without the fame, she's not into being a performer, etc'', and I honestly think the gp started with these comments after 2011. I mean everyone was there for her comeback, but a lot of people also noticed her dead eyes during the femme fatale era, so I would think the gp started to turn on her then

But those who write horrible comments/hate comments have probably disliked her since 2003 or probably after her meltdown

14 minutes ago, MX3 said:

I think when she started dating k-fed. Or maybe just before. She got married in vegas and everyone kind of thought she was 'trainwreck'. I remember my prerogative came out too and wasnt kevin in that video? I was slayed by that video and song, and had her greatest hits cd which was like my fave cd but i remember her getting a lot of flack around that time.  I think ppl didn't like seeing their 'virgin princess' dating some dirt bag with a pregnant gf. 

This too! I think the term 'white trash' was thrown around when she started dating him and flaunting their 'love' around

1 hour ago, makemeslay said:

Yes they did. The internet has been around ever since Britney debuted. Some wiuld say she was the first real big superstar of the Internet, including Google.

This. Y'all act like the internet didn't exist before Youtube and the like. But there were anti Britney Spears websites everywhere on the internet long before Youtube and Instagram, hosted on fossils like Geocities and Yahoo. There was even a site that tried to prove she'd gotten a **** job, and that the first time she injured her knee working on "Sometimes" was when she'd gotten it-- they claimed the injury was a lie because she needed longer recovery time, and used pictures from the Teen Choice Awards that year as proof of this. So no, it's not new. It is aided by social media, however.

And it has gotten louder in the last couple of years. Whether anyone wants to attribute this to their stupid "Robotney" comments or stans of others being scared, Idk. I did notice it increased around the time of the BBMAs, so I'd say the majority of it is the latter.

She was always hated. But there's a huge difference in being hated but successful and being hated when no one cares about you. People hate Justin Bieber, he is the most hated artist nowadays but they still listen to his music! I see a lot of comments of people that feel even embarrassed because they actually like his songs. Britney was pretty much like that (except that she was never as hated as Justin B). 

People lost interest on Britney. Damn, even her fans. We're not the same fanbase after the ''terrible'' years that followed Circus era. It was easy to make a comeback when the whole world was watching her every step, but now that they simply don't care it will be hard to be this successful again. 

4 hours ago, makemeslay said:

No they really didnt, the internet was super basic back in early 2000s and was no where near as easy to access either. You had to really work to spread hate back in the day. Theres more noise because britney is putting herself back in the public eye this era duh, no one was bothered about defaming her when it seemed like she had dropped off the face of the earth in vegas.

13 hours ago, Jdub318 said:

Is it just me or has anyone else been witnessing all the negative comments about her? Twitter, Facebook, YouTube. People really want her to retire and it makes me sad :embarrassney:

i think that vma performance really hurt her reputation :( 

I don't know why but it just seems like a lot of people are hating on her. It makes me sad as a fan. I've always loved Britney on top and slaying everyone but it feels like she's a has been. Does anyone else feel this way? :angietea:

I think it really went over the top (finalized it) after "X-Factor." See because before that, there was 2007, but people didn't hold the meltdown against her that much (the Media however ruthless). 2008ney came and people were excited for her comeback (GP included). She did well obviously, but then people (void of controversy) began to lose interest. Though that wasn't that bad, then the reports of her being "zombie-like" started. That was bad enough but then that really went into overdrive during the X-factor airing. It could've gone either way. It was a make or break situation, the show could have proved everybody wrong and shown that Britney STILL is the energetic pop star we all grew up with or show her to be disinterested and lacking strong emotions. Unfortunately because she was so guarded during the X-factor, it just made her look worse. GP have rolled with this since, and obviously since then we've had the BJ album followed the PG debacle.

Archived