Updated! NYTimes: Britney Spears Promises Pleasure, but Offers Nothing Personal 50/100.

Alejo.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish she would make a personal album. She would probably be critically acclaim. I would pick a more personal album version over just *** Glory any day. That's just not Britney. Everytime is one of my favorite songs because I know it's personal and a part of a reason it's so loved. I think Glory would be a lot better if some more personal songs and ballads were in it.

She wrote half of the album, she is single, there's nothing shallow about it. She wanted to have fun and chill. If you are not in love or hacing a breakup how are ou supposed to talk about it in your music. She is not desperate seeking attention, she is not Taylor or Adele, this is a dance pop album.

Well, music today is very political, just like Beyonce. Being Britney who always sing about ***.. it won't do any good for her charisma approach.. She's not young anymore like Taylor, so there goes her demographic

Britney is a fckin 34 yo not 76. And she is much that flatboard snake

Well, music today is very political, just like Beyonce. Being Britney who always sing about ***.. it won't do any good for her charisma approach.. She's not young anymore like Taylor, so there goes her demographic

She is not that kind of an artist, she stays true to herself and i respect that. She knows what's the best for her artistry. We shouldn't be picking up this album to pieces and taking it for what it is, wich is a great pop record. Madonna, Janet and Kylie have been doing entire albums about *** and love, and they are icons in their own way.

She wrote half of the album, she is single, there's nothing shallow about it. She wanted to have fun and chill. If you are not in love or hacing a breakup how are ou supposed to talk about it in your music. She is not desperate seeking attention, she is not Taylor or Adele, this is a dance pop album.

I'm aware. Still doesn't change my opinion. I will say I don't agree with the 50/100. I would give the album a 90/100 compared to her other work. :sickofu:

I wish she would make a personal album. She would probably be critically acclaim. I would pick a more personal album version over just *** Glory any day. That's just not Britney. Everytime is one of my favorite songs because I know it's personal and a part of a reason it's so loved. I think Glory would be a lot better if some more personal songs and ballads were in it.

I can guarantee you that no one would give a damn, and she wouldn't be more acclaimed, they would always find something to criticize. If that's the case, then Britney Jean had so much more personal lyrics, as she promised, ranging from her as a public figure, to her breakups, and even her spiritual/religious side. And yet they say BJ wasn't personal enough.

The thing is, people that already see Britney Spears as a joke of an artist, will never change their minds no matter what. If she came up with songs with " messages of doubts overcome, of pride, of confidence, of empowerment that doesn’t depend on pleasing a guy" then they would say she's just copying what other artists do and is missing her signature. Beyoncé could release a 50 min EP of just fart sounds and they would praise the artistry and vision and message and originality and sense of humor of the queen.

Glory is pop perfection and no review will change that :lessons:

I can guarantee you that no one would give a damn, and she wouldn't be more acclaimed, they would always find something to criticize. If that's the case, then Britney Jean had so much more personal lyrics, as she promised, ranging from her as a public figure, to her breakups, and even her spiritual/religious side. And yet they say BJ wasn't personal enough.

The thing is, people that already see Britney Spears as a joke of an artist, will never change their minds no matter what. If she came up with songs with " messages of doubts overcome, of pride, of confidence, of empowerment that doesn’t depend on pleasing a guy" then they would say she's just copying what other artists do and is missing her signature. Beyoncé could release a 50 min EP of just fart sounds and they would praise the artistry and vision and message and originality and sense of humor of the queen.

I really don't care about all that and I don't consider BJ personal... her most personal album was ITZ. I just would like a more personal album where she talks about things directly, but I love Glory. However, it's something that I would love. That's all.

If she came up with songs with " messages of doubts overcome, of pride, of confidence, of empowerment that doesn’t depend on pleasing a guy" then they would say she's just copying what other artists do and is missing her signature. Beyoncé could release a 50 min EP of just fart sounds and they would praise the artistry and vision and message and originality and sense of humor of the queen.

The funny thing is that "messages of empowerment" in his review linked to Hailee's Love Myself which is a song about jerking off.

...While Britney has had her jerking off anthem for 13 years now. :rihit:

Guest StrawberryKisses

I see what they're tryna say, but they're wrong. This album is 3-dimensional. Sure, it's all about partying, fun and consensual ***, but Britney isn't the one to spew her personal life like Taylor Swift or Justin Timberlake.  If everyone were to do that, then everyone could be a superstar. Britney is a POP STAR and ENTERTAINER. Her music has always been upbeat and fun - that's what we know her as. I don't think people listen to Britney to hear a sad story, they listen to her to get away from it. Britney doesn't need a personal album, we already have her breakdown to refer to if we want to see a more human side.

What I love about Britney though is that she can be **** without twerking or provocative 'pu$$y' lyrics. She has always had some class and humbleness about her. Why doesn't anyone mention that? And I'm a girl, but I don't give two craps about this 'feminist' movement, Taylor Swift vomit. It is not the role of Britney or Beyonce to be feminists. It's music, not politics. The thing I admire the most about Britney is that her personal life remains personal (for the most part), and that she sticks to her passions whether it'd be music or acting and doesn't get her hands wet in any other crap.

I don't mind the review, it was thoughtful and academic, without endless references to breakdowns or tabloid gossip. Honestly, I don't really detect any lies. It's true that Britney's forté is in being the ultimate sexpot - and the last couple eras have definitely been more of an appeal to convince us "See, she's still ****, right??" whereas now that sexiness speaks for itself. I don't think she was being overly criticised for not making things personal either - obviously we all find a deeper connection to her branding and music, and this person just doesn't. But she isn't being trashed for it. Plus I think we can all agree that B & her team are still figuring out her footing and placement in this new millennial world of music, but Glory is 100% a step in the right direction. This return to her ITZ roots, where she fully matured from being a teenybopper, is the perfect place to begin reconstructing her sound & image, and it all makes me even more excited for what's to come!

I don't think people listen to Britney to hear a sad story, they listen to her to get away from it.

Britney doesn't need a personal album, we already have her breakdown to refer to if we want to see a more human side.  

The thing I admire the most about Britney is that her personal life remains personal (for the most part)

Yes sistren!!!

:flawless:

I like reading the reviews just for the opinions but always just do me if I like t or not but this one was unnecessarily rude. Like he didn't even talk about the MUSIC (which is what you're paid to write about) and ignoring the personal tracks. Just annoyed that Britney is a single mom rich af who happens to want some D

Archived