Make Me could be the start of a new britney

mikepepsi

I just wanted to defend Brit's team a little. 

Britney is now in iconic territory, which means her music sells itself based off her brand. Madonna does this too. Most icons will not heavily promo because their label putting their name out there is plenty promo as is. Now Britney showed that when she promos ie Womanizer and Hold it Against me, supporting the music with performances and correct promotional strategy definitely works. So it remains to be seen why her label arent as vigorously pursuing a top of the chart position here.

But if you check Britney's top 10 digital singles, her record sales do not necessarily reflect the chart peak. In fact, Britney's biggest hits as of late have been ones with more longevity in the sales department, rather than the start big, fall fast affairs like Hold it Against Me.

Till the World Ends is a great example. That track debuted 20 on the charts, selling a little more than Make Me did in its first sales week, but became a huge radio hit, and it sold another 1 million copies between July 2011 and July 2016, showing that a track with quality will continue to sell outwith its initial charting range. 

Britney's team have always longed for longer-lasting chart hits, and when the songs flop, they desert them fast - aherm - perfume anyone?  It makes sense. They are trying to make money, and if the product costs way more than what they expect to get from it, it doesnt make sense.

By gradually rolling out promo for Make Me, Britney's team are trying to ensure longevity of the track rather than a fast burn. Throwing out the video immediately would grab headlines, but the track would fizzle fast as public interest diminishes. By lining up Iheartradio, the video release, and the VMAs, Britney's team are planning for this song to stick around for a while. So initial chart positions are not key. 

I'd also remind y'all that some of the most iconic and seminal Britney songs that are loved by millions to this day (Slave 4 U, Boys, I'm not a girl, Me against the Music) all debut and peaked way lower than Make Me, and are still considered some of her most famous moments. With Britney, charting positions are not necessarily the key to her iconic status, but rather its the quality of those songs and the story they tell. Britney sells albums and tour tickets, and thats actually really valuable to record labels these days, but with album sales down across the boards, her label are trying to adapt her to a new musical landscape where its all single downloads and make that work on a long term model.

But, keep in mind the team had planned for Make Me to be a surprise release at least one to two weeks later than it was forced to drop. Instead of adapting the plans because its clear Britney had made personal plans for the lead up to promo time, they stuck to it, hoping that Make Me would catch fire and slow burn through the summer. I still think it will, so let's not count it out yet. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with what you're saying, but you can't really compare 'Make Me' to 'Slave', 'MATM', etc. The industry is totally different now.  Had digital sales and streaming been a thing when some of her old songs were out, they would have peaked a lot higher.

Everything else... Spot on.  

People tend to forget this: Britney is a touring artist (that where the money actually coming in) and not THAT single song hit artist.

as long as people continue paying to see her, Larry and RCa are fine with it. 

Demi got a huge hit "Cool For The Summer" last year and Nick Jonas got hit after hit "Close" "Jealous" and they are struggle selling tickets.

Fifth Harmony got 2 hit song "WFH" and "Flex" but their tour can not sell and the whole arena was empty. 

People walk out from Selena Gomez concert cuz it's so boring. 

Britney is fine....Not anyone will be on her level. 

I could understand the logic of what you say about Perfume, but I've never agreed with that. Just because it "flops", instead of trying to help it, they just scrap everything? and it wasn't just Perfume, but they just entirely gave up on the whole album. The thing is, why don't they do things right since the beginning? You talk about the costs of releasing a song, and yet they allowed themselves to shoot an entire videoclip for Perfume that they ended up cutting in the worst way possible.

Things have changed a lot from the FF era to nowadays, and streaming counts so much more now. As you say, songs like Slave or MATM which weren't precisely considered hits, had another kind of impact in pop culture, or music, and that's what recent singles have been missing. I've never considered Britney Spears to be a radio artist. Her fame and success, her icon status, her relevancy were all thanks to, first of all, her music videos, and in second place, her live performances.

The MTV days are sure gone, but now we have YT and all the social media, and I see a lot of people overrating the radio airplay and underrating the power of the music videos. Perfume wasn't a bad song, but the video, having zero exciting or appealing things, made it non-existent, both the video and the song itself, to the GP. 

Pretty Girls, without being the greatest of her songs, peaked higher than a lot of her other singles, and its video was her fastest certified ever; people were watching it even if it wasn't for the most positive reasons. Tom's Diner, being so much better than PG and so much more positively acclaimed, again, is non-existent to the public, because of the lack of a visual.

You say that if they released the song and video at the same time, the buzz would die rapidly within' the next days, but I think if they made things right, a great song with a shocking release (with either a combo of song and video or song and live performance) could assure not only a good start, but longevity as well. If they could extend the viralness enough, the popularity would reach a point of no return for the following months. I know with Britney is really hard to achieve that these days, since it's still "uncool" to like her among the majority of the people, and she doesn't have as many followers on social media, but I think they've missed a lot of opportunities to build that "coolness" about liking Britney again in the past years. It's never too late though.

You see all these artists with their videoclips with maybe an average of 300M - 500M per video, but that's not just their fans doing campaigns, it's because the entire world is streaming. And about the MM release, I still don't get it. They were "afraid" the song would leak, but it never leaked in full like Work ***** or Tom's Diner, or others, so that's weird. And the video hasn't leaked after all these days neither, so why couldn't they just wait til "their planned date". The video must be done by now, how could releasing it at this point, even if it's "earlier than planned" could interfere with any other kind of promo she's pretending to do in the next months and especially after the song is already out? They should be planning the second single already instead, and release it closer to the album. Why wait so long?

8 hours ago, listener03 said:

People tend to forget this: Britney is a touring artist (that where the money actually coming in) and not THAT single song hit artist.

as long as people continue paying to see her, Larry and RCa are fine with it. 

Demi got a huge hit "Cool For The Summer" last year and Nick Jonas got hit after hit "Close" "Jealous" and they are struggle selling tickets.

Fifth Harmony got 2 hit song "WFH" and "Flex" but their tour can not sell and the whole arena was empty. 

People walk out from Selena Gomez concert cuz it's so boring. 

Britney is fine....Not anyone will be on her level. 

This is a great point. Music doesn't make money for artists anymore. Ticket sales and perfumes do. 

If you were to rank the "it" artists against Britney on a ticket sales chart, Britney would always rank #1 (along with legendary acts like Madonna and U2). 

10 hours ago, Pokémon Spears said:

I could understand the logic of what you say about Perfume, but I've never agreed with that. Just because it "flops", instead of trying to help it, they just scrap everything? and it wasn't just Perfume, but they just entirely gave up on the whole album. The thing is, why don't they do things right since the beginning? You talk about the costs of releasing a song, and yet they allowed themselves to shoot an entire videoclip for Perfume that they ended up cutting in the worst way possible.

Things have changed a lot from the FF era to nowadays, and streaming counts so much more now. As you say, songs like Slave or MATM which weren't precisely considered hits, had another kind of impact in pop culture, or music, and that's what recent singles have been missing. I've never considered Britney Spears to be a radio artist. Her fame and success, her icon status, her relevancy were all thanks to, first of all, her music videos, and in second place, her live performances.

The MTV days are sure gone, but now we have YT and all the social media, and I see a lot of people overrating the radio airplay and underrating the power of the music videos. Perfume wasn't a bad song, but the video, having zero exciting or appealing things, made it non-existent, both the video and the song itself, to the GP. 

Pretty Girls, without being the greatest of her songs, peaked higher than a lot of her other singles, and its video was her fastest certified ever; people were watching it even if it wasn't for the most positive reasons. Tom's Diner, being so much better than PG and so much more positively acclaimed, again, is non-existent to the public, because of the lack of a visual.

You say that if they released the song and video at the same time, the buzz would die rapidly within' the next days, but I think if they made things right, a great song with a shocking release (with either a combo of song and video or song and live performance) could assure not only a good start, but longevity as well. If they could extend the viralness enough, the popularity would reach a point of no return for the following months. I know with Britney is really hard to achieve that these days, since it's still "uncool" to like her among the majority of the people, and she doesn't have as many followers on social media, but I think they've missed a lot of opportunities to build that "coolness" about liking Britney again in the past years. It's never too late though.

You see all these artists with their videoclips with maybe an average of 300M - 500M per video, but that's not just their fans doing campaigns, it's because the entire world is streaming. And about the MM release, I still don't get it. They were "afraid" the song would leak, but it never leaked in full like Work ***** or Tom's Diner, or others, so that's weird. And the video hasn't leaked after all these days neither, so why couldn't they just wait til "their planned date". The video must be done by now, how could releasing it at this point, even if it's "earlier than planned" could interfere with any other kind of promo she's pretending to do in the next months and especially after the song is already out? They should be planning the second single already instead, and release it closer to the album. Why wait so long?

The only way to ensure longevity is to have the song played over and over again, which is achieved normally by radio deals and promo performances. Look at all the younger artists and look at Britney in her early days. they go everywhere and sing the song and even if its not really that good it gets stuck in peoples heads.

As of today, Britney has built a name for herself due to all that hard work, and can sell songs without promoting that much, nevertheless they will not achieve longevity. The way Make Me is playing on the radio is a very good sign that the song will last, because the gp is liking it. Team Britney has to plan everything out in order to make take this advantage and make it even bigger. That´s why they´re waiting to release the video and have a few performances planned down the road.

Make Me will be remembered I´m sure of it :comingthru:

14 hours ago, Steel_Magnolia said:

With Britney is was never about just the song. It was about the video, too.

Britney is (or should I say, was) a video artist. :mcry:

Exactly ... That's why I don't get why they didn't release it all at once ... I hate to say it but Beyonce gets that this generation likes visuals with they're music 

Just now, OCBoy1985 said:

Exactly ... That's why I don't get why they didn't release it all at once ... I hate to say it but Beyonce gets that this generation likes visuals with they're music 

Beyonce really is ruling the video world right now. She seems to be the only one treating them as pieces of art.

Videos have taken on such a different place in pop culture compared to what they used to...I used to watch them exclusively on TV, and only during particular time slots. Now, I forget to even watch them. They're no longer an "event" like they were when I was younger.

38 minutes ago, ZAM9315 said:

I'm sorry but the single isn't doing great to me personally.  I have yet to hear it on the radio repeatedly.   Most the GP does not even know  she has  the new single out. 

Then do something about it. Calling and request the song. 

11 minutes ago, Steel_Magnolia said:

Beyonce really is ruling the video world right now. She seems to be the only one treating them as pieces of art.

Videos have taken on such a different place in pop culture compared to what they used to...I used to watch them exclusively on TV, and only during particular time slots. Now, I forget to even watch them. They're no longer an "event" like they were when I was younger.

You mean the pieces of art that no ones will remember next year?:tiffanynod:

Her era come and gone to quick and with the surprise released ****, no memorable, no landmark, no hit song since "Beyonce" era so is "Lemonade" era.:excuseme:

I'm glad Britney keep teasing and spread her music through the whole year. And Make Me already did a first step as one of her best lead single since GM. 

Just now, listener03 said:

You mean the pieces of art that no ones will remember next year?:tiffanynod:

Her era come and gone to quick and with the surprise released ****, no memorable, no landmark, no hit song since "Beyonce" era so is "Lemonade" era.:excuseme:

I'm glad Britney keep teasing and spread her era through the whole year.  

The problem with those pieces of art is they were released on Tidal, and all at once.

The exclusivity and the mass release of visuals caused it to flame out quick...It was an interesting experiment, and I'm glad she did it. But I wonder what it actually did for her in the long run?

12 minutes ago, Steel_Magnolia said:

No because labels don't really have $$ for high budget vids like they used too ... Unless you are a HUGE name like Brit, Bey, TS or Rihann where they know they'll get the $$$ back & sum!

I wish Brit could've did something like ST 2013 ... It would've been EPIC ... Could U imagine all those Brit vids at once :yay:

Archived