Which Version of “Overprotected” Do You Prefer? (Song & Video)

1 hour ago, kgid said:

Darkchild - all the way

I saw it first, actually, and it felt so raw and also felt more real as far as the emotion of the song.  

Finding out years later the behind the scenes, from her book --- it solidified it for me.  It just feels more like she's feeeeeeeeeling what she's going through in the remix.  

The OG is good, but it's got more of a campy/acty vibe than genuine.

I agree on the video, she really went all out in the remix —& I feel the main reason for that was due to the breakup, & how she chose to present her best self, in optimism. It was definitely a power move, in my opinion.

That said, both versions are great in their own way, for sure.

15 minutes ago, DoYouDare? said:

I do find the remix video more vibrant & enjoyable, but I also like the choreo, & the intro with the swarm of press on the album version, but yes both songs/videos are good in their own way.

The Darkchild music video is one of her best videos. A shame it's so underrated.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Baronesse said:

The Darkchild version sounds off to me, like the speaker's glichting or something...

I sort of get where you're coming from.

Also, while I do believe the outfits, the choreography and the beats go hand in hand...

The entire blend of the remix seems too funky and does not match the theme of the song any more: self-discovery, highlighting the struggle of breaking free from the constraints of being overly sheltered and controlled by others.

This, on the other hand, is perfectly captured in the mix for the album version.

At the timestamp 2:39 there is a breakdown section for a couple of seconds where the music shifts to a more intense and rhythmic beat with the addition of some orchestral strings. That is where I empathise most with Britney's plight.

This part features layered vocal ad-libs, a driving bass line, and prominent percussion, adding an element of tension and urgency that enhances the song's theme of breaking free and asserting independence. 

Edited by Propagandalf
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Userxxxxxxxxxyes said:

Darkchild remix music video and song is more timeless the original one is so 2000s and she used her baby voice too much there tbh and its a little messy also mj inspired and in the remix one she was more herself

On a subconscious level, I always saw some MJ in a couple of scenes in the original video... Nice one!

Harry Potter Lol GIF by Sky

1 hour ago, NewDisplayName said:

I love original video more.. it’s more soulful like Britney is speaking to you and opens her heart.. it’s more emotional, she’s kind of vulnerable and she is gorgeous!!!

I like remix video as well and I like her attitude, media shade thing and dance moves are fire as well..

original video 10/10

remix 9.5/10

I agree, the original seems to communicate the message more effectively. In the album version, she’s seemingly venting, in contrast to the remix, where she’s simply being perky & outspoken. That said, she’s fierce in both versions, for sure.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Userxxxxxxxxxyes said:

Darkchild remix music video and song is more timeless the original one is so 2000s and she used her baby voice too much there tbh and its a little messy in the remix one she was more herself

They’re exactly the same vocals in both songs, haha it’s just the beat that changes, but I understand what you mean. They’re both great in their own way though.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.