The Industry Treats Britney As If She Was Dead

It is so weird to me how the industry pays “tribute” to Britney like if she was dead. Like seriously, Marilyn Monroe 2.0. It’s all so morbid & odd bc they do these things as if she no longer has a say in the matter. The way they even talk about her in  interviews as if she was no longer around…

I get she is iconic and all that, but I don’t see people copying someone like Beyonce, Janet Jackson or Madonna to the degree that they copy Britney…Like she is a living person & they treat her as if she is nothing more than the caricature of her popstar persona…

Edited by monalisaney81
  • Love 1
  • Like 5

Gurl what are u talking about? 

GLITTERMAGAZINE.CO

Halle Bailey and her boyfriend DDG pay tribute to the classic film, 'Poetic Justice,' posing as Janet...

GRAZIAMAGAZINE.COM

Though red carpet events have basically been non-existent for the past year and a half, Zendaya...

Britney is an icon, we should celebrate her legacy is finally embraced and shared with the world. Unlike others who has fallen into oblivion but still are actively working :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

• Like 1

Learn what a homage is BB... please.

Britney is a nostalgia act, people from her team are the ones selling her like she is dead, literally doing projects with no involvement of Britney the person.

You should feel good people still remember who she is and the good things about her image and career, even after all the mess her life became.

Madonna and Beyonce are praised all the time and people pay homage to them always. That's a normal thing when you’re an icon.

Edited by Dark Willow
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, Cuber said:

It's really scary. She is the most documented singer in history. Imagine you have 12 documentaries about you in a space of 3 years. HBO, Netflix, HULU, Apple, each streaming service has something about you, it's insane. But there is a phrase I read in an article "Britney has reached a level of fame that few reach, and no one survives, she is miraculously alive", so I think it's about her being very iconic, having been the last great icon of monoculture and having a great aspirational about it.

It was this way for Michael Jackson too.

• Like 1
Just now, Dark Willow said:

Learn what a homage is BB... please.

Britney is a nostalgia act, people from her team are the one selling her like she is dead, literally doing projects with no involvement of Britney the person.

You should feel good people still remember who she is and the good things about her image and career, even after all the mess her life became.

Madonna and Beyonce are praised all the time and people pay homage to them always. That's a normal thing when you’re an icon.

I understand what everyone is saying.

I just feel like the disconnect between every Britney homage and Britney herself makes everything feel…off. Like does she like it? Is it flattering to her? Does she hate it? Does she care? Should we care? :lostney_britney_what_confused_huh_who_looking_around_glory:

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, monalisaney81 said:

I just feel like the disconnect between every Britney homage and Britney herself makes everything feel…off. Like does she like it? Is it flattering to her? Does she hate it? Does she care? Should we care? :lostney_britney_what_confused_huh_who_looking_around_glory:

You feel this way because things are still "weird" even after the conservatorship ended. No one seems to be able to reach Britney directly. 

• Like 1

Britney isn't dead, but she is a nostalgia act. It's obvious that sooner or later someone will pay tribute to what she was between her debut and 2004. I think this should be a reason for fans to celebrate, and not create unnecessary drama. Furthermore, it is much better for her to receive these tributes than to be made fun of for what she posts on social media.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, monalisaney81 said:

Britney doesn't seem to like anything career wise nowadays, she thinks homages are insults and bullying... it wouldn’t be a surprise if she wants to drag Blake after seeing the pictures.

But... that's not ok, Britney needs to learn that love and admiration are not bad things... not everything is hate, bullying, attack.

She is clearly not well, so I hope they don't show to her Blake wearing the dress, or someone from the team should write something good about it when the IG back (or on twitter)

Blake isn't trying to be Britney or insult her, it's literally a way to show how iconic Britney is.

• Like 1
  • Super Mods
1 hour ago, monalisaney81 said:

It is so weird to me how the industry pays “tribute” to Britney like if she was dead. Like seriously, Marilyn Monroe 2.0. It’s all so morbid & odd bc they do these things as if she no longer has a say in the matter. The way they even talk about her in  interviews as if she was no longer around…

I get she is iconic and all that, but I don’t see people copying someone like Beyonce, Janet Jackson or Madonna to the degree that they copy Britney…Like she is a living person & they treat her as if she is nothing more than the caricature of her popstar persona…

I never thought about that but you do got a point.

It is kind strange how people do tributes to her as if she passed on.

She's not even dead yet.

I do thing  we need to chill sometimes and accept good things when it comes to Blake lively saying nice things about Britney, or Halsey doing a horrible cover of lucky ( because it’s horrible :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:) but at least she tried and she’s very inspired by Britney ( which is amazing) 

I think this is how the world of art, music, movies-works. It’s a cycle, a beautiful one. 

Edited by Imnotcrazy
29 minutes ago, Princessmimi said:

I never thought about that but you do got a point.

It is kind strange how people do tributes to her as if she passed on.

She's not even dead yet.

Yeah but Britney herself is doing a biopic, something she claimed it should be done after she died... yet here we are.

Britney and her team act like she died a long time ago, she became a nostalgia act when she was in her 30s.

Now her team pretends to be her on social media (allegedly) and they are releasing anything they can to milk her brand, like MJ and Whitney teams are doing.

We never hear from Britney mouth most of the things now. She's basically dead, at least from a business perspective. 

• Like 2
  • Super Mods
33 minutes ago, Dark Willow said:

Yeah but Britney herself is doing a biopic, something she claimed it should be done after she died... yet here we are.

Britney and her team act like she died a long time ago, she became a nostalgia act when she was in her 30s.

Now her team pretends to be her on social media (allegedly) and they are releasing anything they can to milk her brand, like MJ and Whitney teams are doing.

We never hear from Britney mouth most of the things now. She's basically dead, at least from a business perspective. 

Yeah that's the weird thing.

Like how come we never hear from Britney herself or why doesn't she speak up about rumors and allegations,etc?

If she did an interview, it would clear everything up so quickly but yet she chooses to have Cade and others speak for her.

• Love 2

I kind of agree...

She seems to be everywhere right now through all these references and tributes. The new merch, new perfume, music being used in movies, the Biopic. Britney nostalgia is at a peak. She's everywhere ... but Britney herself is nowhere to be seen or heard.

It would feel less unsettling if we knew that Britney was safe and cozy living on a remote island and enjoying her success and just having fun with all these references.

But it still feels off...:calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

Maybe she just literally handed they keys over to Cade and is like "here you go do whatever you want, make me some money, who cares".

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ElectricPlatypusLove said:

Some of us feel it's better to honor the artists who inspire us while they're still here, rather than waiting til they've passed to give them their flowers.

I don't have an opinion on Halsey honoring an artist such as Britney by drawing inspiration from Britney's music; it makes sense and feels genuine. But I never really got dressing as the person as a form of tribute. Whether it was Kim dressing as Marilyn or Blake dressing as Britney in the exact same dresses. I don't get where the honoring is done in that gesture?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, monalisaney81 said:

Because she is no longer working and she is retired.

Imitation is a form flattery... Even britney imitated Janet...

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.